Road bike set up-eliminating hand soreness/numbness

Andrepaul

Sep 15, 2004
I've been having an issue with hand pain at the base of my hand where it meets the wrist only after short 20 mile rides. Can someone tell me optimum road bike brake lever and handlebar angles that should ease the pain I'm experiencing? Are there some key angles to follow to avoid this type of pain.

Andrepaul said:
I've been having an issue with hand pain at the base of my hand where it meets the wrist only after short 20 mile rides. Can someone tell me optimum road bike brake lever and handlebar angles that should ease the pain I'm experiencing? Are there some key angles to follow to avoid this type of pain.
It's possible your saddle is too high causing you to put too much pressure on your hands? I had the same problem when I first started riding.

Andrepaul said:
It's nearly impossible to give ideal angles or positions to set someone up on a bike. I'd check with your local bike shop to see if they have someone qualified to fit bikes.

I'd venture to guess that one of the following is happening (maybe other things as well):
1) your saddle is tilted too far down and you're using too much of your upper body and arms to support your weight
2) your brake levers/handlebars are tilted too far down
3) your stem length is too long
4) your saddle fore/aft position is too forward
5) your saddle-to-handlebar/stem height is too great

so.......

1) make sure your saddle is level or tilted slightly back (ever so slightly) to allow your butt to sit in that sweet spot on the saddle - right in that little "cup" where it sinks in a bit
2) level out your brake levers/handlebars. point the ends of the handlebars either straight back (level with the ground) or tilt them slightly so that the ends point at the rear derailleur. same goes for the levers - just bring them up a bit more to allow for a flatter hand position when on the hoods
3) try out one of those adjustable stems (like the Look Ergo Stem - check with your local bike shop) to see which stem length feels most comfortable
4) move your saddle fore/aft to determine which position affords you the most comfort and takes the strain off your wrists
5) check the difference in height between your saddle and handlebar/stem intersection. depending on your level of development and flexibility, you may need to have this difference be between 0-2 inches or up to 4+ inches if you're more flexible.

Those are just some guesses as to what could be happening. You should post a picture of yourself set up on your bike so some of us could get a good look at just how you're positioned. We might be able to help you figure out a few more ideas then:)
It's just really hard to do that with only a description of what's happening during your rides.
Hope this helps!