Road bike for a tall guy



polkatronixx

New Member
Mar 23, 2006
6
0
0
I am 6'6" tall. My current bike has a 62cm frame, but I think it's too small. I have had a hard time finding many manufacturers online who sell road bikes with larger frame sizes. I think I need at least a 64cm frame. Any suggestions? I want to try and keep the price down below $1000.00 if possible.
 

PartisanRanger

New Member
Dec 1, 2005
297
0
0
35
polkatronixx said:
I am 6'6" tall. My current bike has a 62cm frame, but I think it's too small. I have had a hard time finding many manufacturers online who sell road bikes with larger frame sizes. I think I need at least a 64cm frame. Any suggestions? I want to try and keep the price down below $1000.00 if possible.
Maybe your positioning is wrong? I don't know much about frame sizes, but I'm 6'5" with disproportionately long legs on a 60cm and am doing just fine.
 

Eden

New Member
Feb 28, 2005
1,273
0
0
My husband is 6'3" - long torso'd and rides a 64cm. He has an 03' Fuji Team that he likes and fits him well. Unfortunately they only have 1 frame this year that they make in a 64 - the Roubaix RC which is a bit over your price point at around $2,000 (but that is MSRP so you can expect that bike shop prices will often be about $300 - $400 less). You can also check out previous year's bikes on their web site to see what other models came in 64's - maybe a shop in your area (or online) has a 64 from last year that they can't wait to get rid of.
 

polkatronixx

New Member
Mar 23, 2006
6
0
0
PartisanRanger said:
Maybe your positioning is wrong? I don't know much about frame sizes, but I'm 6'5" with disproportionately long legs on a 60cm and am doing just fine.
I've had to adjust the handlebars up quite a bit. I guess it also comes down to how much higher you want your saddle to be vis-a-vis the bars. Ideally I would like them to be at the same height.
 

polkatronixx

New Member
Mar 23, 2006
6
0
0
Eden said:
My husband is 6'3" - long torso'd and rides a 64cm. He has an 03' Fuji Team that he likes and fits him well. Unfortunately they only have 1 frame this year that they make in a 64 - the Roubaix RC which is a bit over your price point at around $2,000 (but that is MSRP so you can expect that bike shop prices will often be about $300 - $400 less). You can also check out previous year's bikes on their web site to see what other models came in 64's - maybe a shop in your area (or online) has a 64 from last year that they can't wait to get rid of.
Thanks! I will go check that out. It might be my only option. I had gone to the FUJI site, but I though most of theirs stopped at 61.
 

KtecR

New Member
Feb 18, 2004
16
0
0
polkatronixx said:
Thanks! I will go check that out. It might be my only option. I had gone to the FUJI site, but I though most of theirs stopped at 61.
Some guy in my local group rides is something like 6'8" and he rides an Independent. I am guessing it was a little expensive since it was custom. Maybe you could look into those if the price is reasonable
 

hillbasher

New Member
Feb 2, 2005
19
0
1
polkatronixx said:
I am 6'6" tall. My current bike has a 62cm frame, but I think it's too small. I have had a hard time finding many manufacturers online who sell road bikes with larger frame sizes. I think I need at least a 64cm frame. Any suggestions? I want to try and keep the price down below $1000.00 if possible.
I have an older Cannondale that measures 66 from center of BB to top of the seatpost, if you are interested. It could be yours for cheap and maybe you could build it up with what you want. It has 105 on it as of now. Email me if it sounds like something you might be interested in.
 

Eden

New Member
Feb 28, 2005
1,273
0
0
I've been poking around Trek's web site as well and they have a 63cm in many of their frames. Its got a long enough top tube that my husband would consider it to replace his Fuji if he had to.
Cannondale offers some 63's as well.

Happy Hunting
 

polkatronixx

New Member
Mar 23, 2006
6
0
0
hillbasher said:
I have an older Cannondale that measures 66 from center of BB to top of the seatpost, if you are interested. It could be yours for cheap and maybe you could build it up with what you want. It has 105 on it as of now. Email me if it sounds like something you might be interested in.
Wow! Sounds like it might be something to look into. I just bid on a 67cm Panasonic on eBay.... we'll see how that goes. If I don't get it, I may be in touch!
 

PartisanRanger

New Member
Dec 1, 2005
297
0
0
35
This is sort of unrelated but I thought I would mention it. Even though I'm tall I never really messed with the seat height on my bike and I had it lowered when I first got my road bike because the "racing" position didn't feel right. Yesterday I was riding with one of the local former cat 2's and he helped adjust my seat to a better position, I'm amazed at the difference! I'm avging a good 2-3 mph more than before on flats and am going up hills with ease, it's great. I had no idea how much I was handicapping myself with the short seat height...
 

lwedge

New Member
Mar 3, 2004
1,552
2
0
polkatronixx said:
I am 6'6" tall. My current bike has a 62cm frame, but I think it's too small. I have had a hard time finding many manufacturers online who sell road bikes with larger frame sizes. I think I need at least a 64cm frame. Any suggestions? I want to try and keep the price down below $1000.00 if possible.
This is a great site for the tall cyclist. http://www.zinncycles.com/

Lennard Zinn is 6'9" I believe.
 

lwedge

New Member
Mar 3, 2004
1,552
2
0
polkatronixx said:
I am 6'6" tall. My current bike has a 62cm frame, but I think it's too small. I have had a hard time finding many manufacturers online who sell road bikes with larger frame sizes. I think I need at least a 64cm frame. Any suggestions? I want to try and keep the price down below $1000.00 if possible.
Check this bike out Polka. http://westucyclesinc.com/page.cfm?PageID=55
 

polkatronixx

New Member
Mar 23, 2006
6
0
0
PartisanRanger said:
This is sort of unrelated but I thought I would mention it. Even though I'm tall I never really messed with the seat height on my bike and I had it lowered when I first got my road bike because the "racing" position didn't feel right. Yesterday I was riding with one of the local former cat 2's and he helped adjust my seat to a better position, I'm amazed at the difference! I'm avging a good 2-3 mph more than before on flats and am going up hills with ease, it's great. I had no idea how much I was handicapping myself with the short seat height...
Funny... I did the same thing. I ended up raising my seat and noticed a very big difference. So now I deal with the sore neck/shoulders from being a bit hunched over.... but I have an easier time with the rest of it!
 

PartisanRanger

New Member
Dec 1, 2005
297
0
0
35
polkatronixx said:
Funny... I did the same thing. I ended up raising my seat and noticed a very big difference. So now I deal with the sore neck/shoulders from being a bit hunched over.... but I have an easier time with the rest of it!
Well I was accustomed to riding on the drops the whole time during my rides until this guy showed me that that wasn't the best position for comfort, so I'm actually doing okay at the moment.