Road bike purchase- need recommendations!

gregk

Aug 20, 2003
I will quite possibly be purchasing a new road bike very soon. I am a collegiate racer, so I'm looking for something light and fast. My price range is ~$1,500 for the frame and fork. At the moment, I have my eye on:

Specialized Roubaix
Orbea Lobular
Merckx Leader
Pinarello Galileo
Giant TCR
Specialized E5

So far I'm leaning towards the Roubaix and the Lobular. I know the Roubaix is seen as stiff yet comfortable. The only complaint I've heard is slow handling, which could be remedied by getting a 43 mm offset Reynolds/LOOK/Alpha Q fork to replace the 49 mm offset Specialized fork. For the Orbea, I really wanted the Euskatel team bike, but it is out of my price range. According to Orbea, the Lobular is basically the same bike, but only slightly heavier, due to more "muscular" tubing.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, even if it's not a bike on the list. My biggest criteria are that it is stiff in the bottom bracket area, reasonably light, and handles well.

gregk said:
I will quite possibly be purchasing a new road bike very soon. I am a collegiate racer, so I'm looking for something light and fast. My price range is ~$1,500 for the frame and fork. At the moment, I have my eye on:

Specialized Roubaix
Orbea Lobular
Merckx Leader
Pinarello Galileo
Giant TCR
Specialized E5

So far I'm leaning towards the Roubaix and the Lobular. I know the Roubaix is seen as stiff yet comfortable. The only complaint I've heard is slow handling, which could be remedied by getting a 43 mm offset Reynolds/LOOK/Alpha Q fork to replace the 49 mm offset Specialized fork. For the Orbea, I really wanted the Euskatel team bike, but it is out of my price range. According to Orbea, the Lobular is basically the same bike, but only slightly heavier, due to more "muscular" tubing.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, even if it's not a bike on the list. My biggest criteria are that it is stiff in the bottom bracket area, reasonably light, and handles well.
What do you think buying a high $$ fork for the specialized will do to the budget?? Get a Caad 4 or 5 from GVHbikes.com and have lots of money left over for beer and an education.

boudreaux said:
What do you think buying a high $$ fork for the specialized will do to the budget?? Get a Caad 4 or 5 from GVHbikes.com and have lots of money left over for beer and an education.

I'm not worried about getting a different fork- I can get a good deal on the Reynolds and sell the Specialized fork. I won't be upset if I lose a few bucks.

I have ridden several Cannondales (one of them for a week long bike trip) and none of them have particularly appealed to me. I always thought it was kind of a myth about how stiff they rode, until I took that week long trip on one. At the end of a 6 1/2 hour day, I simply couldn't take it any more. That was the most rigid bike I've ever ridden. Yes, I want a stiff race bike, but not so stiff I can't ride 100+ miles on it.

gregk said:
I have ridden several Cannondales (one of them for a week long bike trip) and none of them have particularly appealed to me. I always thought it was kind of a myth about how stiff they rode, until I took that week long trip on one. At the end of a 6 1/2 hour day, I simply couldn't take it any more. That was the most rigid bike I've ever ridden. Yes, I want a stiff race bike, but not so stiff I can't ride 100+ miles on it.
A suspension seatpost is an inexpensive option for wusses.

Don't forget to look at ti bikes in this price range. If the tubing is done properly, you can get a stiff bb, but also a smooth ride. I would recommend looking at Litespeed. Both their website and Competitive Cyclist website are very informative about their products. Good luck!

I would get the Orbea Lobular. The frame itself is $1299 and you can get a complete bike like the Liege with Ultegra and American Classic 350 wheelset for $2500. I have the Leige with the Euskaltel Team color Orange/yellow/blue. Its a sweet set up.

If you like the aero/time trial look on a road bike, check out the Kestrel Talon which is in your price range. I haven't rode one, but from what I've read, they are very stiff for a full carbon bike. This is the best looking road bike frame IMO.:D

Greg,

Oddly, those are the two bikes I'm looking at right now. I had (pre-crash) a Scattante Altec (Supergo) with Columbus Aluminum frame, and carbon fork and seat stay.

The Orbea Lobular 50 is most likely the next step up, as it the Roubaix Elite. the Orbea looks a little better to me.

Did you buy one of them?

Thanks.

Tim

I know the LOOK KG461 is a pretty lightweight frame. Pretty much like the KG481SL only 50g heavier. price is 1600 i thinks...