Road bike sizing?

gigemaggs99

Jul 6, 2003
:confused:
I have been reading about different bike geometry's and I would like to know if the frame size matters that much. I would like to buy a used bike either on through this website or on ebay. I am 5'7"-5'8". Most manufactures show that I would need a 54cm, but I could also fit a 52cm and a 56cm. Does anyone have any imput on this? When I search for bikes I usually find a lot of 56cm but not many 54cm. Will this 2cm make or break me? I understand it's about comfort but when buying online it's not possible to try before I buy. Thank you for all your help.
By the way I'm looking for a Trek 5200.

gigemaggs99 said:
I have been reading about different bike geometry's and I would like to know if the frame size matters that much. I would like to buy a used bike either on through this website or on ebay. I am 5'7"-5'8". Most manufactures show that I would need a 54cm, but I could also fit a 52cm and a 56cm. Does anyone have any imput on this? When I search for bikes I usually find a lot of 56cm but not many 54cm. Will this 2cm make or break me? I understand it's about comfort but when buying online it's not possible to try before I buy. Thank you for all your help.
Test them and see how they fit and feel other wise

I am 5' 11" and went from a Trek 2200 54cm, to a Trek 5200 56cm, and I dont feel the difference. Are you still growing, or are you done? Heck, if you are 16, you might still be growing. Best advice, is from the previous post, try them both.

gigemaggs99 said:

gigemaggs99 said:
Traditonal frames are measured c-c,c-t and c to top of an extended seattube. seattube angles can vary with manufacturer as do TT lengths in the same 'nominal size. Then there is 'compact' sloping TT geometry. If you don't really know what you need you might get lucky, but just as likely to be throwing money away.

gigemaggs99 said:
I am 5'7"-5'8". Most manufactures show that I would need a 54cm, but I could also fit a 52cm and a 56cm. Does anyone have any imput on this? When I search for bikes I usually find a lot of 56cm but not many 54cm. Will this 2cm make or break me?

I was test riding 5200's recently. I'm 5'11", and have usually ridden a 56, though the salesman suggested I try a 58. I tried both, and marginally preferred the 56, though maybe because it's what I'm used to.

So I'd guess the 56 might be large for you, but only a test ride will tell you for sure.

Rob

First and foremost - Go Aggies!

On another note, I would highly recommend that you go into a well reputed bike store and have a professional size you on the 5200. Your height really isn't all that important to be honest - focus more on your inseam.

If you run into a local bike store, try a 54 and 56 Trek 5200 (and consider giving them a few bucks for the effort if you aren't going to buy from them to be nice.). See which one fits better. Have the bike tech measure you on the bike and see which works best. Then, head on over to Ebay and shop away!

I purchased a bike in recent past and had to return it because it didn't work well. I went from a 56 to a 54 and it has made all the difference in the world for me.

Just my two cents...

Best of luck!
-Bryan

Britt said:
First and foremost - Go Aggies!

On another note, I would highly recommend that you go into a well reputed bike store and have a professional size you on the 5200. Your height really isn't all that important to be honest - focus more on your inseam.

If you run into a local bike store, try a 54 and 56 Trek 5200 (and consider giving them a few bucks for the effort if you aren't going to buy from them to be nice.). See which one fits better. Have the bike tech measure you on the bike and see which works best. Then, head on over to Ebay and shop away!

I purchased a bike in recent past and had to return it because it didn't work well. I went from a 56 to a 54 and it has made all the difference in the world for me.

Just my two cents...

Best of luck!
-Bryan
I need a 57 top tube, I could care less about the seat tube. Like state above you need to get fitted to a bike, once this is done you should have all info you need to buy a bike online. Just rember that not everyone will measure the frame the same,just make sure you aregetting what you want.
I bought a frame that was to be a 56 c-c when I got it, it was a 54 c-t, way to small. From now on, I use the top tube for the frame size.

gigemaggs99 said:
I'm 5'5" and ride a 52cm bike, but I think I could stand to go one size lower. I think that as long as you're within one size of what you need, you can always play with stem length or handlebar height, etc, to get what you want.

Oh yeah, hook 'em, horns. :)