Road bike restoration - tyre question

Pete

Guest
Hello

I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
externally.

Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25 and
x28. What dot these nembers mean???

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<wlI1a.36$DT1.5007@newsfep2-gui>...
> Hello
>
> I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
> new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
> marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
> externally.
>
> Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
> and x28. What dot these nembers mean???

700c is a European standard for road bikes, roughly on a par with the old British 27" wheel, and is
now the norm here in the UK too. Some manufacturers still offer tyres in 27" format; Continental
(www.conti-tyres.co.uk) and Michelin (www.michelin.co.uk) certainly do, and Hutchinson might be
worth a look too; couldn't find their website but Xpedia (www.xpedia.co.uk) stock a lot of
Hutchinson tyres. Hope this is of help.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:wlI1a.36$DT1.5007@newsfep2-gui...
> Hello
>
> I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on
the
> road agian. It needs new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size
> get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8 marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes
> anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide externally.
>
> Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen
lots
> of 700c x20 x23 x25 and x28. What dot these nembers mean???
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Pete

Pete, Take the wheels down to your LBS. I'm sure they'd enjoy helping you out. The more quality time
you spend with them, the more help they'll be willing to give you ;-) Dave.

Pete wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
> new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
> marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
> externally.
>
> Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
> and x28. What dot these nembers mean???
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Pete

The number to get right is the ETRTO (European tyre rim and tube organization?) number, this should
written on the tyre in the format ***-xx. The first part is the bead diameter in mm and the second
is the width of the tyre. This is an unambiguous size designation. Look for these numbers on the
tyres and make sure that the fist part is right. There is some tolerance in the second part
(width). Roger

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

Pete wrote:
> I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
> new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
> marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
> externally.
>
> Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
> and x28.

No, you won't be able to use any 700 tyre with the orginal rims (slightly too small). You can still
get a few 27 inchers. Try a good bike shop, or the other dealers mentioned plus:
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

> What dot these nembers mean???

This article explains all: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

By the way, the bike could take 700c wheels if the brake blocks can be moved down by 4mm (or if
brakes were modified/replaced).

~PB

Pete wrote:

> Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres. I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25
> and x28. What dot these nembers mean???

I think you can still get a few 27" tyres - a few have already been mentioned and also afaik
Schwalbe Marathons come in 27" so possibly some other Schwalbe offerings or even the marathons
themselves, which are a well known touring/road riding tyre. Is 622 the number for 27"? Id have a
look at Sheldons site :)

Hope this helps

-Alex

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling/ http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

Pete wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road again. It needs
> new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27x1 and 27x1-1/8
> marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
> externally.

27x1-1/4 are still obtainable and will fit. Although it's a general rule that tyres sized in
fractions of inches are not interchangeable (eg: 26x1-3/8 tyres won't fit 26x1-1/4 rims), the
post-war 27 inch series is the one exception [2].

> Can anyone advise me how to measure up for some new tyres.

Go by the ETRTO size - this is 25-630 for the 27x1 and 32-630 for the 27x1-1/8. The 630 bit is the
bead seat diameter in millimetres.

> I have seen lots of 700c x20 x23 x25 and x28.

700C tyres are slightly smaller - 622mm - so will not fit your rim. [1] Changing the bike to 700C
rims is usually within the range of the brakes and will give you a much greater choice of tyres.
But, of course, you sacrifice originality.

> What dot these nembers mean???

You don't want to know... that way madness lies. However, if you choose not to heed this warning,
there's an explanation at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0307.htm

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Pete

[1] though they will fit the pre-war 27x1-1/4 rim size!

[2] OK, I lied, there's another: the Moulton-Wobler^WWolber 17" sizes.

--
Andrew Pattle

In message <wlI1a.36$DT1.5007@newsfep2-gui> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have inherited and old Harry Hall road bike and wish to get it back on the road agian. It needs
> new tyres for a start but I am not sure which size to get. The old ones have 27 x 1 and 27 x 1 1/8
> marked on but I can't find reference to these sizes anywhere. The rims measure about 28 mm wide
> externally.

27 inch = 630mm tyre bead diameter 700c = 622mm tyre bead

Ie 700c won't fit 27 inch.

Arguably the best general purpose 27 inch tyre now available is the Continental Ultragatorskin,
nominal size 27 x 1 1/4. Other tyres available include: Michelin World tour in 1 1/4 and 1 1/8
widths Vredestein Europa 27 x 1 1/4, reflective side walls Panaracer Pasela 1, 1 1/8, and 1 1/4
widths Continental 1000 27 x 1 1/8 and 27 x 1 1/4 TT2000 in 1 1/4 Swalbe Marathon

and there are probably more..

--
Gwyn Oakley

Many thanks for the comments - lots of options to try here. I think new wheels might be in order. I
was also wanted to upgrade the rear cassette to
8/9 speed from the original 5 speed and benefit from the dual acting brake levers on modern road
bikes now.

I realise that this means new wheels levers/shifters and front/rear derailliers etc etc.

I am beginning to regret considering this!!!

I hope the frame is worth all the effort and money. Do they still make 531 tubing??

Again, many thanks to the group