Road bike mirrors: Worthwhile?

In article <[email protected]>, Scott Leckey <[email protected]> writes
>I recently passed a roadie whose drop handlebars were adorned with a rear-view (obviously....)
>mirror. What do people think about the utility of such mirrors? Would a helmet-mounted mirror be
>more useful? If mirrors are appropriate, which make & model?
>
>All opinions gratefully received.
>
>I ride a Trek 1400 road bike, mainly on rural day tours.
>
>Scott Leckey

I have a tourer with drops, I use a Cateye mirror mounted on the bar- end. I wouldn't be without it.
As someone else said in this thread, as one gets older it's harder to look round, I don't have the
rotation in my neck I once had. It's obviously important to get a look over the shoulder b4 making
manoeuvres, but the mirror helps a lot to get an idea of what's there. It's also reassuring to be
able to see where the noise behind is coming from.
--
Peter Grange

NC <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> I use a myrricycle for drop bars (from SJS who appears to have cornered
the
> market in them). Vibration isn't too bad (and depends on road surface).
The
> view is fine on either the tops or drops. Adjustment on-the-go is easy. It will only fit some
> types of drop bars; those with a traditional
brake-cable
> which flaps in the breeze after leaving the top of the brake-hood. There
may
> be "bodges" to make it fit the more modern types of brake lever.

AIUI, you can decapitate the "horn" of a standard aero lever, and drill & tab a hole in it to bolt
the mirrycle into. It may be enough to cut off the tip of the hood on some levers.

STI is definitely no go, not sure about ergo

Andrew

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Robert Taylor wrote:
>> Alas I don't think that the eyeglasses mount mirror is sold in the UK.
>
> You can get a glasses mounting 3rd Eye mirror from Kinetics:
> http://kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.html
>
> I keep meaning to order one. One day perhaps I'll get round to it.

I've probably still got mine and you are welcome to it. The glasses mounting one was good for
looking at myself or across the road but I couldn't actually see past my head to what I wanted to
see. It also got knocked out of alignment everytime I took my glasses on or off. The helmet mounted
one was better but very soon got damaged when the helmet was off. Can't throw your helmet in the
back of the car or on the table. You have to carefully place it upside down so the mirror doesn't
get knocked off. YMMV

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

Whatever happened to the tiny little mirror you used to be able to get some years back? The idea was
to stick it to the inside of you sunglasses. I'd imagine it was very difficult to get at the right
angle though. It was about 5mm across, but so close to your eye you'd get a pretty good view if you
didn't have big ears :)

Have fun!

Graeme

I wrote:
> > You can get a glasses mounting 3rd Eye mirror from Kinetics:
> > http://kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.html
> >
> > I keep meaning to order one. One day perhaps I'll get round to it.

Tony Raven responded:
> I've probably still got mine and you are welcome to it.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'll e-mail my address. Can I give you anything for it?

Thomas Paine

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I wrote:
>>> You can get a glasses mounting 3rd Eye mirror from Kinetics:
>>> http://kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.html
>>>
>>> I keep meaning to order one. One day perhaps I'll get round to it.
>
> Tony Raven responded:
>> I've probably still got mine and you are welcome to it.
>
> Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'll e-mail my address. Can I give you anything for it?

Let me check I've still got it first but bung whatever you think appropriate to a local charity
will do fine.

Tony