Road bike, cyclocross...suggestion?

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
Hi first post here, I'm in Perth, Australia. Thinking to upgrade my bike.
My current bike is 10 years old, MTB style and weighs 16.5 kg. All my life I never tried a real good design bikes, so I have no clue how it feels.

Throughout the time, eventhough I don't bike regularly, I do feel things that I want to be improved for my new bike, such as weight, gears, or correct bike size.

Now, I usually ride on pedestrian path, sometimes on road. I don't dare riding on the road the whole time because I still feel insecured with the cars passing next to me. I ride bike mostly for commuting, and once a year doing charity bike ride.

Having researched many websites, I come to the point that road bike or cyclocross would be the good bike for me. Then comes where I have to choose between one of them.

So far I gather that cyclocross is ideal for my needs, however, I also read that cyclocross isn't as light as roadbike. But I have no clue how much the difference is, and if I can get away with it.

Is cyclocross weight much different then the weight of my old bike in average?
With roadbike, will it reduce its durability over time if I ride it on pedestrian paths? I mean the paths are not smooth flat like roadway.

Thanks for any advice, I'll add more if I have anymore questions.

I am in Perth and have not seen any cyclocross bikes in any local shops. The way to go would be to have a road bike and a MTB for the rough stuff. Even my GF does that, a Felt F 100 road bike, and an Apollo Panther MTB with 1.75 tyres and a 11-28 cassette for local rides. :D

Another friend got a Giant OCR3 on special last week for $780. The Giant MTBs are cheap at the moment too.

The specs look good, but, who sells it in Perth and at what price?? :eek: A MTB and a road bike may be a bettter way to go. :cool:

gclark8 said:
The specs look good, but, who sells it in Perth and at what price?? :eek: A MTB and a road bike may be a bettter way to go. :cool:
I've already got old MTB, and I hate the weight. I always love roadbike since kids, but knowing it is a bike to be ridden on road, that puts me off as I don't do group cyclings (would like to try though) and I don't always ride on road (too scared ^-^).

I just happened to find one after thinking of giving up. It was on Canning Hwy.
Ace Cyclery is the shop's name. The COnquest is $1800, Pro is $2890, but the seller said can give better price.

I'm going to ask if anyone in Perth knows other LBS that can have cyclocross