road bike shoes

two wheels

Jul 16, 2009
Hello ladies, I have a question for you. My wife has been riding her road bike now for a couple weeks and now it is time for bike shoes. She has high arches and her feet are wide at the toes and narrow at the heel. Is there a particular shoe you recomend? She usually has a problem with shoes because the top of her foot is higher because of the high arches. any reccomendations??

two wheels said:
Hello ladies, I have a question for you. My wife has been riding her road bike now for a couple weeks and now it is time for bike shoes. She has high arches and her feet are wide at the toes and narrow at the heel. Is there a particular shoe you recomend? She usually has a problem with shoes because the top of her foot is higher because of the high arches. any reccomendations??

Kinda unpopular I know, but I got some Nike road bike shoes. They were 2nd hand but in super good condition. Think they might be called Vonteoux

I have feet kinda like her, wider at toes but more narrow at heels. It isnt so unusual actually.

Sorry that wasnt much help was it :mad:

two wheels said:
She usually has a problem with shoes because the top of her foot is higher because of the high arches. any reccomendations??

The Bontrager lineup of shoes introduced this year features a wide forefoot, narrow heel, and high arches in the interchangeable footbeds from e-soles.com. The arches are too high for average adult feet but they might suit your wife just fine.

Thank you for the info, sounds like those shoes might be the ones for her. Will definately check those out!:)

two wheels said:

Most women's cycling shoes are built on a last specifically designed for a woman's foot. Typically you'll find a narrow heel and wider toe box. Make sure she has enough room in the toe box that she can move her toes up + down and side to side. Also, make sure her toes don't hit the end of the shoe.

I recommend trying on different brands. Go at the end of the day when her feet are bigger (swollen from the day). Post-exercise is a great time to try on shoes.

Cycling shoes should be worn loose in the shoe but tighter at the ankle to keep the foot from moving forward. This is extremely important when standing out of the saddle, as you don't want your foot to slide forward. If a shoe has three straps, keep the ankle secure but keep the other two very loose.

For arch support, I recommend the Specialized Body Geometry footbeds. They come in three arch heights and a Specialized dealer can test her to recommend the appropriate style.

Hope this helps!

Lorri Lee Lown
founder + coach
http://www.velogirls.com