Road bike decisions

Slicker

Apr 13, 2011
Hi there

I've researched some road bikes and visited many bike shops around Brighton as I am looking for a fast commuter road bike. I've had mixed (possibly biased) views about brands, models and sizes, so I need some impartial advice.

Here’s my details;

• 5”11 male – 13 stone
  • Journey to work = 20 miles round trip – 4 days a week. Route is a fairly straight and flat journey.

I love the look of the paint jobs and prices on Claud Butler bikes especially the San Remo 2011 for £399 and Milano 2010 for £409, but I appreciate the look is not what it is all about. Several shops were negative about the overall products from Claud Butler. I had a quick test of the San Remo 2011 53cm model, it felt quite nice and handled well, the brakes were mediocre, but the handle tape felt and looked cheap. Is this a quality sign for the rest of the bike?

One shop was adamant that Giant is the best overall brand for my needs and had other more expensive brandsmodels on sale, but recommended the Giant Defy 1 - 2011 for £900. I had a quick test ride of 56cm model. It was very quick, brakes were good, but it didn’t feel extremely light and the steering didn’t feel very planted around fast corners?! There was a nice Giant carbon model for £1100 (I love carbon coming from a motorcycle background). However, the guy recommended the Giant Defy 1 - 2011 model over it.

I will be getting the bike under the cycle to work scheme to save some cash. You can get any bike up to £1K.

For the long term durability of a bike, is it worth spending more for the Giant or will the Claud Butler meet my needs?

Also, what size do you people think, 53 or 56? The 53cm Claud felt okay?
Cheers

Slicker

Well, I'm about your size (6', 180 lbs), and I have a 57cm frame. I think you'll find you want the larger frame so that your upper body isn't as cramped. Also, for what you're riding, you may want something fairly durable (steel, titanium--but Ti may go over your budget). You'll probably also want to get something with a slightly larger tire, at least a 700C x 25, which will make the ride more comfortable--you're not looking to get to work all spent from a torturous ride. If you're going to be in traffic, you'll probably also want something that puts you in a more upright position, too.

Just some thoughts--worth what you paid for them!

Jason