Road Bike Luggage?

samwedge

Apr 11, 2007
Hi all!

I'm a fairly new road biker and like to take a few 'luxury' items with me when I cycle, and was wondering where I could attach them all to my bike. I generally take spare inner tube, bike tool, small mobile phone, etc. that all fit in a bag under the saddle; my bike pump and water bottles both go on the frame. I also have a wind/waterproof jacket that can fold inside out into a bag which is able to be clipped to the frame between my legs.

The problem is, I don't like anything being between my legs. It removes the freedom I feel when cycling (if that makes sense). Also, the saddle bag rattles, which is something I hate – I want my bike to feel solid and sturdy!

Anyway, I was just wondering what other roadies do when they’re out and about on long journeys to carry food and inner tubes etc...

Thanks,

Sam

samwedge said:
Hi all!

I'm a fairly new road biker and like to take a few 'luxury' items with me when I cycle, and was wondering where I could attach them all to my bike. I generally take spare inner tube, bike tool, small mobile phone, etc. that all fit in a bag under the saddle; my bike pump and water bottles both go on the frame. I also have a wind/waterproof jacket that can fold inside out into a bag which is able to be clipped to the frame between my legs.

The problem is, I don't like anything being between my legs. It removes the freedom I feel when cycling (if that makes sense). Also, the saddle bag rattles, which is something I hate – I want my bike to feel solid and sturdy!

Anyway, I was just wondering what other roadies do when they’re out and about on long journeys to carry food and inner tubes etc...

Thanks,

Sam
One popular option for long rides is a backpack/Camelbak combination. This allows for storage and more fluids.

There are all kinds of small>very large saddle bags to consider. Or, you could install a front or rear rack and find a rack mount bag for it.

If you're really touring, then full racks and panniers are the way to go.

Enjoy your trip!

Edit:

You should see the "Touring and recreational cycling" section of this forum. Those guys live for rack/bag talk ;-)

fish156 said:
One popular option for long rides is a backpack/Camelbak combination. This allows for storage and more fluids.

There are all kinds of small>very large saddle bags to consider. Or, you could install a front or rear rack and find a rack mount bag for it.

If you're really touring, then full racks and panniers are the way to go.

Enjoy your trip!

Edit:

You should see the "Touring and recreational cycling" section of this forum. Those guys live for rack/bag talk ;-)
Thanks for your reply. I'm really into road biking and am generally out to train myself to a level where I have good speed and endurance, so I don't want to laden racks and panniers to my bike - I want to keep it as light as possible! The backpack idea sounds good though, provided it doesn't impede movement. I have seen some smallish backpacks that look like camelbak bags without the water reservoir. These seem suitable, provided they don't produce sweaty back syndrome!. I have 2 drinking bottles on my frame already that are fine, I'm just looking mainly for space to put clunky things like my jacket, allen keys and an inner tube.

I realise I'm being quite picky!!

Basically, what do other road bikers deem necessary to take with them, and how do they carry it all?

Cycling shirts with rear pockets. I bought a couple of cheap shirts which have 3 low pockets across the back. On a recent ride over rough roads [Yarramalong Valley:)] my seat tubes' bottle cage broke & I then rode with a full bidon in one of the pockets.
Previous to this if I went for a long ride I carried spare foldup, tools & food in a small backpack. A sweaty back particularly in hot weather when fluids are paramount is more of a problem with a backpack.

samwedge said:
Also, the saddle bag rattles, which is something I hate
My under seat bag has a velcro strap around the middle which keep it firmly tied to the underside of the seat to prevent rattling.
I 'listen' to my bike as I ride, trying to detect any pending problems, so you don't want any noises masking potential problems.

Albert 50 said:
Cycling shirts with rear pockets. I bought a couple of cheap shirts which have 3 low pockets across the back. On a recent ride over rough roads [Yarramalong Valley:)] my seat tubes' bottle cage broke & I then rode with a full bidon in one of the pockets.
Previous to this if I went for a long ride I carried spare foldup, tools & food in a small backpack. A sweaty back particularly in hot weather when fluids are paramount is more of a problem with a backpack.
I'm with Albert 50 - cycling shirt with pocckets is a must. The backpack gets really sweaty. Another bag option that doesn't get in the way is the little "bento" bag. It fits just behind the headset onto the top tube. Doesn't intrude and holds a cell phone and snack quite nicely.

If you do a search you will come up with oodles of posts on what to carry on a ride.

I carry, in a micro-seat bag (it is really tiny) one spare tube, two tire levers and a multitool. It fits very neatly under the seat (velcro strap around the seat rails), does not bounce, make noise, and is invisible to me while riding.

In a plastic ziplock bag in one of my jersey pockets I carry my mobile phone (it is small and light!), an emergency card ('my name is... call this number in case of emergency... my blood type is...etc") and five Euro. In another pocket I carry a patch kit (the smallest box available.

Works like a charm.

If going on longer rides I sometimes also carry a second spare tube and some food. Or more money for a nice lunch. :D