Road Bike Buying Woes...

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:iR4T9.486960$pN3.53908@sccrnsc03...

> "Wes Crout" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > What that this have to do with racing? If nothing, please don't post it here.
> > > Rec.bicycles.tech is the place for technical discussion of bikes, rec.bicycles.marketplace for
> > > discussion of prices, how to buy etc.
> > >
> > > Thanks, JT
> >
> > Wow, JT! Let me take time to sincerely apologize to you for the absolute inconvenience of having
> > to read five text lines on the internet during your obviously already overwhelming life. The
> > reason that I say only five lines versus the numerous paragraphs I originally wrote is this: If
> > it took you more than five lines to figure out that this particular message was a waste of your
> > time, then you are about as intelligent as I assume you to be.
>
> JT's already forgotten more about road cycling and racing just since yesterday probably than I've
> known my entire life.

You can say that again.

Thanks, Ronde Champ

"spam hater" wrote:
> With that one line, you have insulted a number of current and former service personnel. :^)
>
> Of course, tommy has never seen AB... I doubt he can understand it.

But it soooo fits. I wonder if Kunich will ever rent the movie to see himself in action?

--
Bill

"BBC3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<QA1S9.576315$%[email protected]>...
> "Tom Kunich" wrote:
> > This guy signs on, starts insulting someone without apparently reading the post and then starts
> > asking all sorts of gay questions. And then signs
> with
> > a gay 'handle'. Seems like Cipale's sort.
>
> I just figured out who you remind me of, Kunich. Colonel Fitts from the movie American Beauty.

I wonder just how sad someone could be that cannot think for themselves and so must use shallow
writing from shallow people in a shallow media to express themselves so badly.

Why don't you also use some character from the Disney version of Pocahantas?

Any mainstream bike for $500+ is going to be a good ride. As others have said, try to stick with
Shimano 105 or better (though you won't find better in this price range). If the whole bike isn't
105, make sure the shifters are. The rest can be upgraded as it wears out, if that ever happens.

What's more important than anything is comfort. Go to the shop with your commuting gear, and test
the bikes for 20 minutes each to see how they feel. Bring a combi-tool along to make adjustments
along the way.

Personally, for commuting, I'd go with steel, for comfort, price, and durability. Good steel frames
provide a smooth, responsive ride, without a significant weight penalty. If you bend a der hanger,
you just bend it back. Commuters get beat-up more than training bikes, so the steel's resiliance is
a good feature.

Remember that this bike is for commuting. The bikes you're considering are for entry-level racing.
It's like you need an SUV, and you're looking at Acura RSXs.

The tough part is that fad-shoppers have pushed the market away from steel, so decent steel
bikes are tough to find new without going premium. Steel road bikes are a great reason to shop
for used bikes.

For example, if you can find a used old Bridgestone RB-1, ride it. If you don't love it, I'd be
amazed. It'll be about a 21-lb road bike, but it will ride great, and the frame is tough enough that
many of them were converted to cyclocross duty. You'd probably be able to find a complete Ultegra
version for <$400 used (was $1100 new when last available in the US). Back when I had an RB-1, I
commuted 35 miles from Denver to Boulder on it when I was going to CU (took the bus back in the
dark). Of course, that bike did race-duty on weekends.

Food for thought.

-Mike

[email protected] (Steve) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am an avid mountain biker and bicycle commuter. I have been using my 2002 Giant NRS1
> full-suspension mountain bike for my commuting needs. It has been a long time since I have owned a
> road bike, so the technology and componentry knowledge has fallen at the wayside. A recent move
> farther from work has forced my hand (or butt) to look at a road bike for this task. My price
> range is about $650 to start, with upgrades maybe later. The choices at the local shop (which I am
> rather loyal to) are as follows:
>
> 2002 Specialized Allez A1 24 - $599 (down from $749) 2003 Specialized Allez 24 - $549 2003 Giant
> OCR 3 - $599
>
> I would like to be brand loyal to Giant, as I have been for 11 years, but the guys at the shop
> have been pushing the '02 Specialized. They say it is the best deal based on its markdown.
> However, I have read (and would assume) that the '03 Allez 24 has gotten better since the previous
> year. The '03 Allez seems like the best deal, and form what little I have been able to read about
> these, is potentially the best. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanking
> you all in advance for your advice.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Wes
>
> -Keep the rubber side down-

You know, on second thought, a cyclocross bike may be a good way to go too. Just throw on some
smooth tires.