Road Bike w/ XTR Rear Der. & STI - Problems?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter Jarich, May 12, 2003.

  1. Peter Jarich

    Peter Jarich Guest

    Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped road bike?

    Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity of
    tackling big hills.

    Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    Thanks.

    Peter [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "Peter Jarich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    > road bike?
    >
    > Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    > For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    > 27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    > road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity
    > of tackling big hills.
    >
    > Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be better as
    the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

  3. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "WiSCOTTsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Peter Jarich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    > > road bike?
    > >
    > > Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would
    > > offer. For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with
    > > greater than 27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes
    > > painful shifting of a road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k.
    > > with this for the rarity of tackling big hills.
    > >
    > > Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be better
    > as the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

    Oops, I see your post stated "larger than 27t" - after looking, I see that the max is 27t for the
    long cage ultegra. My bad.

  4. Peter Jarich asked:

    >>Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    >>road bike?

    No, all Shimano rear derailers index the same since 1997.

    >>Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    >>For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    >>27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    >>road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity
    >>of tackling big hills.
    >>
    >>Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    An anonymous poster suggested:

    > I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be better
    > as the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

    I haven't read the whole thread. If Peter doesn't already have a rear derailer, there's no downside
    to buying an XT.

    If he already has an Ultegra, however, it isn't necessary to replace it just 'cause he wants
    something lower than 27. Any Shimano rear derailer will handle a 30 tooth in back.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ca-m.html#capacity

    Sheldon "Waste Not" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    | Always listen to the experts. | They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. | Then do it.
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Peter Jarich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    > road bike?
    >
    > Why would I do this? 95% of the time, I don't need the extra range that a road triple would offer.
    > For the other 5% of the time, I figure a MTB rear der would let me run cassettes with greater than
    > 27t and give me the range of a triple without the added weight and sometimes painful shifting of a
    > road triple. I know I might need to run a longer chain, but I'd be o.k. with this for the rarity
    > of tackling big hills.
    >
    > Any input on problems I would run into or other issues to consider?

    That's a popular setup and works just fine.

  6. Peter-<< Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped
    road bike?

    Nope-

  7. Lupis-<< I'd just run a long-cage Ultegra derailleur ( RD 6500 GS ). Shifting performance would be
    better as the der is designed to work with the STI levers.

    MTB rear ders from shimano are also designed for use with STI(shimano total integration)...

  8. Peter Jarich <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Will I have a problem running an XTR (or any Shimano) rear der. with my Ultegra equipped road bike?

    No, provided it's not over about 5 years old - the cable pull has been the same for some time. I
    have a very cheap Tourney offroad rear derailleur on my bike - quite frankly these days all
    derailleurs are much of a muchness provided they have the capacity.

  9. Brian Wasson

    Brian Wasson Guest

    No, you shouldn't have a problem. Many tandems, for example, are spec'd that way from the factory.
    Our Santana road tandem has Ultegra 9 speed levers with an XTR rear derailleur and an XT 11-34
    cogset (chainrings are 24-38-48 with an Ultegra FD).

    Brian

    news:<[email protected]>...