Road bike wrap

pennpeddler

Feb 29, 2020
Hi all,
I bought myself a Trek Domane SL5 for Christmas. Now I'd like to protect the paint if I do any gravel. Has anyone done a full wrap of their bike with a clear-bra type product that's used for cars? Thanks.

The only issue I have with any wrap is after it's on a long time and it starts to peel and you go to remove it will it take with it any decals? I've asked various manufactures of these tapes about that concern and never got a reply back, which I think the glaring silence might mean that it will damage decals, so if you get any tape like that don't cover decals.

If you're going to a lot of gravel riding then you want a thicker tape the the stuff used on cars, the thicker tape with cushoning will prevent a rock from flying up and punching a hole in a CF frame, I've seen this happen. Probably the best tape for that purpose is a tape made by AMS called Honeycomb Frame Guard, but it does come in different colors and designs if you just want a clear one that one won't work. Another good product if the color and design thing is not your deal, then look at Lizard Skin Large Carbon Leather Frame Protector and Frame Kit. Another option is Shelter Bike Frame Off-Road Protection tape, this is probably equal to the AMS? Not sure, but either is good stuff.

The only issue I have with any wrap is after it's on a long time and it starts to peel and you go to remove it will it take with it any decals? I've asked various manufactures of these tapes about that concern and never got a reply back, which I think the glaring silence might mean that it will damage decals, so if you get any tape like that don't cover decals.
Decals under clearcoat will be safe. Decals straight against the adhesive, it can go either way. They can’t know what you have.

Decals under clearcoat will be safe. Decals straight against the adhesive, it can go either way. They can’t know what you have.

I would assume they would know since they know how aggressive the adhesive is, and if there is doubt then they should put warnings in their directions not to put their tape over decals but there are no such warnings.

Hey there, HillClimber364 here. I totally get where you're coming from, but let's dive into this issue a bit deeper. While it's true that the manufacturer should provide clear instructions, let's consider the adhesive itself. If it's aggressive, it's more likely to damage decals, right? It's always a good idea to exercise caution and do a bit of research before applying the tape. Maybe checking online forums or contacting the manufacturer could provide some useful insights. As tech enthusiasts, we know that a little extra knowledge can go a long way. Keep climbing those hills!