Road Bike Tire Recommendations

sports86

Aug 4, 2011
[FONT= 'Arial']I live in the New Jersey, Philadelphia area. I currently ride a Specialized Roubaix Bike.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']I ride about 2 times during the week and Saturdays and Sundays for a total of 4 times a week.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']Weekdays I ride about 20 miles each day and on weekends I ride about 30-35 miles each day.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']I'm 5'11 and 225. I have a couple of rides coming up that are 75 miles plus. So I’m looking at new road tires.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']I've been looking at the following Continental Gatorskin Hardshell, Bontrager racelite hardcase, and Specialized elite Armadillo.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']Has anyone road on any of them and can anyone shed some light on theses tire. [/FONT]

I've been using the Bontrager RaceLite Hardcases for several years now and have had very good luck with them.

I went flat free for 5 years and then had 2 flats within 10 days last year. Since then I've been flat free. My current set has over 4,000 miles on them and I'll probably finish the riding season on them, and may even run them for awhile next year.

Don't know about the Hardshell but I have had good luck with the Continental Gatorskin in the past. The Bontragers are ususally good on this front too. Michelin Krylion Carbons don't do too bad here either.

But really, luck is the opeative word when it comes to punctures (and the presence of mind to look ahead on the road).

I just put on a set of the Continental Gator Skin Folding tired. After about 200 miles of riding, they seem to be holding up nicely. Still have a tiny bit of the excess rubber that is on the tread of new tires(specific name of that excess rubber escapes me).

I go along with the Gatorskin referral. Have had two sets over the last 7000+ miles. Maybe two flats in that time.

Originally Posted by Jamin Jake .

I just put on a set of the Continental Gator Skin Folding tired. After about 200 miles of riding, they seem to be holding up nicely. Still have a tiny bit of the excess rubber that is on the tread of new tires(specific name of that excess rubber escapes me).

I might actually have to remove my recommendation. Today while riding I got a flat and the sidewall has started to separate. These tired have maybe 500 miles on them. The front one still looks brand new. The rear one is the one where the sidewall is starting to separate.

I am going to try another set and I will report back.

racing:schwalbe ultremo r.1
training:continental gatorskin
rain:schwalbe ultremo aqua
here's my choices, hope this helps

I have Armadillo's and they're good. About $60 each. I'm a heavier rider weighing in at 190 and the sidewalls on these tires hold up perfect at 110 psi

If you want to eliminate most flats the Armadillos do work and they work better then any other tire in that regard. The Armadillo All Condition is the toughest and it cost only $45 from Specialized. The Armadillo All Condition Elite cost $65, the difference in price is the $65 one weighs about 180 grams less.

For what it's worth.

I used Bontrager hard case tires for years and never had any problems.

I just switched to Continental Grand Prix 4000s because the rolling resistance on the hard cases was horrible. The continentals have been great, much faster, high TPI, and no flats. I just rode the philly gran fondo last saturday in the pouring rain, over a good amount of debris, and they held strong. I keep them at 110 PSI. I live west of philly and ride the river trail, roads, etc.

Still standing behind Gatorskins as Well as the 4000 model.

However, we should start lobbying for better sidewalls. My son and I were out today and he picked up-kicked up something that went right through the sidewall and put a 1/4 inch cut in the sidewall. Tire was brand new, right out of the box. He is going to try and save the tire but may be a write off. Very surprised at how week the side walls are.

Actually, I have been using the Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro as a rear tyre and done at least 700KM w/o a puncture so far and the centre line is still visible, just. The Conti GP4000S that I used previously, although a more comfortable tyre, had punctured by this distance and after 1000KM I began to get a puncture a ride. Having said that my friend has ridden approx 2000KM on his GP4000S tyres w/o a puncture, although his rear tyre is getting close to needing replacement.

I have been running a Maxxis Ultralite 65gm tube with Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro rear tyre and because it hasn't punctured as yet, which is a confidence boost, I am considering running a latex tube such as Michelin, etc. I have been running the Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro rear tyre at 95psi, which seems to provide a comfortable enough ride. The rolling resistance is comparable to the GP4000S although not as comfortable.

I have run a Michelin Pro 3 Race front tyre w/o a puncture for about 2,500KM, which still has some life left. The Michelin Pro 3 Race is a faster tyre but on the rear it wears badly and has poor puncture resistance. Actually, the GP4000S or Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro tyres w/ a latex (or ultralite) tube would probably be as fast, if not faster than the Michelin Pro 3 Race with a more puncture resistant 100+gm tube, and provide a more comfortable ride.

Hope this is helpful :)

I was a fan of the Gatorskins but the tyre walls began to separate long before they wore out or got too cut up. They cracked so badly I wasn't confident I'd get round a 30 mile loop with the tyre intact. This has happened to both of the last set I bought. The Continental Attack/force I have had recently have become very cut up and the rear wore right down to the material within 2500 miles. I'm jumping ship to the Vittoria Diamante Pros which have good reviews and low rolling resistance and Wiggle (UK) are selling them cheap.

Gator Hardshells, on my fixie, on my tourer, had a puncture last year sometime, ran over a broken beer bottle

I'm really up in the air on what Tire's to get.
Went to a one local bike shop that let me road test the Continental Gatorskin Hardshell, Bontrager racelite X hardcase
As I was riding on the hardshell as luck would have it I got a small leak in the side wall of the gatorskin, rear tire. But they road nice and seemed fast.
I weigh 225lbs at 5"11
Little heavy. Trying to loss weight.
Then I tried the Bontrager. Nice but seemed slower than the gator skins.
Another bike shop let me try the Specialized elite Armadillo. Nice but also a little slow. Out of all 3 pairs they seem to be the pair that would hold up the best but not sure.
Speed or no flats. Still need help.
Any one ride Specialized tires

Try the Conti GP 4000S. They are super fast, you will love them.On my hardcase tires i can ride over broken glass, nails, rusted metal, etc. They are tanks! But like all tanks, they are slow. The Conti's ride so much better, you just have to be a little more aware of the obstacles mentioned before.

Originally Posted by Look 566 Rider .

Still standing behind Gatorskins as Well as the 4000 model.

However, we should start lobbying for better sidewalls. My son and I were out today and he picked up-kicked up something that went right through the sidewall and put a 1/4 inch cut in the sidewall. Tire was brand new, right out of the box. He is going to try and save the tire but may be a write off. Very surprised at how week the side walls are.
That's why I'm not a fan of Continental tires because their sidewalls have always been fragile...more fragile then any other brand of tire I know of. All the Cont's I ever owned except for one tire got destroyed due to a sidewall injury well before the tires wore out.

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Actually, I have been using the Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro as a rear tyre and done at least 700KM w/o a puncture so far and the centre line is still visible, just. The Conti GP4000S that I used previously, although a more comfortable tyre, had punctured by this distance and after 1000KM I began to get a puncture a ride. Having said that my friend has ridden approx 2000KM on his GP4000S tyres w/o a puncture, although his rear tyre is getting close to needing replacement.

I have been running a Maxxis Ultralite 65gm tube with Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro rear tyre and because it hasn't punctured as yet, which is a confidence boost, I am considering running a latex tube such as Michelin, etc. I have been running the Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro rear tyre at 95psi, which seems to provide a comfortable enough ride. The rolling resistance is comparable to the GP4000S although not as comfortable.

I have run a Michelin Pro 3 Race front tyre w/o a puncture for about 2,500KM, which still has some life left. The Michelin Pro 3 Race is a faster tyre but on the rear it wears badly and has poor puncture resistance. Actually, the GP4000S or Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro tyres w/ a latex (or ultralite) tube would probably be as fast, if not faster than the Michelin Pro 3 Race with a more puncture resistant 100+gm tube, and provide a more comfortable ride.

Hope this is helpful :)
Hi All, well I just had my first puncture with the Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro as a rear tyre (about 800KMs traveled). It looks like its a glass shard and it took a few KMs to work it's way through the iron cloak protection, because it only went flat after I got home? So, that curtails my plan to use a latex tube, for the moment, anyway.

I must admit though on the last couple of rides I was through alot of glass and stones, but I am still a little disappointed.
I will keep you informed of how it performs from now on :)

On another note, a fellow told me that he had no issues with the Kenda Criterium Extreme, although he said it was a little slower and a little heavier.
Also, I had a look at the ne Kenda Kaliante PRO and it feels like a nice tyre.
Although it is a tiny bit heavier LR3 Pro, it is suppose to be or considered the all weather tyre :)

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi All, well I just had my first puncture with the Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro as a rear tyre (about 800KMs traveled). It looks like its a glass shard and it took a few KMs to work it's way through the iron cloak protection, because it only went flat after I got home? So, that curtails my plan to use a latex tube, for the moment, anyway.

I must admit though on the last couple of rides I was through alot of glass and stones, but I am still a little disappointed.
I will keep you informed of how it performs from now on :)

On another note, a fellow told me that he had no issues with the Kenda Criterium Extreme, although he said it was a little slower and a little heavier.
Also, I had a look at the ne Kenda Kaliante PRO and it feels like a nice tyre.
Although it is a tiny bit heavier LR3 Pro, it is suppose to be or considered the all weather tyre :)
Hi All, I have had a good look at the puncture and it was defitely a glass shard, which was actually sitting in the tyre rubber.

The interesting thing is that there is no visible sign of it penetrating the inside of the tyre. Also, the tube had the smallest of holes ... interesting ... dono /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif
Anyway, patched now, so lets see how the tyre goes from this point :)

Hi again, fixed up the tyre and tube and was back on the road again, except this time I thought that I would try 100 psi as the Kaliente LR3 Pro rear tyre pressure (usually I ride with 95psi for more comfort). The story ...

The Conti GP4000S rolling resistance, that I was previously using, varied little between 90psi and 115psi.
With the GP4000S the only things the varied were comfort and puncture resistance ... both improved with lower pressure :)

Well this is not the case with the Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro as a rear tyre. The improvement in rolling resistance was noticeable to the point that climbs I was riding up in 39/28 I was now riding up in 39/25 or 39/23. This was a huge surprise to me and means this tyre with the higher pressure rolls better than the GP4000S and probably at least as fast a the Michelin Pro 3 Race, but lasts must longer and is more puncture resistant. It probably rolls even better at 105psi, which I will try next. The only down side is that the tyre becomes less comfortable as the pressure rises, which is to be expected. With the slightly higher pressure in the tyre it rolls faster on the flat and also accelerates noticeably faster. Another interesting point is that the tyre has traveled more then 800KMs. This experience impressed me quite alot :)

The Kenda Kaliente LR3 Pro tyre does not show a minimum pressure, only a maximum pressure which is 125psi.
Actually, by running the pressure at 95psi I probably unknowingly helped the puncture to occur and it also felt like the brakes were slightly on occasionally :-(

Froze, this tyre actually conforms to the tyre pressure calculator you pointed me too :)
I wouldn't have thought that 5psi of pressure could make such a difference, but it did.
FYI, my Bike and I weigh 92-93kgs (I am 85 Kg).
So for my weight it would appear that the min pressure is 100psi.
All good :)

Has anybody else had an experience like this :)