Road bike handle bars?? Truth or fiction??

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
I rode a road bike yesterday, two, three miles, new, Walmart,, Denali...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/700C-GMC-Denali-Men-s-Road-Bike/12080282

I think I would like the bike, but the drop bars are a major pain, the brakes and
shifters are so far apart and in the normal riding position you have to move your
hands to get to the brakes.

I think with a regular set of bars this would be a good bike for me.

Your thoughts, , don't trash it just because of "Walmart", I want to
know about the bars. I have a set of straight bars with the brake
handles on them and I think the shifters will change. The problem
is the bike is a return and it is not returnable if I get it. It is under a
$100.

If I changed the bars would roadies stop talking to me? Maybe not
a bad thing?? Would an evil thing jump out of the bushes and get
me?? Maybe not a bad thing??

Would my hair fall out??

The following quote from the link is a puzzle:
Gearing: 21-speed Shimano drive-train with easy twist shifting

Which means I can't figure out quite how that bike is configured. There is a difference in diameter between drop bars and flat bars, which usually means that you can't mix components any old how. Usually a twist shifter won't go past the bend on a drop bar.
Once I've seen an odd split drop bar which would allow the fitting of twist shifters up by the stem, maybe that's what this bike has?

If the flat bar you have has brake levers intended for v-brakes, then the brake response will be off. You'll have to squeeze harder for the same amount of braking force. Some consider this OK, some will insist on that it's a definite no-no.

One thing about buying department store bikes: give it a good tune up before riding. check bearing play, spoke tension etc. IME they can be decent enough for some types of riding, as long as you make sure they're put together correctly.
And don't be too concerned about other riders, your choice isn't hurting them.

Keep in mind that going to a flat bar will put the effective hand position quite a bit back. Might suit you, might trigger an urge for a longer stem.

Yes, the shifters are next to the stem, even with hands on the upper bar they are just out of reach. I think they split in half to go on the
bar. I am going to check the bar size first. I have the stem as well. It is on the Huffy Savannah I ride now. I don't feel too bad about
parting it out as I paid ten dollars for the bike and I think I want the Shimno shifters on my mountain bike as they work much better
than the Falcon shifters it came with. I can put the odd stuff back on the Huffy and get twenty or thirty dollars for it I think.

Thanks for the reply..