Road bike for a 6'4", 240lb guy

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by MatthewToronto, Jul 11, 2011.

1. MatthewToronto

MatthewToronto New Member

Hi guys, I'm 6'4", 240lb. I've been riding a hybrid since the spring 2010 - Rocky Mountain RC 10, with Alivio components. I've put well over 1200 miles on it, including a few metric centuries and I like the bike a lot but... I started riding with a local cycling club and I've noticed that I sometimes have a hard time keeping up, especially on the flat sections. I've decided to get a road bike and that's when, as for many others, my head started spinning. Budget wise I'm looking at $1,000, maybe $1,500 if I can find a good fit at a good price. My main questions is about the components - do I need higher grade components, because I'm bigger and will put more tension/torque on the bike? So far I've ridden on a fairly low grade Alivio and I haven't had one complaint. Do you think Sora or Tiagra will be ok, or should I aim higher? I am aware of the importance of the frame and the proper fit, but many frames come equipped with various components, so I would like to narrow that down first. So far it seems that I'm in a range of: - trek 2.1, or maybe ECM 3.1 (CF) - cannondale caad 8 or 9 - giant defy 3 or 2 - specialized allez elite Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance

Tags:

2. cycleheimer

cycleheimer New Member

The Schwinn Le Tour Legacy looked pretty decent. It is spec'd with Reynolds 520, Shimano 105, double or triple chain wheels, Maxic CX-22 rims, 700x 25 Continental tires. It would hopefully hold up for somebody over 200lbs better than some bikes of lesser material than Reynolds steel tubing. I was looking into them this past Spring. A few places had fantastic clearance sales on the 2010 models...about $700, which is incredible for a bike with 105. Anyway, you could "google" it for more info if it sounds of interest. Bikes Direct also had them for $700 to your door, but might have sold out. Worth a search.

3. cycleheimer

cycleheimer New Member

4. MatthewToronto

MatthewToronto New Member

So, it eventually came down to Trek 1.5 (Tiagra) or Cannondale synapse 6 (alloy) also with Tiagra.
    When I went to test ride the Cannondale, the guy at the LBS told me I could only ride it in their parking lot. Wherever I've gone so far, I was able to leave my credit card and driver's license and go for a 20-30 min ride. I've asked the guy if he was sure there was no way around it, because otherwise, I wouldn't be comfortable buying the bike and he said he'd pass on my business.

So, I'm a happy owner of a Trek 1.5

Thanks for the replies and private message I got.

Safe riding
    Matthew