Road bike inner tubes

Roger Zoul

Guest
I'm looking into buying some inner tubes (700 x 26C Presta stem) for my road bike online (LBS wants
$7 per tube). I see some at performancebike.com that range in price from $25 for 3 to $10 for 3.

Sadly, this site gives little description of the differences in tubes that are 3 for $25 and those
that are 3 for $10. Is it markeing hype or is there some good reason to pay more?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:04:33 -0400, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking into buying some inner tubes (700 x 26C Presta stem) for my road bike online (LBS
> wants $7 per tube). I see some at performancebike.com that range in price from $25 for 3 to
> $10 for 3.
>
> Sadly, this site gives little description of the differences in tubes that are 3 for $25 and those
> that are 3 for $10. Is it markeing hype or is there some good reason to pay more?

Personally, I buy the cheap ones and use tire liners. The more expensive ones are supposedly more
resistant to punctures and be lighter, but they also tend to not hold air as long. For me, a few
grams weight isn't much difference (my Camelback can weigh many pounds during my ride), and I rarely
get enough flats to justify the expense. I think the last few I bought were around $12 for five, and
I paid about $10 for ONE tube from my LBS. I can't tell the difference in tubes.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

I agree with Bob. I cannot tell any difference between expensive and cheap tubes for the type of
riding I do (paved road). Perhaps a light weight tube might be worth somewhat more to you, but in
the grand scheme of things, a few grams saved is really trivial except on extremely lightweight
bike setups.

Perhaps expensive tubes have better valves, but I doubt it.

HTH, Ernie

Bob M wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:04:33 -0400, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking into buying some inner tubes (700 x 26C Presta stem) for my road bike online (LBS
> > wants $7 per tube). I see some at performancebike.com that range in price from $25 for 3 to $10
> > for 3.
> >
> > Sadly, this site gives little description of the differences in tubes that are 3 for $25 and
> > those that are 3 for $10. Is it markeing hype or is there some good reason to pay more?
> >

> Personally, I buy the cheap ones and use tire liners. The more expensive ones are supposedly more
> resistant to punctures and be lighter, but they also tend to not hold air as long. For me, a few
> grams weight isn't much difference (my Camelback can weigh many pounds during my ride), and I
> rarely get enough flats to justify the expense. I think the last few I bought were around $12 for
> five, and I paid about $10 for ONE tube from my LBS. I can't tell the difference in tubes.
>
> --
> Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

Thanks, guys!

E & V Willson wrote:
:: I agree with Bob. I cannot tell any difference between expensive and cheap tubes for the type of
:: riding I do (paved road). Perhaps a light weight tube might be worth somewhat more to you, but in
:: the grand scheme of things, a few grams saved is really trivial except on extremely lightweight
:: bike setups.
::
:: Perhaps expensive tubes have better valves, but I doubt it.
::
:: HTH, Ernie
::
:: Bob M wrote:
::
::: On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:04:33 -0400, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
:::
:::: I'm looking into buying some inner tubes (700 x 26C Presta stem) for my road bike online (LBS
:::: wants $7 per tube). I see some at performancebike.com that range in price from $25 for 3 to $10
:::: for 3.
::::
[...]
::: --
::: Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking into buying some inner tubes (700 x 26C Presta stem) for my road bike online (LBS
> wants $7 per tube). I see some at performancebike.com that range in price from $25 for 3 to
> $10 for 3.

> Sadly, this site gives little description of the differences in tubes that are 3 for $25 and those
> that are 3 for $10. Is it markeing hype or is there some good reason to pay more?

Depends what's important to you. If you're interested in performance, you might want "ultra-light"
tubes. If you're more interested in puncture protection, get "thorn resistant" tubes. I've had good
luck with the Performance thorn-resistant tubes. Be forewarned they're quite heavy, but are
available in 700 x 26.

Art Harris

Harris wrote:
[...]

Given that I'm "quite heavy", I can't imagine that the tubes would be a problem. However, roughly
how much do they weigh, compared to a typical non ultra-light tube?

Thanks.

"Roger Zoul" wrote:
> Given that I'm "quite heavy", I can't imagine that the tubes would be a problem. However, roughly
> how much do they weigh, compared to a typical non ultra-light tube?

Ultra lights are around 70g, normal tubes are around 100g, and the thorn resistant tubes are 275g
according to Performance. They're on sale now at 3 for $12.

Art Harris

On 21 Oct 2003 12:30:31 -0700, [email protected] (Art Harris) wrote:
>"Roger Zoul" wrote:
>> Given that I'm "quite heavy", I can't imagine that the tubes would be a problem. However, roughly
>> how much do they weigh, compared to a typical non ultra-light tube?
>
>Ultra lights are around 70g, normal tubes are around 100g, and the thorn resistant tubes are 275g
>according to Performance. They're on sale now at 3 for $12.

Bontrager Superlight 700x18c-25c tubes say "65g" on the box. The box, BTW, is a pleasant bright
chrome color. The box is small, and the folded tube is tiny -- making it a good spare tube
regardless of weight. I've used one for a few hundred miles and haven't had a problem with it yet --
it holds pressure well and hasn't failed at all. I weigh 210 pounds.

--
Rick Onanian

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking into buying some inner tubes (700 x 26C Presta stem) for my road bike online (LBS
> wants $7 per tube). I see some at performancebike.com that range in price from $25 for 3 to
> $10 for 3.
>
> Sadly, this site gives little description of the differences in tubes that are 3 for $25 and those
> that are 3 for $10. Is it markeing hype or is there some good reason to pay more?

I buy the cheapie standard tubes. I tried the ultralights one time after being taken in by some BS
in a magazine and had to air them up every day. The valve stems also ripped out on both of them
eventually. Racers might need to worry about grams, but it sure doesn't apply to any of my riding.
The thing that works for me is to always carry a spare tube (I patch the flat one when I get home),
carry a good frame mount pump (Zefal HPx is my choice), and watch out for broken glass and other
hazards. YMMV.

smokey

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bontrager Superlight 700x18c-25c tubes say "65g" on the box.

> it holds pressure well and hasn't failed at all.

OK. But there's no way a 65g tube has the puncture resistance of a 275g tube. And when you say it
holds pressure well, do you mean during a ride, or for a week?

Art Harris

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:49:21 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
>Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bontrager Superlight 700x18c-25c tubes say "65g" on the box. it holds pressure well and hasn't
>> failed at all.
>
>OK. But there's no way a 65g tube has the puncture resistance of a 275g

Probably not. I haven't got enough miles on it to say.

>tube. And when you say it holds pressure well, do you mean during a ride, or for a week?

For a week or more. I ride at 125psi; I don't have to pump the aforementioned tube up every week.
Maybe two or three weeks. YMMV. It is definitely better than the tubes that came with the bike,
which were no lighter.

--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:57:49 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:49:21 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Bontrager Superlight 700x18c-25c tubes say "65g" on the box. it holds pressure well and hasn't
>>> failed at all.
>>
>> OK. But there's no way a 65g tube has the puncture resistance of a 275g
>
> Probably not. I haven't got enough miles on it to say.
>
>> tube. And when you say it holds pressure well, do you mean during a ride, or for a week?
>
> For a week or more. I ride at 125psi; I don't have to pump the aforementioned tube up every week.
> Maybe two or three weeks. YMMV. It is definitely better than the tubes that came with the bike,
> which were no lighter.
>
>> Art Harris
> --
> Rick Onanian

That's good, as my main concern (other than cost) with the fancy tubes is whether they can hold air.
Pumping them up before every ride can be a pain.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:48:30 GMT, Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:
>That's good, as my main concern (other than cost) with the fancy tubes is whether they can hold
>air. Pumping them up before every ride can be a pain.

I agree. On my MTB, I got so desperate that I bought insanely thick "thorn-resistant" tubes. They
are so thick that, while they came folded flat, I have since been unable to fold them to any
reasonable size; and if left to their own devices, they will choose to be round as if inflated. They
held the same pressure for half a year without topping off.
--
Rick Onanian