Road bike tires (tyres?)

SunBurnt

Jun 12, 2004
Is 700x23C the thinnest tires (tyres?) around?

Apart from rolling resistance compared to a 700x25C, is a 23 more prone to flats?

You can get 20 mm tyres, but they're harder to come by. I use Continental Grand Prix 700 x 20, non-foldable, which cost me about $26 US. The main reason I like them is for the higher pressure; they are rated to 150 psi.

Narrower, higher pressure tyres are less comfortable but they 'feel' heeps quicker.

I'm not sure about the punctures

Originally posted by nutbag
You can get 20 mm tyres, but they're harder to come by. I use Continental Grand Prix 700 x 20, non-foldable, which cost me about $26 US. The main reason I like them is for the higher pressure; they are rated to 150 psi.

Narrower, higher pressure tyres are less comfortable but they 'feel' heeps quicker.

I'm not sure about the punctures

If you had ridden one, do you think there is much difference between riding a 700x23 and a 700x25?

Coz I am wondering if to get a Giant TCR3 (23) or a Trek 1200 (25)
:p

I've never had a 25, but I would guess there'd be less difference between a 25 & 23 than a 20 & 23, mainly because of the pressure difference.

Many 20s can go really high, but the pressure ratings on 23s and 25s are very similar.

Not all 23mm tyres are the same; some measure at 22mm, while others are around 24.

(...don't get me started :) ).......then there's Vredestein tyres that seem to have a much lower profile, so the 23 feels like a 21!!
The good Vredesteins are expensive, at least in Australia they are (~$50 US), but if I was gunna get a 23 tyre, I'd get a Vredestein because of the higher psi ratings.

http://www.vredesteinusa.com/roadtyres/index.html
(Man, that red backdrop on the Vredestein site burnt my retinas:D )

Some of the Vittorias are worth a look, but I find them also a bit expensive http://www.vittoria.com/index3.asp?lingua=en

God, I'm obsessed.:D

D'OH, I just figured it out.

Are you trying to tell if the Trek is only comfortable because it has 25s on it?

I've never had a 25, but I would guess there'd be less difference between a 25 & 23 than a 20 & 23, mainly because of the pressure difference.

Many 20s can go really high, but the pressure ratings on 23s and 25s are very similar.

Not all 23mm tyres are the same; some measure at 22mm, while others are around 24.

(...don't get me started :) ).......then there's Vredestein tyres that seem to have a much lower profile, so the 23 feels like a 21!!
The good Vredesteins are expensive, at least in Australia they are (~$50 US), but if I was gunna get a 23 tyre, I'd get a Vredestein because of the higher psi ratings.

http://www.vredesteinusa.com/roadtyres/index.html
(Man, that red backdrop on the Vredestein site burnt my retinas:D )

Some of the Vittorias are worth a look, but I find them also a bit expensive http://www.vittoria.com/index3.asp?lingua=en

God, I'm obsessed.:D

wow! Those are really some cool tires
SWWEEET!

:D RED!! OMG!!
Maybe the guy who did the web is colour blind!
LOL!

D'OH, I just figured it out.

Are you trying to tell if the Trek is only comfortable because it has 25s on it?

Nah... you got me all wrong :D

This is my first roadie, so I was just wondering if there's a huge difference between 23 and 25 in terms of speed, rolling resistance and efficiency.

Anyway, went down to a LBS today and the guy ask me when I want the Trek delivered.
Even before I take it out for a spin!!
Geezz... talk about hard selling.

Probably will get the Giant TCR 3 at another LBS (one hour travel).
At least the owner didn't push me to buy it. And he gimme chance to test ride it. But the distance of this LBS from where I live is putting me off the purchase, if I needed service, I have to hail a cab to get there... duh

Originally posted by SunBurnt
Nah... you got me all wrong :D

Probably will get the Giant TCR 3 at another LBS (one hour travel).
At least the owner didn't push me to buy it. And he gimme chance to test ride it. But the distance of this LBS from where I live is putting me off the purchase, if I needed service, I have to hail a cab to get there... duh

I guess the TCR3 is one of the carbon ones?

In my opinion they're great value.

I might look at one for my next bike.

Originally posted by SunBurnt
If you had ridden one, do you think there is much difference between riding a 700x23 and a 700x25?

Coz I am wondering if to get a Giant TCR3 (23) or a Trek 1200 (25)
:p
Buy the bike that works best for you, not the friggin tires.They are cheap tires anyway and easy enough to repalce.There is no real standardization of widths anyway so unless they are an identical brand the 23 could be just as wide as the 25. Or the 25 could be as narrow as the 23 . The 25 could even be lighter than the 23.