Road bike restoration - tyre question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hello

    I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
    new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
    marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
    externally.

    Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25 and
    x28. What dot these nembers mean???

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Pete

    Tags:

  2. "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
    > new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
    > marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
    > externally.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
    > and x28. What dot these nembers mean???

    700c is a European standard for road bikes, roughly on a par with the old British 27" wheel, and is
    now the norm here in the UK too. Some manufacturers still offer tyres in 27" format; Continental
    (www.conti-tyres.co.uk) and Michelin (www.michelin.co.uk) certainly do, and Hutchinson might be
    worth a look too; couldn't find their website but Xpedia (www.xpedia.co.uk) stock a lot of
    Hutchinson tyres. Hope this is of help.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on
    the
    > road agian. It needs new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size
    > get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8 marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes
    > anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide externally.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen
    lots
    > of 700c x20 x23 x25 and x28. What dot these nembers mean???
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Pete

    Pete, Take the wheels down to your LBS. I'm sure they'd enjoy helping you out. The more quality time
    you spend with them, the more help they'll be willing to give you ;-) Dave.

  4. Roger Thorpe

    Roger Thorpe Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
    > new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
    > marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
    > externally.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
    > and x28. What dot these nembers mean???
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Pete

    The number to get right is the ETRTO (European tyre rim and tube organization?) number, this should
    written on the tyre in the format xxx-xx. The first part is the bead diameter in mm and the second
    is the width of the tyre. This is an unambiguous size designation. Look for these numbers on the
    tyres and make sure that the fist part is right. There is some tolerance in the second part
    (width). Roger

    --
    Roger Thorpe

    My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
    > new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
    > marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
    > externally.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
    > and x28.

    No, you won't be able to use any 700 tyre with the orginal rims (slightly too small). You can still
    get a few 27 inchers. Try a good bike shop, or the other dealers mentioned plus:
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

    > What dot these nembers mean???

    This article explains all: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

    By the way, the bike could take 700c wheels if the brake blocks can be moved down by 4mm (or if
    brakes were modified/replaced).

    ~PB

  6. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Pete wrote:

    > Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
    > and x28. What dot these nembers mean???

    I think you can still get a few 27" tyres - a few have already been mentioned and also afaik
    Schwalbe Marathons come in 27" so possibly some other Schwalbe offerings or even the marathons
    themselves, which are a well known touring/road riding tyre. Is 622 the number for 27"? Id have a
    look at Sheldons site :)

    Hope this helps

    -Alex

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling/ http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  7. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road again. It needs
    > new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27x1 and 27x1-1/8
    > marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
    > externally.

    27x1-1/4 are still obtainable and will fit. Although it's a general rule that tyres sized in
    fractions of inches are not interchangeable (eg: 26x1-3/8 tyres won't fit 26x1-1/4 rims), the
    post-war 27 inch series is the one exception [2].

    > Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres.

    Go by the ETRTO size - this is 25-630 for the 27x1 and 32-630 for the 27x1-1/8. The 630 bit is the
    bead seat diameter in millimetres.

    > I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25 and x28.

    700C tyres are slightly smaller - 622mm - so will not fit your rim. [1] Changing the bike to 700C
    rims is usually within the range of the brakes and will give you a much greater choice of tyres.
    But, of course, you sacrifice originality.

    > What dot these nembers mean???

    You don't want to know... that way madness lies. However, if you choose not to heed this warning,
    there's an explanation at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0307.htm

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Pete

    [1] though they will fit the pre-war 27x1-1/4 rim size!

    [2] OK, I lied, there's another: the Moulton-Wobler^WWolber 17" sizes.

    --
    Andrew Pattle

  8. Gwyn Oakley

    Gwyn Oakley Guest

    In message <[email protected]> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
    > new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
    > marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
    > externally.

    27 inch = 630mm tyre bead diameter 700c = 622mm tyre bead

    Ie 700c won't fit 27 inch.

    Arguably the best general purpose 27 inch tyre now available is the Continental Ultragatorskin,
    nominal size 27 x 1 1/4. Other tyres available include: Michelin World tour in 1 1/4 and 1 1/8
    widths Vredestein Europa 27 x 1 1/4, reflective side walls Panaracer Pasela 1, 1 1/8, and 1 1/4
    widths Continental 1000 27 x 1 1/8 and 27 x 1 1/4 TT2000 in 1 1/4 Swalbe Marathon

    and there are probably more..

    --
    Gwyn Oakley

  9. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Many thanks for the comments - lots of options to try here. I think new wheels might be in order. I
    was also wanted to upgrade the rear cassette to
    8/9 speed from the original 5 speed and benefit from the dual acting brake levers on modern road
    bikes now.

    I realise that this means new wheels levers/shifters and front/rear derailliers etc etc.

    I am beginning to regret considering this!!!

    I hope the frame is worth all the effort and money. Do they still make 531 tubing??

    Again, many thanks to the group

    Pete

    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on
    the
    > road agian. It needs new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size
    > get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8 marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes
    > anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide externally.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen
    lots
    > of 700c x20 x23 x25 and x28. What dot these nembers mean???
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Pete

  10. Pete