Road bike for a 6'4", 240lb guy

MatthewToronto

Jul 11, 2011
Hi guys, I'm 6'4", 240lb. I've been riding a hybrid since the spring 2010 - Rocky Mountain RC 10, with Alivio components. I've put well over 1200 miles on it, including a few metric centuries and I like the bike a lot but... I started riding with a local cycling club and I've noticed that I sometimes have a hard time keeping up, especially on the flat sections. I've decided to get a road bike and that's when, as for many others, my head started spinning. Budget wise I'm looking at $1,000, maybe $1,500 if I can find a good fit at a good price. My main questions is about the components - do I need higher grade components, because I'm bigger and will put more tension/torque on the bike? So far I've ridden on a fairly low grade Alivio and I haven't had one complaint. Do you think Sora or Tiagra will be ok, or should I aim higher? I am aware of the importance of the frame and the proper fit, but many frames come equipped with various components, so I would like to narrow that down first. So far it seems that I'm in a range of: - trek 2.1, or maybe ECM 3.1 (CF) - cannondale caad 8 or 9 - giant defy 3 or 2 - specialized allez elite Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance

The Schwinn Le Tour Legacy looked pretty decent. It is spec'd with Reynolds 520, Shimano 105, double or triple chain wheels, Maxic CX-22 rims, 700x 25 Continental tires. It would hopefully hold up for somebody over 200lbs better than some bikes of lesser material than Reynolds steel tubing. I was looking into them this past Spring. A few places had fantastic clearance sales on the 2010 models...about $700, which is incredible for a bike with 105. Anyway, you could "google" it for more info if it sounds of interest. Bikes Direct also had them for $700 to your door, but might have sold out. Worth a search.

So, it eventually came down to Trek 1.5 (Tiagra) or Cannondale synapse 6 (alloy) also with Tiagra.
When I went to test ride the Cannondale, the guy at the LBS told me I could only ride it in their parking lot. Wherever I've gone so far, I was able to leave my credit card and driver's license and go for a 20-30 min ride. I've asked the guy if he was sure there was no way around it, because otherwise, I wouldn't be comfortable buying the bike and he said he'd pass on my business.

So, I'm a happy owner of a Trek 1.5

Thanks for the replies and private message I got.

Safe riding
Matthew