Road bike vs Fitness bike? overwhelmed with options

DeidraLeigh

Apr 20, 2011
I really hope i can get some advice. I have been riding with a junkie Hybrid bike for a few years now that i purchased for 100 at Target. I purchased the bike as i am not a very good runner and wanted to try out biking to see if it was something I liked. i love it so much Ive never stopped and quickly longed for a better bike.

Ive researched all the options available but there are SOOO many options it seems.
i recently visited a local bike shop and tried out a few types. 1. was i believe a Fuji brand fitness bike and a Giant Avail road bike.

I want to go distances and although have no current interest in racing, Id like to join a group. I feel slightly intimidated since i have only ridden with friends on my junkie bike but that's besides the point.

I think my main question is, curved or straight bars? this is the question bothering me. the straight bar is what Ive been most comfortable with since its what Ive been riding for sometime and the riding position is comfortable for me. I tried the Giant Road bike today and it was definitely felt odd. much lighter and faster but i couldn't reach the brakes very easily and that made me nervous. the bike wasn't the right size for me so i know that likely had much to do with it.

anyway, i cant decide which i should go with. If i decide to go with the Curved handlebars I feel like I'm loosing the option of a relaxed ride. in that case would i need a second bike? can you ride fast distances with a road bike like that and still ride in a more upright position if you want to or are you limited by the design of the bike?

or should i just purchase a straight bar bike because i can ride distances easily with that kind of bike and also just ride around if I so choose.

thanks
D

I would encourage you to ride several road type bikes in the correct size. The road style bars, curved, offer multiple hand positions, where the flat bar bikes offer essentially only one. being able to move your hands around in different positions is essential to your comfort on longer rides. Hands on the straight central section is basically the same upright position you experience on the flat bar bike. Hands on the brake hoods let you stretch out a bit, and hands on the drop sections let your stretch more and achieve a more aerodynamic position. You probably will spend less than 10% of your time in the drops unless you have a lot of hills where you ride

DAL

If you want to go distances I would recommend a road bike (curved bars). You can get road bike with a more relaxed fit that will be similar to a fitness bike.

The main differences of the two. A road bike will be more arrow (have less wind resistance) and that will help for the longer rides. The big difference will be the tires a road bike will have skinny tires that will allow you to ride faster and farther at the same effort.

The fitness bike with fatter tires will allow you to ride on more surfaces like grass and some dirt and the ride will be a little bit softer due to the tires.

Don't let the names confuse you. You can ride a road bike for fitness and you can ride a fitness bike on the road.

• Thank you MMMhills, i was watching a lot of videos last night on the Road Bikes instructions on positioning etc. I just know that if i purchased a straight bar (fitness) bike ill end up wanting a road bike anyway. I think the solution is to own both ha I know that sounds ridiculous but its likely what I will do. I suppose my next question regarding the road bike is.... is it better to buy new or used?

Hands on the straight central section is basically the same upright position you experience on the flat bar bike
Thank you, thats exactly what I was wondering. I could not find any videos of people riding in that position to see if it was an option. Ive only had this part mountain bike part steam roller so riding a light weight road bike like yesterday is certainly an adjustment. I wasnt sure if i felt uneasy because the position was so new to me.

ive been reading still and i noticed that they are classifying some "road bikes" with a flat bar mfor "comfort they say. but is this true or is that just a hybrid? they didnt call it a hybrid. anyone?

Originally Posted by DeidraLeigh .

ive been reading still and i noticed that they are classifying some "road bikes" with a flat bar mfor "comfort they say. but is this true or is that just a hybrid? they didnt call it a hybrid. anyone?

If it has flat bars it is not a road bike it is a hybrid/fitness bike. I started with a Hybrid and quickly went to a road bike. I never ride the Hybrid anymore. You can ride a road bike on gravel and other conditions it just takes more skill with the thin tires and you run a better chance to get a flat. I also have a mountain bike that I use for single track and off road riding. I find the Hybrid/fitness bike can do both (road and dirt) but does neither very well.

You asked if you should get new or used. Tough question, a 1 - 3 year old used bike is the best value BUT you need to know a thing or two about bikes to make sure it has not been used much and is in good condition and the most important thing is getting one that fits. Normally for your first bike the services that a good bike shop offer are worth the money. If you can find an experienced knowledgeable cyclist that will help in a used bike purchase then that might work as well.

Originally Posted by MMMhills You asked if you should get new or used. Tough question, a 1 - 3 year old used bike is the best value BUT you need to know a thing or two about bikes to make sure it has not been used much and is in good condition and the most important thing is getting one that fits.

I tihnk thats a great point. Especially for a beginer like me. its easy to want the really great deal on craigslist. Im very afraid of it not fitting properly. thanks :)