Road bike puncture misery

Punctured

Aug 25, 2006
:( I am new to the cycling game and currently bash out about 200km a week communting in London (in all weathers). I ahve a new Giant OCR Road bike, which is great but i do get at least 2 punctures a week. i now need new tyres as the old ones have slits accross the thread from glass. What does anyone recommend? durability more imporatnat that speed as i am fed up with having to walk to work! can i get tyres online?

any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Punctured said:
:( I am new to the cycling game and currently bash out about 200km a week communting in London (in all weathers). I ahve a new Giant OCR Road bike, which is great but i do get at least 2 punctures a week. i now need new tyres as the old ones have slits accross the thread from glass. What does anyone recommend? durability more imporatnat that speed as i am fed up with having to walk to work! can i get tyres online?

any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Hi there, and welcome! You and I are putting in about the same distance commuting, so I know how annoying it is to flat halfway on your 25 km commute. I use Michelin Krylion Carbons, and have not flatted them yet. They are very durable, and widely available. On top of that they have low rolling resisance and are quite light. It really is one of the best training tires one can get.

How much would you expect to pay for a set of these? i am on a rather tight budget... I do anticipate savings on inner tubes though!

I really would not know, as I live in Holland, and do not kow any UK online retailers. Ah wait, they go for 34,95 pounds a pair on Ebay uk.

A word of advice, do not skimp on tires. Expensive tires usually really are worth their money.

Punctured said:

any advice appreciated.
Thanks
I don't have the experience riding in your conditions, but once you find out what you want,try: probikekit.com. Their service has been excellent. Their prices are very good, but that is enhanced because I live in the USA and they don't charge me VAT and they are currently shipping free to the USA.

I have been puncture free while urban commuting over abundant glass debris since switching to kevlar tires: Specialized Armadillos and Continental Gaitor Skins.

chero

chero said:
I have been puncture free while urban commuting over abundant glass debris since switching to kevlar tires: Specialized Armadillos and .

chero
Armadillos give a very harsh ride. Gator skins are good.

Thnaks for all your advice. i'll have alook online then go round the local bike shops in town tomorrow.
:)

Punctured said:

any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Contis are durable but are rather expensive. I suggest Michelin Lithions - cheaper and puncture/slit resistant.

Punctured said:
How much would you expect to pay for a set of these? i am on a rather tight budget... I do anticipate savings on inner tubes though!
I hope you repair your tubes?

chero said:
I have been puncture free while urban commuting over abundant glass debris since switching to kevlar tires: Specialized Armadillos and Continental Gaitor Skins.

chero
Kevlar is the way to go. You could also consider Vittoria Rubino Pro.

Punctured said:

any advice appreciated.
Thanks
I cycle-commute in London, and the only tyres that I have used for over year without any punctures are Schwalbe Marathons. They are heavy which you would probably notice over 20 km, but give a good ride.
I have a Marathon Plus on the rear and a Marathon XR on the front and both are good.