Road Bike Tubes - Worth Paying More?

dougal

Nov 16, 2003
Is there any real difference in road bike tubes

Should I buy the AUD6 or AUD15 - will I get less flats/go faster?

Which are best for training?

the main difference will be in weight, if you get a puncture it will not matter how much you paid for the tube

ironically the more expensive tubes are made of latex i think and they leak air all the time so you have to pump them up every ride but you save 50gm or something so serious racers and posers use them

Originally posted by Duckwah
the main difference will be in weight, if you get a puncture it will not matter how much you paid for the tube

ironically the more expensive tubes are made of latex i think and they leak air all the time so you have to pump them up every ride but you save 50gm or something so serious racers and posers use them

Which do you recommend (Brand/Type)?

Weight is one difference but so is the ability to retain air pressure. I always used the least expensive tubes my LBS had available. Recently changed to Michelin. They retain pressure throughout my rides while I used to lose 5-10% with the cheap ones.

I've found Conti tubes are even better than Michelin. IME, With Kenda as a references, both Conti and Michelin are about twice as good at holding 120 psi.

I just use the cheapest performance tubes. I managed to get a set of 10 for about $15 at the local store. They're actually pretty good at holding air, I lose maybe 5-7PSI overnight out of 120. Doesn't matter much as I pump them up before every ride.

been using specialized and one other brand. I have not pumped the tires in over a week mabye 2. but i ride 5 days a week.

Thanks to the first post I have discovered through the process of reduction that I must be a poser! Anyway I use Conti latex tubes. They are light, provide a better "feel" similar to sewups, and they provide a better protection against puncturing. Latex does not hold air as well as butyl so you do have to pump before each ride... but I do that anyway.

Originally posted by bikerchas55
Thanks to the first post I have discovered through the process of reduction that I must be a poser! Anyway I use Conti latex tubes. They are light, provide a better "feel" similar to sewups, and they provide a better protection against puncturing. Latex does not hold air as well as butyl so you do have to pump before each ride... but I do that anyway.
Hard to get poseur points for something that cannot be seen...I'm good with what ever I can get for the cheapest.

Cheap is good with tubes.

The only road tubes I've had regular trouble with are Specialized; I've had a number spring premature leaks at the valve-stem/tube junction. They seem to be less heavily constructed in that critical area than other makes.

Other than that, I'll buy whatever road tube is on sale. Butyl, latex, whatever. You should check your psi before any significant ride anyways.

Happy riding.

Originally posted by bikerchas55

i'm not familiar with the process of reduction, but i do agree that latex provides a better road feel. i don't think it's a poser thing at all.

that said, i only used them in races because of the higher cost. now it's what's on sale (in butyl), though i don't usually go for the generics. conti or michelin.