Road bike rental in the Bay Area

Tonto

Nov 3, 2003
Hi,
I'll be in the Bay Area for work in January for a few weeks and was hoping I could get some cycling in. Does anyone know where I could rent out a halfway decent road bike (preferrably not a hybrid or flat bar)? I've been recommended Marin County for cycling, but I'd be happy to go anywhere within an hour's drive of San Francisco.

Thanks.

I had a friend visit a few years ago, and he wanted to rent a road bike. I made some calls within the city, and found that only Lombardi Sports rented road bikes. They had Kleins, which rented for about $80 a day. Things may have changed since then. Try calling Lombardi Sports, City Cycles, Roaring Mouse, American Cyclery, and the Bike Nook. Also try Mike's Bikes in Sausalito. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more q's!

Tonto said:
Hi,
I'll be in the Bay Area for work in January for a few weeks and was hoping I could get some cycling in. Does anyone know where I could rent out a halfway decent road bike (preferrably not a hybrid or flat bar)? I've been recommended Marin County for cycling, but I'd be happy to go anywhere within an hour's drive of San Francisco.

Thanks.

The Bay Area is a big place...if you are in the East Bay, Livermore Cyclery rents decent bikes.

Tonto said:
Hi,

Thanks.

Tonto,

Here's a link to one of the place mentioned in an earlier response, Mike's Bikes:
http://mikesbikes.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=154

According to their web site, they have road bike rentals for $30/24 hrs and they rent only from their store in Sausalito. The upside to that option is that you can take a charming ferry ride from San Francisco across the bay to Sausalito and then you're right near the marin headlands, which i think is one of the best, most scenic riding areas around. See gpriatko's link in this thread to a previous post for info on riding in the marin headlands.

If you decide to ride on the peninsula, there are some good recommendations for rides on the site of a shop i like:
http://chainreaction.com/#menu

The king's mountain ride is a good, long steady 4.5 mile climb, if you like that sort of thing. (local record for this is 19 min, AFAIK). The alpine loop is a good combination of climbing and nice long scenic stretches.

If you have any questions about any of these ideas, feel free to ask me!

Phyllis

Wow, thank you all so much for such great responses. There's lots there for me to work with. I'll let you know how I get on!