Road Bike - buying advice. $5000

tomUK

Oct 20, 2003
Maybe this is like asking the question 'what car shall I buy?' however, I have $5000 (and I'm in the US - don't be confused by my screename!) to spend on a new road bike.

Carbon frame, a given. Would prefer Shimano Groupset.

Any thoughts for best value/build/customer service? I've been looking at a few.. Trek, Cannondale, Specialized and Boardman (anyone know much about these?)

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tom, I'm gathering you're light on responses as it is a bit like what car shall I buy, or imo which girl should I date? Boardman isn't really an option in the states, or if it is it's pretty recent and not available in any of the bike shops I've been to in NYC. Any one of those companies is going to build a good bike so if that were the criteria I would base my choice on the bike shop that carries (or doesn't) the model I was interested in and their customer service. Those are the blokes you are likely going to have to deal with the most for any issues, even just maintenance if that's not something you handle. Personally I've based almost every auto/motorcycle/bicycle/girl decision on what fires up my loins so may not be the most qualified for a pragmatic answer.

If I had $5G I would probably pick up a Cinelli Pro Estrada with Chorus and some Zipp 303 tubbies, but that's me. I'm just the kind of bozo that shuns lining up at the start of a race with the same bike as every other fella.

Thank you for the reply. I figured that it's mostly about personal pref. Scott seem to be good value but I like the Cervelo S5.

choices choices!
first world problem, huh?!

Yes. Choice can probably be considered to be a "First World" problem ...

FWIW. While there are several off-the-peg bikes which are certainly bargains at $5000, I think for that amount of money 'I' would prefer to buy the frame separately & (also) add the component Group-[COLOR= #ff0000]or[/COLOR]-components of MY choice ...

• while I 'love' SHIMANO components, I definitely prefer CAMPAGNOLO shifters.

At that price, there is no bad bike. Also, why is carbon fiber a "given"? Instead of focusing on frame material (which tells you nothing important about how a frame will work for you), focus on fit, ride quality, price, and how a given bike's aesthetics appeal to you. This means you need to test ride bikes that interest you. How anyone else rates a bike can be the opposite of how you might rate that same bike after a ride. To repeat: test ride some bikes. Buy the one that fits best, rides best, fits within your price constraints, and most appeals to you.

Originally Posted by tomUK .

Thank you for the reply. I figured that it's mostly about personal pref. Scott seem to be good value but I like the Cervelo S5.

choices choices!
first world problem, huh?!
Not necessarily .... in just about every nook and cranny of the world there are a few lucky people who can have whatever they want (or have the means to do whatever it takes to get it).

I agree with alienator about "carbon is a given". I ride carbon, but steel and alu too. All are unique and enjoyable. $5k puts you in the realm of Ti also. Kinda crazy that $5k also requires some key choices to be made - isn't quite in the carte blanche range. Unless you don't have a clue about bikes, you really won't find a bad bike in that price range .. just one that may not be right for you. Only you will know that. Frame vs. wheels? Wheels vs. group set? Cockpit goodies vs. ..... yada.

If it was me and I had a carbon limitation, I'd ride on over to Bob Parlee's shop and have a Z2/Z3 made up. He's close and I do like his frames. Seven's around the bend too, as is Independent Fabrication. Circle A makes some sweet steel bikes. So many options out there.

Bottom line ... it's your money and you should have fun spending it!

For $5k, I could have a custom Ti frame with Di2 components, and still have sufficient money left over for a good set of wheels (which also wouldn't be carbon...). I have about half that into a stock Ti frame with Ultegra and Mavic Open Pro wheels.