Road Bike for a Clyde

hollidayslim

Feb 11, 2013
Hello all first post here

I have been riding my Specialized Hardock for a while and really enjoy it, I bought it to ride to lose weight and I have dropped 40lbs in the last 6 months bringing me to 240 lbs (I am 6'2" tall).

I am looking at getting a road bike now and have been looking at the Specialized Allez. I was concerned about my weight and a road bike but after talking to my LBS and reading a bit on the net as long as I get a decent set of wheels with a higher spoke count I should be OK. Is my train of though correct on this?

TIA

hollidayslim said:
Hello all first post here I have been riding my Specialized Hardock for a while and really enjoy it, I bought it to ride to lose weight and I have dropped 40lbs in the last 6 months bringing me to 240 lbs (I am 6'2" tall).  I am looking at getting a road bike now and have been looking at the Specialized Allez. I was concerned about my weight and a road bike but after talking to my LBS and reading a bit on the net as long as I get a decent set of wheels with a higher spoke count I should be OK. Is my train of though correct on this? TIA
Yup. I'd advise you stay from the über light end of the bike spectrum and likewise avoid low spoke count wheels. I think you should look for wheels with at least 28 spokes in front and 32 in back. If the bike dig has low spoke count wheels, you might consider asking the LBS what it would cost to trade those wheels for a custom set (a lot of LBS can do this) built for your weight. You can also sell the OEM wheels on eBay and use the funds to pay for a new set.

+1 if you can invest on 2 sets of wheels, thats a guarantee that you will always have the bike ready to go, when a spoke brakes or the rim becomes untrue you simply take the wheel to the shop and continue riding on the spare set,