Road bike -what to choose???

nexus_rider

Mar 3, 2016
Hi all,

For some time I've decided to switch from my old trecking bike to faster roady.
My options would be Kestrel Talon Ultegra 2016 and Pinarello Razha 2015.
Prices right now are almost identical as Pinarello has been discounted lately (around $1600).
Pinarello Razha has a 105 gear while Kestrel is on Ultegra but not 100% (just the deraileurs and shifters).
Pinarello is a clasic road bike. Kestrel Talon is a versatile aero bike that could easily turn into a TT bike.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ride both and pick the one that fits you and your position on the bike best. Factor in ride characteristics and even how they just plain look to your eye.

There is about zero functional difference between 5800 and 6800 shimaNO stuff and whenever it wears out, upgrade replacement parts are dirt cheap for both lines. Seats and tires are a non issue as OEM seats are the most quickly replaced single component and the tires will soon be shot anyways and replacement rubber of your choice will be fitted then.

If possible ride both but I think you're buying on line. Of the two I would go with the Pinarello unless you have plans to do TT rides. Pinarello's are probably (note the word probably) the strongest built CF bikes; and depending on where you're getting the Kestrel like at Bikes Direct, if you ever had a warranty issue you could be having a hassle; whereas the Pinarello if you're getting it at Competitive Cyclist ($1500 there now) the customer service would be a lot better.

Hi all,

For some time I've decided to switch from my old trecking bike to faster roady.
My options would be Kestrel Talon Ultegra 2016 and Pinarello Razha 2015.
Prices right now are almost identical as Pinarello has been discounted lately (around $1600).
Pinarello Razha has a 105 gear while Kestrel is on Ultegra but not 100% (just the deraileurs and shifters).
Pinarello is a clasic road bike. Kestrel Talon is a versatile aero bike that could easily turn into a TT bike.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Whenever someone is considering buying a new bike the first question they should ask themselves is "What kind of riding am I going to do?". Obviously, you said you wanted a road bike BUT what kind of road riding? Are you going to race? Are you just doing fitness rides several times a week? Are you looking to just do a weekend group ride? Are you looking to do long distances? When you have narrowed the field, then you can make a more informed choice as to what kind of bike you want and/or need. You may need a road bike that is versatile enough to handle more than one discipline. Or maybe you only need one type of road bike. Then in answering some of these questions, the question would then be "do I really need a Carbon Fiber bike?" just because the corporate bike industry is marketing the bikes hard. What about ride quality? Choosing a steel frame may be a better choice if comfort is a priority factor. There are steel frame bikes out there that are only slightly heavier than some CF equivalents. You are not really sacrificing much by choosing steel. If you wreck your CF, a cracked frame is possible and then you're screwed. But if you are truly trying to be a "weight weenie" then maybe you want to go CF. But if you're considering 105, it doesn't sound like weight is a priority. I'm not going to tell you what you should buy, but you really should consider your purpose before you simply buy what is popular on the mainstream.

I'd probably just pick a bike that calls your name out, a bike that you can fit on really easy and can build a connection with. I know this sounds vague, but if you go test different bikes out you can see what I'm talking about and find your perfect bike as well!