Road Bike for Overweight Woman

BigbottomMommy

Feb 7, 2011
So I'm getting back into cycling after 10 years of no exercise. I'm nearly 300lbs now. When I was in my early 20's for a few years I was really into cycling. At that time I had a hybrid bike. Which I adored (still have it but haven't sat on it in 8 years). I really want to get a road bike seeing as the hybrid was horrible for headwinds. I'm planning on doing RAGBRAI in 2012. I do not have the money for a nice bike. Heck I'll be lucky if I can scrap together $300. I'm planning on buying a used bike and work on it. I was just looking for some suggestions on bikes that will be able to hold a plus sized person. Keeping in mind I want to lose 100-150 lbs in the next two years. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

I suggest you clean up and lube your hybrib bike and take it out. At 300 lbs you are better off working your weight down before buying a road bike. Once you have met your goals and are commited to continuing to ride reward yourself with that new bike you are dreaming of. You will also be able to save up a little more money while doing so and get yourself a better bike.

Reactions: BigbottomMommy
This will sound like a trite answer but it's not: the best bike is the one you'll ride. It's the same advice I give to people who ask me what the best exercise program for weight loss or fitness or building strength. Running may burn more calories than walking, but if you can't or won't run then walking is the better exercise for you. The body is amazingly adaptable, and absolutely loves REGULAR exercise; you'll probably be shocked at how hard it is the first couple rides, then doubly so by how quickly you gain strength and stamina and lose weight once you get past that initial hump. Given your conditioning level you need to be thinking about comfort above all else, because that will keep you on your bike. Also, you're planning on losing 1/3 to 1/2 of your body weight before the Iowa tour, so anything appropriate now is likely to be completely inappropriate 18 months from now.

That said a true road bike may not be the best for you yet. You say that you're almost 300 lbs and 10 years of no exercise...that strongly suggests that the strength and flexibility in your back won't be up to par for even a comfort-style road bike. Decent mountain bikes can be had for not a lot of money. I have a $70 MTB from Academy that, actually, has served me quite well. Similar bikes can be found on CL for $25 or so. I've taken it on some pretty long rides, usually with a bike trailer and 2 kids in tow, and it rides fine. 18 speeds and index shifters won't be mistaken for quality road components but give me a lot of gear range, including a very low bottom gear for hauling that trailer up hills. The same gearing could serve you well going into headwinds. Start with the seat low and handlebars high, and as you gain flexibility and stamina you can gradually reverse these position to assume a more aerodynamic position. New or used, you won't have a lot of money in it, and can maybe save some cash for a nice new bike for the tour.

Reactions: BigbottomMommy
Thank you so much for your honest responses. I'm not too worried about getting back into cycling shape as I can still remember how amazing it felt when I did ride. It always amazed me how I could hit a wall when I was riding and that all it took was pushing myself another 5-10 miles and I'd break through that wall. I was thinking the same thing that the two of you suggest that I wait till I lose some if not most of the weight. I can probably just spend a few dollars to get my hybrid back into a good working condition and can ride that till I'm lighter and restore upper body and back strength. I really want to get back into the shape I was in 10 years ago. I was still overweight but I was much healthier. I was a vegetarian and biked 4-5 days a week 40-50 miles a day. I really want to get back into that shape again. I don't care if I get to RAGBRAI and I walk my bike up every hill. I just want to be able to ride again.

Glad you plan on committing to make what most would consider a monumental effort. Please keep us posted as to your progress as you get under"weigh"! (Sorry--can't resist a pun!)

Originally Posted by BigbottomMommy .

So I'm getting back into cycling after 10 years of no exercise. I'm nearly 300lbs now. When I was in my early 20's for a few years I was really into cycling. At that time I had a hybrid bike. Which I adored (still have it but haven't sat on it in 8 years). I really want to get a road bike seeing as the hybrid was horrible for headwinds. I'm planning on doing RAGBRAI in 2012. I do not have the money for a nice bike. Heck I'll be lucky if I can scrap together $300. I'm planning on buying a used bike and work on it. I was just looking for some suggestions on bikes that will be able to hold a plus sized person. Keeping in mind I want to lose 100-150 lbs in the next two years. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
You'll probably want to replace the tires and tubes as rubber tends to harden with age and, not wanting to sound like an ass (to which some on here will probably say that's something that I excel at) but you've put on a few pounds since you last rode, so something a little more substancial may be in order. That extra weight doesn't really come too much into play until you hit the edge of a pothole. I think you may agree that the less time you spend fixing 'snakebite' punctures and spend more time on the bike enjoying the ride, the better life will be.

The same age hardening may have occoured on your brake blocks too, especially if the bike wasn't cleaned before it was put away. As I have experienced the foam in saddles age hardens as well - you might want to look into a saddle from companies like Terry (who were the pioneers of women specific saddles) or Specialized. A comfy tush is a must.

Check your gears and brakes before you head out and enjoy the ride. Good luck on your prep for RAGBRAI.

Thanks, I am planning on getting new tires. I'm going to get tires like the ones I currently have which are thicker than road tires but do not have the nubbys on them. I'll definately have to check the saddle and see if it is still in good shape. I do need a new helmet and gloves and obviously shorts as I'm much larger than I used to be. Actually I think I'm going to go with capri style pants. Thanks again for the good wishes and advice :)