road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - CHOSEN AND BOUGHT

Maurice Wibblington wrote:

>>> a superlight mini pump I can understand, but a CO2 inflator?

>> It takes a lot of work to get up to pressure with a mini pump.

And a lot of them can't really manage high pressure at all.

> I see. But presumably they're costly or have some other drawback
> otherwise no-one would bother with any kind of pump?

Not everyone wants to pay £1 to £2 per replacement CO2 cartridge (or bother
to shop for them), and you're stuck if you run out cartridges unless you
have a pump as well.

The inflators are more expensive than the cheapest pumps, and not so readily
available, so I suppose that puts off some people too.

For me, ironically, recent improvements in pump design has made it
worthwhile to mainly rely on CO2 (for dealing with punctures). Pumps like
Topeak Pocket Rocket, Barbieri CarbOne and Axiom Sprint Air are extremely
light but can get a tyre up to over 100 psi if unfortunate enough to get a
second puncture or have some problem with spare tube or repair. (Note that
a couple of spare CO2 cartridges weighs more than one of these pumps).

A pump also comes in handy for rounding out the inner tube before fitting it
in the tyre. CO2 inflators aren't so good at delivering a very small amount
of gas like that.

Innovations Air Chuck SL is my recommendation for a CO2 inflator.
Wonderfully quick and easy to use. Good for commuters as well as lazy
buggers!

Mike Dysaon's is good for spare cartridges.

~PB

Simon Brooke wrote:

> CO2 inflators are basically one shot - at least, they're pretty much
> one shot per cartridge, and the cartridges are
>
> (a) not light

A cartridge containing 16 grams of gas weighs 60 grams gross -- a small
amount of weight if carrying just one. Another 60 to 100 grams for a backup
pump, plus 20 grams for the actual inflator (chuck type). 140 to 180 grams
total. That's lighter than an average bog standard pump that would not work
as well.

~PB

Simon Brooke wrote:

> CO2 inflators are basically one shot - at least, they're pretty much
> one shot per cartridge, and the cartridges are
>
> (a) not light, and
> (b) not cheap
>
> A single cartridge will get either a road tyre or a mountain bike
> tyre up to working pressure from flat, but not if you don't get it
> right first time, and if you have a slow puncture or a second
> puncture they are useless.

Is there anyone else who finds the whole idea of CO2 inflators somewhat
aesthetically or morally repugnant?

I'll get my coat.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there anyone else who finds the whole idea of CO2 inflators somewhat
> aesthetically or morally repugnant?

Surely, it's using them that's morally repugnant: cyclists are being encouraged
to carry them as part of a covert Cunning Scheme to sequester atmospheric carbon.

Geraint Jones wrote:
> "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Is there anyone else who finds the whole idea of CO2 inflators
>> somewhat aesthetically or morally repugnant?

> Surely, it's using them that's morally repugnant: cyclists are being
> encouraged to carry them as part of a covert Cunning Scheme to
> sequester atmospheric carbon.
>
>> I'll get my coat.

Its just that there a bit upyourownarse "I'm so busy and fast so I don't
have time to carry or use a pump".

And you'll look a right **** after you've cocked it up and still have a flat
tyre and an empty cartridge and have to get mummy/wife to pick you and your
silly toy up in the car.

I seem to be very bitter and twisted tonight.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 23:34:30 +0100, "AndyMorris"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>> CO2 inflators are basically one shot - at least, they're pretty much
>> one shot per cartridge, and the cartridges are
>>
>> (a) not light, and
>> (b) not cheap
>>
>> A single cartridge will get either a road tyre or a mountain bike
>> tyre up to working pressure from flat, but not if you don't get it
>> right first time, and if you have a slow puncture or a second
>> puncture they are useless.
>>

>Is there anyone else who finds the whole idea of CO2 inflators somewhat
>aesthetically or morally repugnant?

Yes.

A good pump is a tool worth having. It's about a simple a machine as
you can have - two moving parts - and the idea has been in existence
for centuries. A decent unit will, with a bit of care every few years
or so, last longer than the owner.

CO2 cartridges are a complete waste of money and thought, in
comparison.

Rob Morley wrote:
>>>Did you mean Zefal HPX? They're about £20 - you can get a track pump
>>>with a gauge for less than that.

>>Perhaps I like toys. My frame pumps are Zefals.

> Do they have gauges?

no.

>>My track pump is a Silca.
>>
>>And it wasn't 20 quid. Sadly.
>>

> Neither was mine - it was free :)
>
> Given the choice, all other factors being equal, which would you use to
> inflate a tyre?

Err. The track pump.

But other factors aren't equal.

I never take the track pump on trips to pubs;
it's large and heavy. It's NOT "frame fittible"

I use the Zefal on the road, and the track
pump at home. But I guess you knew that ;-)

If I had to choose ONE pump, it would be the zefal.

BugBear

Quoting AndyMorris <[email protected]>:
>And you'll look a right **** after you've cocked it up and still have a flat
>tyre and an empty cartridge and have to get mummy/wife to pick you and your
>silly toy up in the car.

That's not necessary. Within ten minutes someone with an HPX will swing
by, mock you gently, and blow up your tyre.
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:eek:konomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores: