Road Bike Crossification

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy Birko, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Andy Birko

    Andy Birko Guest

    I've got a C-dale CAD3 roadbike which I'd like to switch to cantilever brakes so that I could use
    'cross tires in the winter....on the cheap.

    I've got a set of X-tires wedged in there right now, but I've had to space the rear wheel down about
    3/32. Firstly the tires still rub a bit and secondly, I don't feel safe about this setup at all.

    Although my fork is steel, I expect that buying a cheap steel fork would be the best bet for getting
    canti's up front.

    For the rear, I'd need to have the current brake bridge moved up some for clearance and brake bosses
    welded on.

    The questions are:

    Has anyone heard of this being done before?

    Anyone know of someone in the Southeast Michigan area that might be able to handle something
    like this?

    TIA

    -Andy B.

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:02:25 -0500, Andy Birko wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a C-dale CAD3 roadbike which I'd like to switch to cantilever brakes so that I could
    > > use 'cross tires in the winter....on the cheap.
    >
    > But what you are talking about is not all that cheap.
    > >
    > > I've got a set of X-tires wedged in there right now, but I've had to
    space
    > > the rear wheel down about 3/32. Firstly the tires still rub a bit and secondly, I don't feel
    > > safe about this setup at all.
    >
    > That would be right. Not that it's likely to cause a crash or something, but it will probably slip
    > down unless you have some material in the dropouts holding the wheel where it is.
    >

    > > Although my fork is steel, I expect that buying a cheap steel fork would be the best bet for
    > > getting canti's up front.
    > >
    > > For the rear, I'd need to have the current brake bridge moved up some for clearance and brake
    > > bosses welded on.
    >
    > Cost would be probably $75-$100 for the work, if done by a competent welder, plus a paint job,
    > which would be another $100 minimum for a good job, say a powder coat. Plus the fork. Plus the
    > new brakes.
    >
    > > Has anyone heard of this being done before?
    >
    > Yeah, it has been done. But for the $250-$350 you'd spend on the welding, fork, and paint, you can
    > probably find a good cross frame at a swap meet and have money left over. Use your current wheels
    > if you want, but other than that, for about the same price you can have a second bike.

    I'm with David with one extra piece of info. You CAN run about 28c tires on your C-dale. Not very
    big, but hey, cheap's good, right? If you want clinchers, try some Specializd Tri-cross tires.
    There's bound to be others, but they escape me at the moment.

    To continue David's advice, switch out the fork for cantis, then just run a road brake designed for
    bigger tires in the back. No need to screw with C-dale's heat treatment, etc. You won't have quite
    the mud clearance of the cantis, but then you don't have the mud clearance frame-wise either.

    The last thing you need are smaller rings up front. 38t/48t max for the rings if you're planning on
    riding off-road. (you may also need a non-compact front derailleur with the smaller rings. I've had
    good luck with older XTRs.)

    Good luck! Personally, I'd sell the CAAD3 and find a used cross frame, but that's me.

    Mike

  3. Andy Birko <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've got a C-dale CAD3 roadbike which I'd like to switch to cantilever brakes so that I could use
    > 'cross tires in the winter....on the cheap.

    > I've got a set of X-tires wedged in there right now, but I've had to space the rear wheel
    > down about 3/32. Firstly the tires still rub a bit and secondly, I don't feel safe about this
    > setup at all.

    > Although my fork is steel, I expect that buying a cheap steel fork would be the best bet for
    > getting canti's up front.

    > For the rear, I'd need to have the current brake bridge moved up some for clearance and brake
    > bosses welded on.

    > The questions are:

    > Has anyone heard of this being done before?

    Do you want to race cross, or just use some bigger and/or knobbier tires? Either way, you can
    probably change the fork safely - a hybrid fork will likely be a little taller with more rake and
    slacken the head angle a bit, which is all fine. The rear is a different story.

    As I understand it, people used to do this kind of conversion more often, but then cyclocross frames
    used to be rare, non-production items, and the frames they were converting were steel, easily
    chopped and brazed without requiring post heat treatment or other fancy stuff. That makes modifying
    a C-dale a problem. Also older road frames often had more clearance to start with. Even if you could
    move up the brake bridge, the clearance at the chainstays won't be that great (bigger problem for
    actual cross racing and packing up with mud than for just riding in winter).

    If you switch the rear brake to a single pivot it may give a mm or two more clearance back there.

  4. "Andy Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've got a C-dale CAD3 roadbike which I'd like to switch to cantilever brakes so that I could use
    > 'cross tires in the winter....on the cheap.
    >
    > I've got a set of X-tires wedged in there right now, but I've had to space the rear wheel
    > down about 3/32. Firstly the tires still rub a bit and secondly, I don't feel safe about this
    > setup at all.
    >
    > Although my fork is steel, I expect that buying a cheap steel fork would be the best bet for
    > getting canti's up front.
    >
    > For the rear, I'd need to have the current brake bridge moved up some for clearance and brake
    > bosses welded on.
    >
    > The questions are:
    >
    > Has anyone heard of this being done before?
    >
    > Anyone know of someone in the Southeast Michigan area that might be able to handle something
    > like this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -Andy B.

    Just a comment, since you wanted to do it on the cheap. There were many high quality steel bikes
    made in the 80s that have plenty of clearance for cross tires. Most were not made with cantis but
    many were. These bikes are available in thrift stores for $50 or so, often in excellent condition. I
    currently have two such bikes. One I got for free and one I paid $40 for. My friend even has an
    aluminum one from the same era. All three have cantilever brakes and make great cross bikes.

    Look around, you may find what you want real cheap.

    Good luck. Tom