Road Bike Rentals in Holland

Yl-Bike

Guest
I will be in Holland next week and would like to rent a road bike (or at least a hybrid) for one
day. Any leads where I can do this?

Although MacBike in Amsterdam claims to rent hybrids they have told me they will not rent a hybrid
for only one day.

Thanks for your help.

YL

I remember renting bikes from the train station in Delft -- but you're saying you want more than
just a two-speeder? Miguel is right, you really don't need it....those little bridges over canals
are your main challenge.

"YL-Bike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I will be in Holland next week and would like to rent a road bike (or at least a hybrid) for one
> day. Any leads where I can do this?
>
> Although MacBike in Amsterdam claims to rent hybrids they have told me they will not rent a hybrid
> for only one day.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> YL

YL-Bike <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I will be in Holland next week and would like to rent a road bike (or at least a hybrid) for one
> day. Any leads where I can do this?
>
> Although MacBike in Amsterdam claims to rent hybrids they have told me they will not rent a hybrid
> for only one day.

Most of the bikes in the Netherlands are simple and functional. Having a good bike there is not all
that desirable due to the increased risk of theft. Also, there is a famed absence of hills, so good
gears and brakes are not really that important.

Riding in Holland is bloody boring (and windy) though. Don't expect too much mind-blowing scenery!
---
DFM

Sarah Banick <[email protected]> wrote:
> I remember renting bikes from the train station in Delft

Yup, the most train stations in the Netherlands have bike rental places. Mostly they rent out plain
black 3-speeds, but some of the larger ones have fancier bikes as well.

miguel

>Riding in Holland is bloody boring (and windy) though. Don't expect too much mind-blowing scenery!

Not so. While the land is flat, it is not without interest especially from the perspective of the
bicyclist and the county-wide web of bike paths keeps the cyclist away from most serious auto
traffic. Of course, if mountain landscapes or even rolling hills are your thing, the Netherlands may
prove disappointing. John

Deep Flayed Mares <[email protected]> wrote in article
<[email protected]>...

> Riding in Holland is bloody boring (and windy) though. Don't expect too
much
> mind-blowing scenery!

You shouldn't expect a Matterhorn or a Mount Everest, indeed. However, I think that there are a lot
of scenic places in the Netherlands. Nothing spectacular on world scale, but still scenic... riding
alongside one of the large rivers, or a small canal, or through the dunes, or the low hills near
Nijmegen, or across the Veluwe, etc...

Riding the Oosterscheldedam is pretty spectacular IMHO...

Regards, David

Miguel Cruz <[email protected]> wrote in article <[email protected]>...
> Sarah Banick <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I remember renting bikes from the train station in Delft
>
> Yup, the most train stations in the Netherlands have bike rental places. Mostly they rent out
> plain black 3-speeds, but some of the larger ones
have
> fancier bikes as well.

Hmm, the standard rental bike is a bike without speeds (Sparta Railstar, or something like that).
However, usually you can rent a fancier type of bike, indeed.

Regards, David