road bike seat

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by demetrius, Aug 25, 2009.

1. demetrius

demetrius New Member

About 3 months ago I bought a Fuji Newest 3.0. Had I known that I would love cycling so much; I would have made a better choice. But this what I have. I need a saddle before my riding and sex life is over for ever. I am about 5'6, medium build and 40 years of age. And I ride between 50 and 80 miles a week.

Tags:

2. devil94

devil94 New Member

Terry makes some great saddles <http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles> and I've been very happy with the "Fly" that I purchased several years ago.

3. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

My favorites are the Selle Italia Turbo (long out of production) and the San Marco Concor. I've heard of fanatical loyalty to the San Marco Regal and Rolls models plus the traditional Brooks B-17 and Pro variants. And I hear Selle Italia is working on bringing the Turbo back. Also, the more conservative Specialized BG saddles, the Avatar and Alias variants, have their fans.

If you get one of these saddles you'll want to keep it long after the Fuji is gone.

4. two wheels

two wheels New Member

I have heard good things about the Brooks B17 saddle but every time I look at one My mind says "ouch"!! although I have talked with a few people that have said that they were not for them. I hate to spend the money for one and not like it!!:eek:

5. daniellecd87

daniellecd87 New Member

Try the fizik saddles they are made pretty well and make sure to wear bike shorts.

6. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I think that's a danger with any new seat, or most any other new component, especially a comfort-related one.

7. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I just double-checked, and a retailer named Wallingford Bike Parts offers an unconditional guarantee on Brooks saddles. I have a B17 and will never ride anything else.

8. CSpeedster

CSpeedster New Member

Maybe your local dealer will have a Specialized bg saddle fitter thing that they can help you find the perfect saddle with. I think it mostly checks the width of your sit bones but may it has more to it... a seats one of the main parts of adding comfort to your ride :p I hope to get a SMP road bike seat one day, they start at like $300. but anyway, yeah maybe go get fit tested for a seat. to much padding can be no good because that padding will press up against your arteries by your sit bones.

I think a brooks saddle would be good with "good" bike shorts. Higher end bike shorts make a big difference. Do you use bicycle shorts with a chamois/padding?

9. longfemur

longfemur New Member

Your riding position is probably wrong, and if so, no new saddle will solve your problem. For riding many miles, there's no substitute for proper weight distribution between your crotch and your hands.

The position of the saddle also has a role to play. It must not be too high or too low, nor too far back or too far forward. You must not be straddling it with your crotch. You should be planted on it with your sit bones on the wide back part of the saddle most of the time.

You also need to get in the habit of standing at every opportunity, such as when accelerating from a stop, climbing a crest in the road, etc. When you stop at a light or something when you know you are going to have to wait. don't stay on the saddle with one foot on the curb. Get off the saddle. The problem with saddles is the same as the problem with numbness from clipless pedals: too much constrant pressure without any relief.

Cyclists today have forgotten what any serious cyclist used to know, and it seems that every new generation of cyclists has to learn everything all over again the hard way. When your setup is right, and your riding technique is right, and you aren't using some kind of weird saddle, you can ride with reasonable comfort on any saddle so long as you don't have all of your weight on it in the wrong place.

10. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I can't afford to spend $100 on a pair of bike shorts (or even 50). I can do 35-40 miles without any difficulty on my B17 without bike shorts.

11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Getting the right saddle is probably the most difficult item to get right. Everyone is different so you can either buy saddles until you find the right one or possibly find a shop with a variety that might have a trail program for saddle testing.
    I agree that Terry makes a good long distance riding saddle.
    The Falcon being the best they have at this time, imo.
    Fizik, Selle Italia, Specialized all make popular saddles also.

12. oldbobcat

Nah, the saddle that comes on the Fuji Newest really is pretty crappy. But Femur's advice for getting your position checked is spot-on.

13. demetrius

demetrius New Member

Thanks for all the good advice on the good saddles; I really appreciate the info on my seat position. I do believe that my seat is to far back and I need better shorts too. Your right; I 'm new to cycling and there is a lot more to learn before I spend hard earn money. Had I known cycling would be this technical and expensive I might have taken up golf. Na! golf doesn't make my legs look like this.

14. longfemur

longfemur New Member

Good luck.

If you must buy a new saddle, I suggest getting a road bike saddle that is relatively flat from nose to rear, and also fairly flat from side to side at the rear. For serious miles, the padding should be firm rather than squishy, and most of the cushioning as you ride should come from flexibility of the plastic shell itself (or the leather in a suspended leather saddle like Brooks).

Also look for the width of the saddle to be 150 mm more or less, with a smooth transition from the rear to the nose.

The idea of all this is that you get to ride comfortably on different areas of the saddle, rather than always on the same spot. You can hang back when riding with your hands on the hoods, or closer to the nose if you're in the drops.

As I've posted before, level the saddle in a way that you don't tend to slide forward. That might be with the nose up a bit with many saddles.

I would love it if Selle Italia brought back the Turbo and Turbomatic, like Selle San Marco does with the Rolls and Regal. The Brooks are nice, and comfortable with the right setup, but, they are pretty heavy and too traditional-looking to put on a modern racing bike. Perfect for a more classic road bike though.

15. bicyclerubber

bicyclerubber New Member

Get some advice on fit to your bike, especially the pedals / bars / saddle in relation to each other.

That will help

Then look at as wide a range of saddles as possible, there is - no matter what anyone tells you - no single saddle that is perfect for everyone.

Include the SMP4Bike range in your consideration, they work well for me.

16. two wheels

two wheels New Member

Longfemur, You mentioned the Selle Italia Turbo saddle...I came across a website that shows re-issue Turbo's, I have to say that this saddle looks comfy! Is this particular saddle popular among cyclist now? Most bikes I see have the newer design.

17. two wheels

two wheels New Member

I have to concur, I have started to look into the Brooks B17 and the craftsmanship is stellar!! I like the looks of the Brooks swallow! is it as good as the B17?

18. two wheels

two wheels New Member

19. oldbobcat

It's not popular now mainly because it hasn't been updated or produced in 20 years. Through the '80s it was probably the most popular saddle on the road. I still have one on my vintage Masi rider. It is the most comfortable saddle I ever sat on.

I did a double take to your assertion that the Turbo was being reissued. Had to check for myself--here's the link--http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Turbo+Saddle&vendorCode=SELLE&major=1&minor=18

294 grams is pretty light for a saddle with steel rails.

20. two wheels

two wheels New Member

Well, I went a little seat happy and baught the Turbo for the wife and a Brooks B17 for myself. Will see how we like them!:)