Road Bike Buying Woes...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter. I have been using my 2002 Giant NRS1
    full-suspension mountain bike for my commuting needs. It has been a long time since I have owned a
    road bike, so the technology and componentry knowledge has fallen at the wayside. A recent move
    farther from work has forced my hand (or butt) to look at a road bike for this task. My price range
    is about $650 to start, with upgrades maybe later. The choices at the local shop (which I am rather
    loyal to) are as follows:

    2002 Specialized Allez A1 24 - $599 (down from $749) 2003 Specialized Allez 24 - $549 2003 Giant
    OCR 3 - $599

    I would like to be brand loyal to Giant, as I have been for 11 years, but the guys at the shop have
    been pushing the '02 Specialized. They say it is the best deal based on its markdown. However, I
    have read (and would assume) that the '03 Allez 24 has gotten better since the previous year. The
    '03 Allez seems like the best deal, and form what little I have been able to read about these, is
    potentially the best. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you all in
    advance for your advice.

    Sincerely,

    Wes

    -Keep the rubber side down-

    Tags:

  2. "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter.

    What that this have to do with racing? If nothing, please don't post it here. Rec.bicycles.tech is
    the place for technical discussion of bikes, rec.bicycles.marketplace for discussion of prices, how
    to buy etc.

    Thanks,

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Steve <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter. I have been using my 2002 Giant NRS1
    > full-suspension mountain bike for my commuting needs. It has been a long time since I have owned a
    > road bike, so the technology and componentry knowledge has fallen at the wayside. A recent move
    > farther from work has forced my hand (or butt) to look at a road bike for this task. My price
    > range is about $650 to start, with upgrades maybe later. The choices at the local shop (which I am
    > rather loyal to) are as follows:
    >
    > 2002 Specialized Allez A1 24 - $599 (down from $749) 2003 Specialized Allez 24 - $549 2003 Giant
    > OCR 3 - $599

    What's in a name? I suggest getting a bike that has at least Shimano 105 and then a frame with a
    ride that you like. You may well find a good deal on a new '02 via eBay.

    -WG

  4. Dan Lind

    Dan Lind Guest

    hey JFT, chill out dude -- don't be such a dickhead.....i just got done reading about cipo and
    formula one racing -- what the hell does THAT have to do with BIKE racing?

    steve asked a valid question, since it is possible he could someday use one of these bikes to do a
    local cat 5 race -- so mellow out!

    steve, sorry i can't be more help, but i'm not familiar with either of these bikes, as i'm a serotta
    guy myself -- good luck with your research!

    DJL

    > "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter.
    >
    > What that this have to do with racing? If nothing, please don't post it here. Rec.bicycles.tech is
    > the place for technical discussion of bikes, rec.bicycles.marketplace for discussion of prices,
    > how to buy etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JT

    > NB: reply-to address is munged
    >
    > Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  5. triathlete13

    triathlete13 Guest

    And I'm a Trek guy, but I think he's right. I'm on a carbon fiber and boy I like it compared to a
    steel frame. Depends on how much riding you'll do ( and racing ; ] )

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:030120032133532796%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Steve <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter. I have been using my 2002 Giant NRS1
    > > full-suspension mountain bike for my commuting needs. It has been a long time since I have owned
    > > a road bike, so the technology and componentry knowledge has fallen at the wayside. A recent
    > > move farther from work has forced my hand (or butt) to look at a road bike for this task. My
    > > price range is about $650 to start, with upgrades maybe later. The choices at the local shop
    > > (which I am rather loyal to) are as follows:
    > >
    > > 2002 Specialized Allez A1 24 - $599 (down from $749) 2003 Specialized Allez 24 - $549 2003 Giant
    > > OCR 3 - $599
    >
    > What's in a name? I suggest getting a bike that has at least Shimano 105 and then a frame with a
    > ride that you like. You may well find a good deal on a new '02 via eBay.
    >
    > -WG

  6. Wes Crout

    Wes Crout Guest

    > "Wes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter.
    >
    > What that this have to do with racing? If nothing, please don't post it here. Rec.bicycles.tech is
    > the place for technical discussion of bikes, rec.bicycles.marketplace for discussion of prices,
    > how to buy etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JT

    Wow, JT! Let me take time to sincerely apologize to you for the absolute inconvenience of having to
    read five text lines on the internet during your obviously already overwhelming life. The reason
    that I say only five lines versus the numerous paragraphs I originally wrote is this: If it took you
    more than five lines to figure out that this particular message was a waste of your time, then you
    are about as intelligent as I assume you to be.

    You see, I have been an avid cyclist for about 13 years. I realize that this fact might make me a
    novice in certain arenas that you are obviously accustomed to. However, I would hope that since a
    once exclusively road riding guy needed advice after a ten year hiatus, you would welcome the chance
    to help his transistion back into the mainstream of road riding. This is exactly why I choose to
    ride WITH my mountain bike buddies and commute through my own loneliness on the road...there are few
    road riders that are able to release their grip on the pedestal that only exists in their mind.

    Additionally, you could have made a slight attempt at answering my question after mentioning its
    misplacement. I would have both learned a lesson about Google Groups and my future road bike
    purchase. Then again, your knowledge of anything cycling probably abruptly ends at your ability to
    log onto rec.bicycles.racing through this wicked tool known to us as Google.

    Free tip for you: Ride more, surf net less.

    Regards,

    Wes

  7. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Dan Lind" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hey JFT, chill out dude -- don't be such a dickhead.....i just got done reading about cipo and
    > formula one racing -- what the hell does THAT have
    > do with BIKE racing?
    >
    > steve asked a valid question, since it is possible he could someday use
    one
    > of these bikes to do a local cat 5 race -- so mellow out!
    >
    > steve, sorry i can't be more help, but i'm not familiar with either of
    these
    > bikes, as i'm a serotta guy myself -- good luck with your research!
    >
    > DJL

    JT is 100% correct. It's too bad this newsgroup has turned into a forum of junk. I would certainly
    like to encourage new riders with their questions but this is not the forum for it. Unfortunately,
    about 80% of what is posted here is junk that has nothing to do with racing.

    Danny Callen

  8. Jim Quinn

    Jim Quinn Guest

    Why is it that when anybody hears something they don't want to they immediately go for the attack.
    My guess Wess is that JT know a heck of a lot more about cycling than you do.

    As for getting advise about which bicycle to buy from this newsgroup I would advise against it. What
    you are going to get is a lot of opinions about bicycles that each individual has. Just because
    somebody likes their Schwin Cruiser does not make it a good bicycle for you. And just because
    another person hates their $5,000 Colnago doesn't make it a bad bicycle. Also be wary of magazines,
    I have yet to read a bad review of a bicyce in a magazine. You might check out roadbikereview.com
    but what you really need to do is to go test drive the bicycles in quesiton. "Wes Crout"
    > "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Wes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter.
    > >
    > > What that this have to do with racing? If nothing, please don't post it here. Rec.bicycles.tech
    > > is the place for technical discussion of bikes, rec.bicycles.marketplace for discussion of
    > > prices, how to buy etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > JT
    >
    > Wow, JT! Let me take time to sincerely apologize to you for the absolute inconvenience of having
    > to read five text lines on the internet during your obviously already overwhelming life. The
    > reason that I say only five lines versus the numerous paragraphs I originally wrote is this: If it
    > took you more than five lines to figure out that this particular message was a waste of your time,
    > then you are about as intelligent as I assume you to be.
    >
    > You see, I have been an avid cyclist for about 13 years. I realize that this fact might make me a
    > novice in certain arenas that you are obviously accustomed to. However, I would hope that since a
    > once exclusively road riding guy needed advice after a ten year hiatus, you would welcome the
    > chance to help his transistion back into the mainstream of road riding. This is exactly why I
    > choose to ride WITH my mountain bike buddies and commute through my own loneliness on the
    > road...there are few road riders that are able to release their grip on the pedestal that only
    > exists in their mind.
    >
    > Additionally, you could have made a slight attempt at answering my question after mentioning its
    > misplacement. I would have both learned a lesson about Google Groups and my future road bike
    > purchase. Then again, your knowledge of anything cycling probably abruptly ends at your ability to
    > log onto rec.bicycles.racing through this wicked tool known to us as Google.
    >
    > Free tip for you: Ride more, surf net less.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Wes

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > JT is 100% correct. It's too bad this newsgroup has turned into a forum of junk. I would certainly
    > like to encourage new riders with their questions but this is not the forum for it. Unfortunately,
    > about 80% of what is
    posted
    > here is junk that has nothing to do with racing.

    What has this to do with bicycle racing?

    See how easy it is to do? This is winter time and there isn't very much to talk about anyway.
    Cyclocross season is pretty much gone for the holidays and will only pick up for the World's. No
    road season unless you are strange enough to be interested in that Aussie stuff. Man, racing in the
    heat of winter....

    So who cares what the subjects are? Oh, yeah, John does. But John's suggestion to the guy would put
    him in a group where Albright, Palachick, Cipale, Trdina or the rest wouldn't use his posting
    strictly to take pot shots at him.

  10. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:

    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> JT is 100% correct. It's too bad this newsgroup has turned into a forum of junk. I would
    >> certainly like to encourage new riders with their questions but this is not the forum for it.
    >> Unfortunately, about 80% of what is
    > posted
    >> here is junk that has nothing to do with racing.
    >
    > What has this to do with bicycle racing?
    >
    > See how easy it is to do? This is winter time and there isn't very much to talk about anyway.
    > Cyclocross season is pretty much gone for the holidays and will only pick up for the World's. No
    > road season unless you are strange enough to be interested in that Aussie stuff. Man, racing in
    > the heat of winter....
    >
    > So who cares what the subjects are? Oh, yeah, John does. But John's suggestion to the guy would
    > put him in a group where Albright, Palachick, Cipale, Trdina or the rest wouldn't use his posting
    > strictly to take pot shots at him.

    tommy, before you cast (wild-ass) aspersions, tell me, when have I ever denigrated someone's
    (besides your moronic, homophobic, racist) posts?

    Oh.. you can't? Okay... never mind.

    Now, as far as you busting on JT or Danny, well... I guess it is typical for you. I personally have
    no problem with the original poster's request for information. If I had a word of advice, I would
    offer advice similar to that of Warren's. But, you like to jump ass-first into the fray and begin
    slinging (what you think) are insults.

    Joe
    --

    Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
    State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting

  11. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > JT is 100% correct. It's too bad this newsgroup has turned into a forum
    of
    > > junk. I would certainly like to encourage new riders with their
    questions
    > > but this is not the forum for it. Unfortunately, about 80% of what is
    > posted
    > > here is junk that has nothing to do with racing.
    >
    > What has this to do with bicycle racing?
    >
    > See how easy it is to do? This is winter time and there isn't very much to talk about anyway.
    > Cyclocross season is pretty much gone for the holidays and will only pick up for the World's. No
    > road season unless you are
    strange
    > enough to be interested in that Aussie stuff. Man, racing in the heat of winter....
    >
    > So who cares what the subjects are? Oh, yeah, John does. But John's suggestion to the guy would
    > put him in a group where Albright, Palachick, Cipale, Trdina or the rest wouldn't use his posting
    > strictly to take pot shots at him.

    Sometimes, I'm not sure if you could make a good argument if you tried, Tom. It is fine to let
    someone know where a more appropriate forum is for his inquiry. I'm not a zealot for posting on
    topic but JT was 100% correct in his post and yes, it is still unfortunate that the group is full of
    junk...including mine and your post.

    Danny Callen

  12. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 16:37:36 -0500, "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > JT is 100% correct. It's too bad this newsgroup has turned into a forum
    >of
    >> > junk. I would certainly like to encourage new riders with their
    >questions
    >> > but this is not the forum for it. Unfortunately, about 80% of what is
    >> posted
    >> > here is junk that has nothing to do with racing.

    >Sometimes, I'm not sure if you could make a good argument if you tried, Tom. It is fine to let
    >someone know where a more appropriate forum is for his inquiry. I'm not a zealot for posting on
    >topic but JT was 100% correct in his post and yes, it is still unfortunate that the group is full
    >of junk...including mine and your post.
    >
    >Danny Callen

    The OP's post was more on topic than many which have threads that go on for days.

    Anyway, Tom is a known usenet kook and belongs in your kill file unless you enjoy reading
    his taunts.

    Oh, Danny boy, what is your claim to fame? <g>

    What kind of racing do you do, road, track, off-road?

    Have you measured your power output? What is your highest average power output for a one hour .

    Do you use an indoor trainer in the winter? What kind of workouts do you do.

    I'm trying to improve my average power output by 50 watts, I've been using a Computrainer on and off
    since November, plus riding outside weather permitting.

    Any suggestions other than to "fuck off"? <g>

    Sparhawk

  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 16:37:36 -0500, "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Anyway, Tom is a known usenet kook and belongs in your kill file unless you enjoy reading
    > his taunts.

    This guy signs on, starts insulting someone without apparently reading the post and then starts
    asking all sorts of gay questions. And then signs with a gay 'handle'. Seems like Cipale's sort.

    > Oh, Danny boy, what is your claim to fame? <g>
    >
    > What kind of racing do you do, road, track, off-road?
    >
    > Have you measured your power output? What is your highest average power output for a one hour .
    >
    > Do you use an indoor trainer in the winter? What kind of workouts do you do.
    >
    > I'm trying to improve my average power output by 50 watts, I've been using a Computrainer on and
    > off since November, plus riding outside weather permitting.
    >
    > Any suggestions other than to "fuck off"? <g>
    >
    > Sparhawk

  14. Bbc3

    Bbc3 Guest

    "Tom Kunich" wrote:
    > This guy signs on, starts insulting someone without apparently reading the post and then starts
    > asking all sorts of gay questions. And then signs
    with
    > a gay 'handle'. Seems like Cipale's sort.

    I just figured out who you remind me of, Kunich. Colonel Fitts from the movie American Beauty.

    --
    Bill

  15. BBC3 wrote:
    > I just figured out who you remind me of, Kunich. Colonel Fitts from the movie American Beauty.

    Welcome to the neighbourhood, sir! It was on again this christmas holiday. Great.

  16. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    You are welcome to post here as far as I am concerned, but *.tech would yeild much better answers
    for you. Good luck.

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter. I have been using my 2002 Giant NRS1
    > full-suspension mountain bike for my commuting needs. It has been a long time since I have owned a
    > road bike, so the technology and componentry knowledge has fallen at the wayside. A recent move
    > farther from work has forced my hand (or butt) to look at a road bike for this task. My price
    > range is about $650 to start, with upgrades maybe later. The choices at the local shop (which I am
    > rather loyal to) are as follows:
    >
    > 2002 Specialized Allez A1 24 - $599 (down from $749) 2003 Specialized Allez 24 - $549 2003 Giant
    > OCR 3 - $599
    >
    > I would like to be brand loyal to Giant, as I have been for 11 years, but the guys at the shop
    > have been pushing the '02 Specialized. They say it is the best deal based on its markdown.
    > However, I have read (and would assume) that the '03 Allez 24 has gotten better since the previous
    > year. The '03 Allez seems like the best deal, and form what little I have been able to read about
    > these, is potentially the best. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanking
    > you all in advance for your advice.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Wes
    >
    > -Keep the rubber side down-

  17. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Wes Crout" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "John Forrest Tomlinson" <>...
    > > "Wes" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter.
    > >
    > > What that this have to do with racing? If nothing, please don't post it here. Rec.bicycles.tech
    > > is the place for technical discussion of bikes, rec.bicycles.marketplace for discussion of
    > > prices, how to buy etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks, JT
    >
    > Wow, JT! Let me take time to sincerely apologize to you for the absolute inconvenience of having
    > to read five text lines on the internet during your obviously already overwhelming life. The
    > reason that I say only five lines versus the numerous paragraphs I originally wrote is this: If it
    > took you more than five lines to figure out that this particular message was a waste of your time,
    > then you are about as intelligent as I assume you to be.

    JT's already forgotten more about road cycling and racing just since yesterday probably than I've
    known my entire life.

    He's an RBR Cop, sort of like me. I just take big offense to For Sale posts in a discussion group
    and have given up on the off-topic politics and other stuff that take about 40% of the posts here.

    Simmer down now OK Wes?

    Cool!

    > You see, I have been an avid cyclist for about 13 years. I realize that this fact might make me a
    > novice in certain arenas that you are obviously accustomed to. However, I would hope that since a
    > once exclusively road riding guy needed advice after a ten year hiatus, you would welcome the
    > chance to help his transistion back into the mainstream of road riding. This is exactly why I
    > choose to ride WITH my mountain bike buddies and commute through my own loneliness on the
    > road...there are few road riders that are able to release their grip on the pedestal that only
    > exists in their mind.

    END.

  18. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    BBC3 wrote:

    > "Tom Kunich" wrote:
    >> This guy signs on, starts insulting someone without apparently reading the post and then starts
    >> asking all sorts of gay questions. And then signs
    > with
    >> a gay 'handle'. Seems like Cipale's sort.
    >
    > I just figured out who you remind me of, Kunich. Colonel Fitts from the movie American Beauty.
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    Bill,

    With that one line, you have insulted a number of current and former service personnel. :^)

    Of course, tommy has never seen AB... I doubt he can understand it.

    Joe
    --

    Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
    State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting
    fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
    <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html> for details.

  19. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Wes Crout" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > What that this have to do with racing? If nothing, please don't post it here.
    > > > Rec.bicycles.tech is the place for technical discussion of bikes, rec.bicycles.marketplace for
    > > > discussion of prices, how to buy etc.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, JT
    > >
    > > Wow, JT! Let me take time to sincerely apologize to you for the absolute inconvenience of having
    > > to read five text lines on the internet during your obviously already overwhelming life. The
    > > reason that I say only five lines versus the numerous paragraphs I originally wrote is this: If
    > > it took you more than five lines to figure out that this particular message was a waste of your
    > > time, then you are about as intelligent as I assume you to be.
    >
    > JT's already forgotten more about road cycling and racing just since yesterday probably than I've
    > known my entire life.
    >
    > He's an RBR Cop, sort of like me. I just take big offense to For Sale posts in a discussion group
    > and have given up on the off-topic politics and other stuff that take about 40% of the posts here.
    >
    > Simmer down now OK Wes?
    >
    > Cool!
    >
    > > You see, I have been an avid cyclist for about 13 years. I realize that this fact might make me
    > > a novice in certain arenas that you are obviously accustomed to. However, I would hope that
    > > since a once exclusively road riding guy needed advice after a ten year hiatus, you would
    > > welcome the chance to help his transistion back into the mainstream of road riding. This is
    > > exactly why I choose to ride WITH my mountain bike buddies and commute through my own loneliness
    > > on the road...there are few road riders that are able to release their grip on the pedestal that
    > > only exists in their mind.
    >
    > END.

  20. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > JT's already forgotten more about road cycling and racing just since yesterday probably than I've
    > known my entire life.

    You said it Ken.

    > He's an RBR Cop, sort of like me.

    More confessions!