Road bike ?????'s

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by kandiguy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. kandiguy

kandiguy New Member

I am planning on getting a road bike soon and only will have around 500-600 dollars and was wondering what the best bike in this price would be. Im a 14 year old male and ride quite a bit. I like the Giant OCR 3 and it got editors choice so that would be a good one im sure. I also like the Fuji Finest AL. If you have an opinion about these or another good bike in this price range let me know.
    -thanks

Tags:

2. eXtremebiker

eXtremebiker New Member

I'm about your age and I bike an awful lot and I'm looking for a road bike too
    but my advice is to save up some more money and go for a trek 2300 its about $2200 but its a good all around bike

3. cd667

cd667 New Member

Go to a bike shop, and ask them what they have secondhand. For the price of your Giant, you could have something that might be a bit older but could wipe the floor with it.
    Also look at ebay, but make sure you've ridden what you're planning on buying before you're buying, to make sure you don't get a lemon.
    Good luck! ;)

4. closesupport

closesupport Banned

I ATKE IT YOUR NOT IN THE UK! UNFORTUNATE REALLY, SINCE I HAVE A http://www.tiger-cycles.com/road.html WHIRLWIND THAT I HAVE DECIDED IS TIME TO PART COMPANY WITH, I BOUGHT IT TO SEE IF I ENJOYED CYCLING, BUT SINCE THEN I HAVE BUILT MYSELF NEW BIKE, SO THE WHIRLWIND IS NO LONGER REQUIRED. IT HAS DONE UNDER 400MILES THE BRAKES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO DUAL PULL, BUT STILL IT IS UNDER 12MTHS OLD, IT HAS NEVER BEEN RODE IN THE RAIN AND IS INN IMACULATE CONDITION.

5. andyanansu

andyanansu New Member

Hey, I'm in UK and I'm looking for my 1st road bike.
    how much would you sell that for?
    Andy

6. closesupport

closesupport Banned

cost me little over £300 but i replaced the tyres since they where poo, and the single pull breaks for tiagra dual pull, plus it has a speedo, ODO. you make me an offer.

Can provide pics if you want too

7. andyanansu

andyanansu New Member

first of all, I've looked at that site, it seem they only do bike frame 54cm and above, what size have you got? I'm 5'5 165cm, do you think it will be too large for me?
    Andy

8. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i'm 5'8" the seat is almost at its lowest, you'll probably need a frame a little smaller, the frame is 22" or 56cm so you'll probably be stretching to reach the gears even if you could reach the pedals.

9. andyanansu

andyanansu New Member

Nevermind then
    thanks

10. closesupport

closesupport Banned

NO WORRIES, THANKS FOR ASKING:) THERE'S HOPE YET :eek:

11. socalfeltrider

socalfeltrider New Member

Ebay can be great, but we all need to support our local shops, so please start there first. I would Recomend a Felt F90, they are great bikes and for the price I think that the F90 cannot be beat...

12. andyanansu

andyanansu New Member

The main problem with LBS is the lack of choice, my LBS looks more like a bike repair shop than bike sales shop.

13. socalfeltrider

Yeah, there are still some shops that are very small and have no desire to grow or even stock new and diverse product, they have found their niche and are happy with it. Get them to special order for you or find a new dealer in your area...

14. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i find my LBS over price parts, over price bike with less poor group components.

i always choose to shop at edinburgh cycles or wiggle, 2 of the cheapest bike stores i have come across online, well them and a few friends that run ebayshops:)

15. socalfeltrider

Over priced as compared to what, mail order or ebay, or even large chain stores? Remember, they (LBS)have to buy their bikes too, and in order to stay in business for you they need to make their margins on them. It may be cheaper online or through mail order, but where do you take it when you need service? IBD's are finding it harder and harder to stay alive and we all need to support them, even if we pay them a little more, because they are the ones who have it when we need it and will be there to help us out.

16. closesupport

closesupport Banned

overpriced fullstop, plus my local you have to book the bike in 2 or 3 days i advance, sorry! i need that bike the following day, sometimes that day, so i do what i can myself, plus it saves me quite alot of money.

example 8speed bottom bracket and cassette-dura ace £50, your having a laugh rear cassette £50+ sorry i shop at wiggle, costs me £29 thats almost double the price at the LBS.

my opinion is theres support and robbery. the above i think is a little more than robbery £26 more than likely and extra £10 to have a cassette fitted, maybe they should try ordering from where i order mine, if they aren't making that much

17. socalfeltrider

Well, there are a couple of things that I can point out to you that you may need to think about.
    1). If you need to book it days in advance that may indicate that there are plenty of people out there keeping that shop busy and are not put off by the shop prices (maybe it is just you).
    2). If you are a serious enough rider where you cannot go a single day without your bike perhaps you should have two bikes, maybe a road and mountain and do some cross-training. (varity is the spice of life).
    3). Often times (and most of the time) small shops do get their stuff at the same place as chain stores, mail order houses and online warehouses. The difference in price to the consumer is in the quanities in which parts are orders by the retailers. Believe it or not, these places sell to the public shimano and other parts at prices that LBS are buying direct for. In fact, as a shop employee I called shimano to get a warranty part and they actually refered me to a local Supergo telling me that they stock more Shimano than Shimano did. (That is bad!)
    4). A Devaluing of nice components is what you are feeding into and is exactly what is killing Bike Shops. You see a $50 part that you can now buy online for $29, and now that is all that it is worth to you, so you think the LBS is "over-priced" when in reality they have been undercut and because of guys like you will have to go out of business and be consumed by big business greed who will never give you the time of day as a consumer (ever try to get a warranty from a big company direct!?!)
    -just what i think

18. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Maybe others have no choice you mean and they take advantage of these people, since they know no better. you know those people who don't know how to change a tire, repair a puncture,a rear cassette, set up a groupo.

and yes, maybe it is me that shops around and have noticed that the local bike shops prices are scandaless, well in my area, they are not helping peopple ride, more of taking people for a ride. i don't know about yours.

although there is one shop 5miles or so away, that sells components at cost, but isist on fitting them and they add aditional cost for the mechanics time for fitting it, they also won't just sell you a bike, they'll ensure that the bike is suitable for the rider. unlike my LBS that sold me 59" frame, and 110mm headset, bit large for me with drop bars, 200miles later the bottom bracket gained a creak, the brakes used to stick on since they where cheep tekro single pull, a stronglite chainset, a mix match of sora and tiagra components, wheels that the tires didn't sit on the rim properly, so everytime i was wanting to ride it, i would have to fix a drop in the tire, taken back and it was claimned that they where poor tires, after paying out for a new set, it still did the same.

then suggested that maybe i would like to purchase a new pair of wheels! erm under 2mths old purchase a new pair for the bike that had done 20miles or so, yes no wonder they are booked up hey! i envision the shop, removing good cassettes and replacing them with worn and dying ones that would generate that little more buisness.

now £300 pounds for the above, and your wondering why i am put off by my LBS, now i do my own mechanics and i refuse to let anyone other than the little shop 5miles away to do any work for me.

i have 3 bikes, 1 mtb for bad weather, spinning and stomping, 1 road racer for not so dry days, and my Baby for dry and good weather days only.

ohh you mean shops like halfords, where there prices are rediculous for claud butler and other bikes, that have the cheeper groupo components, which they state are sold like that since shimano parts are so hard and in demand , "really i think they mean, the more they spend on group components, the less they make on profits selling the bikes that they sell.

if components prices have been reduced, and a saving can be made by them purchasing from another wholesaler, would it not be in the LBS best intrest to change there supplier, and offer a slight fee for handling then an additional for fitting.

opposed to the purchase of the component, and if the purchaser is prepared to have the LBS fit it, would that not generate more buisness, rather than saying yes well, i can get you this it will cost you twice as much than if you go order it yourself from another source, rather than double the price, and basically ask you to bend over, take it up the arse with no lube, what so ever.

19. socalfeltrider

Well, I think there may be a language issue here, I am not sure (after reading your post through a couple of times) that I fully understand yur point(s).
    What I do get from it is that you simply do not understand how a LBS functions.
    1). They absolutely need to charge you for labor.
    2). They have no control over how a bicycle is equipped from a manufacturer.
    3). They cannot stay in business by selling you parts at their cost.
    4). Their cost for the parts that you will buy from them is what it is, and cannot be changed unless they buy in MASS QUANTITIES.
    5). AND, if you had problems with a cheap bike that you bought, how is that in any way the shop's fault?? YOU BAUGHT A CHEAP BIKE!
    6). I can tell you that nobody in the LBS business is getting rich, and certainly not by taking advantage of customers.
    7). Shop employees get paid very little and do it mostly for the love of cycling and to get "hook-ups" for their own bikes.
    8). Labor prices are extreemly low in the Bicycle Industry--what is it, $5 to change a tube?
    --that is all for now, if you are upset about puting a little money back into our sport, perhaps you should not ride a bike...

20. closesupport

closesupport Banned

£300 POUND WASN'T CHEAP FOR ME AT THE TIME.

AS FOR TUBES £0.98 FOR 16 PATCHES AND ONE TUBE OF LUBE 2 MINUTES TO FIX A PUNCTURE.£0.6P PER PATCH £2.50 FOR REPAIR AND LABOUR, THATS £2.44 OR £73.40P PER HOUR (OR 2 REPAIR KITS) IF ONE WAS TO REPAIR PUNCTURES ALONE OVER AN HOUR.

£39.02 MADE FROM ONE PUCTURE OUTFIT, NOT A BAD INCOME IF YOU ASK ME, PLUS THE ADDITIONAL COSTS THAT ARE ADDED ON COMPONENTS AND OTHER REPAIRS MADE.

BUT TO CHANGE A TUBE, IF ITS £3 FOR THE TUBE, AND ANOTHER £3 FOR THE CHANGE, OHH LOOK AGAIN DOUBLE THE PRICE. SEEMS TO A REGULAR.

SO LETS SEE, LBS HOW THEY CALCULATE THINGS.

ITEM COST X 2 - £10 + THE £10 BACK FOR FITTING. MAKES SENSE TO ME WHY WE NEED TO SUPPORT OUR LOCAL LBS'S LOOKS LIKE THERE DOING FINE TO ME.