Road bike rental in Boston

Cod

Nov 8, 2005
Can anyone recommend a bike shop in boston which rents out high-end road bikes? I'm in town with family for 2 weeks and would like to do a few 1 day spins around the area. I'd be grateful for any suggestions

Cod said:
Can anyone recommend a bike shop in boston which rents out high-end road bikes? I'm in town with family for 2 weeks and would like to do a few 1 day spins around the area. I'd be grateful for any suggestions
I'll answer my own question: I rented A Cannondale road bike for 2 days from a shop called Back Bay Bicycles on Commonmealth Avenue in Boston. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and included a helmet and lock in the rental. I strongly recommend them if you're in Boston and get the urge to hit the road.
I took a spin around the towns south of Boston and through some national park area, and really enjoyed it. Drivers were courteous (compared to ireland anyway) and the road surfaces were great. The lack of a hard shoulder on the roads is a drawback but overall I had a ball. I wouldn't recommend using any of the bike trails on a road bike: they're too crowded with walkers and joggers and too short to build up a head of team!.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for the rental? I'm from Boston, but I moved to Florida and sometimes when I go visit my family I want to ride.

dannydigital said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for the rental? I'm from Boston, but I moved to Florida and sometimes when I go visit my family I want to ride.
It was $80 for two full days, I collected the bike on Wednesday at 5 and returned it on Friday at 5:00. Seems a bit expensive but it was a good bike and I got my cycling fix. I had a great holiday in New ENglan, but it's great to be back home (in Cork Ireland) and able to pedal off anytime I like!!

Cod said:
I'll answer my own question: I rented A Cannondale road bike for 2 days from a shop called Back Bay Bicycles on Commonmealth Avenue in Boston. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and included a helmet and lock in the rental. I strongly recommend them if you're in Boston and get the urge to hit the road.
I took a spin around the towns south of Boston and through some national park area, and really enjoyed it. Drivers were courteous (compared to ireland anyway) and the road surfaces were great. The lack of a hard shoulder on the roads is a drawback but overall I had a ball. I wouldn't recommend using any of the bike trails on a road bike: they're too crowded with walkers and joggers and too short to build up a head of team!.
Sorry that I missed your original message. I saw someone else that
rented a bike from them last year. He was quite happy. I would have
given you ride suggestions. If you're coming back next year, then I will
let you know about the riding on the 'irish coast' of Scituate, Cohasset and
Hingham.

Bill

n1ey said:
Sorry that I missed your original message. I saw someone else that
rented a bike from them last year. He was quite happy. I would have
given you ride suggestions. If you're coming back next year, then I will
let you know about the riding on the 'irish coast' of Scituate, Cohasset and
Hingham.
Bill
Thaks Bill; I went around the roads in the Blue Hills Reservaion, and then headed to Canton and back up through Norwood and Dedham, Milton and Quincy. I enjoyed the Blue Hills part but from Canton it gote a bit boring. I had planned to take a look at Scituate but didn't get a chance and I was a bit unsure of navigating around that area.
I'm certainly planning to go back next year and would appreciate any advice you might have.