Road bike for a big guy (250 lbs)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dyc, Jun 13, 2003.

1. dyc

dyc New Member

As I did last Summer, I would like to ride 100 or so miles per week this Spring and Summer to lose some of this excess weight. My one and only century in October was memorable for two things: (1) I finished; and (2) I did so on some pretty horrible wheels after more than one spoke blew out along the way. The Trek 320 won't do it any more. Am I wrong in thinking that a touring bike--like a Trek 520--that is built for loaded touring will be a good solution that will allow me to spend more time on the bike and less time waiting for the wheels to be fixed? Thanks.

Tags:

2. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

buy a light MTB and set it up with skinny tyres

3. rek

rek New Member

The main thing to watch out for (which you have found out the hard way) is the strength of the wheels/tyres.

I've heard of a number of people around that weight with normal road bikes (even some with lightweight C'dale and Trek OCLV frames etc.) that have no real problems -- BUT, they put strong wheels on with 36 spoke wheels, wider tyres, etc.

You could also do the MTB/slick tyre thing, but if you're going to ride on paved surfaces you may as well enjoy the efficiency, long-ride comfort and higher gearing of a road bike.

4. big_h

big_h New Member

I weigh 124 Kg and use a Trek 7200 Hybrid. It gives you the speed (almost) of a road bike with a frame similar to a Mtb with the relaxed position. I have done many kilo's on this bike . had my problems in the beginning with breaking spokes but had the original spokes replaced with double butted DT Swiss. No more problems and a beauty to ride. Spending to much time on the Tandem though.

Big H