Road Bike Buying Advice

mcgr

Aug 11, 2007
I am soon going to buy a bike, my budget is AU$1000 (US$837). I am going to go to a good bike shop. My question is: is there really that much difference between a $1000 and $4000 bike as I will be riding with people with more expensive bikes? And finally will the bike bring my average speed down (and by how much!)?

Thanks in advance

mcgr said:
I am soon going to buy a bike, my budget is AU$1000 (US$837). I am going to go to a good bike shop. My question is: is there really that much difference between a $1000 and $4000 bike as I will be riding with people with more expensive bikes? And finally will the bike bring my average speed down (and by how much!)?

Thanks in advance
Just about all of us (I imagine anyway) started on bikes well under a $1000 - yes there is a difference between a $1000 and the $4000 bike (the biggest difference being $3000) - but once you start to get into the higher price bracket - the frames, wheels and other components get lighter and it is claimed more efficient.

However, a $1000 bike these days is a good deal - particularly Giant, their OCRs are good value for the money and have some long lasting parts - the Shimano Sora components now come in 9 speed.

The difference in weight is only going to be 1-2kgs maximum until you get many $$$$$ over your budget.

I started on a $180 steel road bike with down tube shifters that was way too big for me - but loved it, then I moved up to Sora, now I'm riding with Ultegra - yes the bike is lighter and feels a little more smooth and stable, but I'm still getting thrashed at the club by people on bikes that are well older.

Have fun on your journey

If you can leave your ego at the door the most important thing is comfort. Unless of course you plan to race ect. Otherwise find a bike that fits you well with a decent groupo. There are differences between beginner vs. expensive bikes and like mentioned it's generally the groupo and wheels that make up a big part of the difference. Frames these days can also cost you 3,000 U.S. and more, which unless your made of money, or your frames are given to you, is a little excessive. When I made the jump from a steel Lemond to my Cervelo Soloist(not an expensive frame at 1200) the biggest difference I found was the power transfer wich each pedal stroke. Night and day. The cervelo seems to have no wasted effort with all power going right to the ground. It was also a better geometry for me as well, since Lemond's are very upright in comparison. Spend some time and ride a few bikes in your price range. I hear the Trek 1000 is a great bike for the money.

Best of luck