Road bike with 105, some carbon, for $1,000?

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
I've been considering getting a road bike for purely recreational riding, however, I would like a bike with at least the 105 groupset and some carbon that would bring the weight around 20 pds.

I've seen the Scattante R-550 form Supergo that I can get for under 1,000CAD. Has anyone seem similar deals in Canada, maybe on 2004's?

I have a mountain bike that I have a 2nd set of rims for road rides, but there are some drawbacks. I would only get a road bike if I get a great deal.

Thanks.

noonievut said:
I've been considering getting a road bike for purely recreational riding, however, I would like a bike with at least the 105 groupset and some carbon that would bring the weight around 20 pds.

I've seen the Scattante R-550 form Supergo that I can get for under 1,000CAD. Has anyone seem similar deals in Canada, maybe on 2004's?

I have a mountain bike that I have a 2nd set of rims for road rides, but there are some drawbacks. I would only get a road bike if I get a great deal.

Thanks.

That's a tall order. I think you're looking at 2 grand for such a bike. The low end Argons are great bikes, and Canadian!

http://www.argon18bike.com/eng/index.php?section=2&sous_section=2_7a#

Trek 1200 and 1500 have shimano 105 components. They both also have carbon fiber forks. 1200 is about $800 and 1500 is $1000 at least at my local bike shop. Im not too sure about the weight though. I myself plan on getting a 1200. I hope this helped u a little.

look around for a 2004 model. you may find what you are looking for at a good price

Hmmmm......tall order indeed.Not sure if you will snag such a deal hereabouts unless you find a shop desperate to move previous year models or maybe a second hand bike.

Check Ebay.It seems many bike shops will try and clear out stock via the internet.

So far I've seen only the Scattante R-550 (from Supergo in the US) that after CAD conversion, is about $900. Unfortunatley shipping and not having a local LBS responsible for it may be issues. There is a Felt with all 105 for $1,500 at a LBS in Toronto.

Although the drivetrain is important, I need to read up on wheel sets, handlebars and the other components for road bikes before I take the plunge.

Right now I have a hardtail with two sets of rims and I'm running 1.4 slicks on the road. Although I'm a bit slower than if I had a road bike, it's far cheaper than buying a 2nd bike. For now I think I'll hold off and see if I can get a good deal in the fall.

That is a fantastic price for sure. But be careful with some of the deals out there. I know that I have heard some horror stories (and seen personally) with some bikes that use sub-standard wheelsets and their OWN brand of carbon parts and brakes.

Usually it is not such a use problem (the carbon parts, since they are all likely made in the same type factory as the well known brands).

But you do have to take care. Some of the lesser known products have unknown quality assurance standards, so you don't always know exactly what you're getting.

I did take a look at the deal you mentioned on SUPERGO as well. It is a little bit misleading in that it is not really a fully outfitted 105 bike. Only the derailleurs and shifters are Shimano105.

The crankset, forks and other lesser profile parts (seatpost, stem etc) are more of an entry level bike.

That being said though, the price is still decent, but you will get hit for another $100-200 when it comes across the boarder (duty, and taxes).

Just my 2cents.
Cheers
Rob