Road bike more tiring than hybrid?

Well, seems it was mainly a matter of getting used to the new shoes, pedals, riding position etc, because I just took my road bike out for a medium-paced (I'm guessing around 22 mph when cruising, but that's a really rough guess) 30 mile ride, and it felt MUCH better than before, and I can climb fairly well on it now too, and am more confident out of the saddle.

Racers do take a little getting used to. I fitted wider tyres on my own than I originally had on the bike and I keep them at fairly high pressure. I stand up on all my climbs since I find this gives me more speed.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Well, seems it was mainly a matter of getting used to the new shoes, pedals, riding position etc, because I just took my road bike out for a medium-paced (I'm guessing around 22 mph when cruising, but that's a really rough guess) 30 mile ride, and it felt MUCH better than before, and I can climb fairly well on it now too, and am more confident out of the saddle.

99.9% of my riding are on top of the bars or the hoods. I only get in the drops with a big headwind. Stay out of the drops for a nicer ride.

I thought I was the only guy around who doesn't ride in the drop-down all the time. I guess it seems like a good idea to fit upper brakes, though.

Originally posted by shokhead1
99.9% of my riding are on top of the bars or the hoods. I only get in the drops with a big headwind. Stay out of the drops for a nicer ride.

Originally posted by Carrera
The problem I have with my own roadbike is that I find it uncomfortable to be leant forward for long periods. In fact, I've taken to occasionally slipping out of the leaning position on the flat by resting my hands on top of the bars (which makes breaking tricky). When I come to gradients, I then slip back into the drop position.
I also have a very pointed seat which is like sitting on a nail.
The major problem I have withj my racer, though, is the very thing that allowed me to get it so cheap. Racers are very out of fashion in my area due to the poor condition of roads. It's taken me a certain degree of patience and skill to avoid buckling my wheels (which I nearly did once when I went straight down a grid). There are numerous holes in the roads over here and the only way to avoid them is to ride in broad daylight and keep your eyes firmly on the road in front and hands ready on the brakes. A novice rider would simply wreck his racer in this area and this explains why most people choose mountain bikes to get around locally.
I wonder how many of you folks have hit ruts before or even come off by hitting stones e.t.c. So far, I've been lucky and it's a good thing my wheels are as tough as they are.

To me, the nicest thing about drop handlebars is that you're not stuck in the same position all the time...which I find very uncomfortable on a straight bar bike...

I had the Brake Pods moved up higher on my road bike so I can ride upright on the Flats, move slightly forward and rotate my hands 90 degrees and rest on the Pods, and also, you can hold the Pods between your Thumb and forefinger and still extend your fingers down far enough to brake without going into the drops...

Try rotating the Bars upwards so the Pods/brakes are closer to you, then go for a ride, if it feels the drops are now too far away, rotate then downwards again and have your brakes moved fruther up so the top of the Pods are parralell to the Road....

Everyone I ride with, myself included, ride on the flats most of the time, especially whilst climbing hills....the Drops are really for downhill and cutting through the wind...and of course, changing position from time to time...

Your Saddle isn't really for "sitting on", it's more of a Perch...

It may pay you to have your Bike set-up for you by a professional Bike Shop...

Hope this helps....:)