Road bike suggestion to use for triathlon

tdcadillac

Jul 1, 2020
Hello all,
I always dreamed of doing a triathlon. I have been lucky to do indoor cycling with triathletes that last 6 months and found out that I want to try it now
I am in the process of buying a road bike but since I am new to cycling I don't want to buy a triathlon bike (doesn't make sense to start with that if I never did road cycling before :)
Is a bike with 105 group set will be good to train with and do a sprint or Olympic once a year in the future.
For me just finishing a triathlon is an achievement but don't want to end up buying the wrong road bike if it will not be good for triathlon in the future.
Your feedback is very much appreciated.

If you want to be competitive, you pretty much need a specific Time Trial/Triathlon bike. If you’re OK with mainly challenging yourself, then a road bike will do fine. You can add Tri bars and swap in a zero offset seat post to make it a bit more tri adapted.
Keep in mind that bikes with tri bars may not be allowed on group rides, if you’re looking to do those.

Reactions: tdcadillac
If you want to be competitive, you pretty much need a specific Time Trial/Triathlon bike. If you’re OK with mainly challenging yourself, then a road bike will do fine. You can add Tri bars and swap in a zero offset seat post to make it a bit more tri adapted.
Keep in mind that bikes with tri bars may not be allowed on group rides, if you’re looking to do those.
Yes only looking for challenging myself. I intend to to a group rides once I have a bike and know people in my area that are doing so. it is always great to ride with experience people you learn alot

If just for the challenge, don't get a tri bike or a time trial bike. Just get a decent road bike so you can enjoy it on group and solo rides as well.

And 105 is decent. Cheaper (and not quite as good as) Ultegra and Dura-Ace, but not much different in real performance terms.

If just for the challenge, don't get a tri bike or a time trial bike. Just get a decent road bike so you can enjoy it on group and solo rides as well.

And 105 is decent. Cheaper (and not quite as good as) Ultegra and Dura-Ace, but not much different in real performance terms.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I heard the same expression before that there is no difference in real performance but in the same time they are good. could you please explain to me this with more details? Thank you very much

I also dreamed for a complete triathlon, The pity is I don't have that good physical strength.