Road Bike

BadBreaks

Dec 1, 2004
Hi group,

I've been riding my old mountain bike. I haven't bothered to get a "proper" bike yet because I wanted to see that I was sticking with cycling and not going to drop it after a couple of weeks.

The question is, would you really notice the difference between riding a proper road bike and a mountain bike basically designed for a kid to ride around. I had a look at a nice Specialized Allez a little while back and it seemed a lot lighter.

Any thoughts on the riding advantages of a proper set of wheels?

BadBreaks

BadBreaks said:
Hi group,

I've been riding my old mountain bike. I haven't bothered to get a "proper" bike yet because I wanted to see that I was sticking with cycling and not going to drop it after a couple of weeks.

The question is, would you really notice the difference between riding a proper road bike and a mountain bike basically designed for a kid to ride around. I had a look at a nice Specialized Allez a little while back and it seemed a lot lighter.

Any thoughts on the riding advantages of a proper set of wheels?

BadBreaks
You probably wont notice much when it comes to weight differences but it will be a lot easier and more enjoyable to ride with road wheels and tyres. The best thing you could do is go down to your bike shop and ask to test ride a road bike, that way you dont have to rely on secondhand opinions.

While I haven't yet had a chance to get out on my new road bike, one thing I've been told is that the lower position means you use your glutes, which you can't really use when you're sitting more upright. This should give a little more speed/power. The tires are a big part of it too.

Aerodynamics has a lot to do with it too. Switching from a high-bar touring bike to a more aggressive road bike, I've increased my average speed over 30 miles from 14.5 to 16.5 miles an hour, and it's not even spring yet!

I second going to the bike shop. Just test ride a few, and you'll see for yourself pretty quickly the difference. Road bikes can go a lot faster with a lot less effort, and you'll be a lot more comfortable. If you're serious about road cycling, you need one. Mountain bikes are just good for the trails.

You WILL notice a big difference in the weight! The front end of a road bike is so light that it can be scary. Next you will feel the difference in the position of your body. You will feel some pain and soreness in the saddle area, and your back. After a while, you will love it or leave it. They are very different bikes for different uses, and it will be tough going at first. One thing is for sure, you will cover 3 or 4 times the distance on a road bike, using the same amount of energy. Your average speed will also be higher. Oh, and don't call it a proper bike, it's a road bike. The only thing proper is that you enjoy your ride!
Good luck.

ganderctr said:
Aerodynamics has a lot to do with it too. Switching from a high-bar touring bike to a more aggressive road bike, I've increased my average speed over 30 miles from 14.5 to 16.5 miles an hour, and it's not even spring yet!
I could hold 17.5 MPH in the middle of winter. Over a 50 mile course.:cool:

Your Slow:p

Cyclist14 said:
I could hold 17.5 MPH in the middle of winter. Over a 50 mile course.:cool:

Your Slow:p
Hey.. don't be cruel. We all ride at different paces. (I can hold 19.5 in the middle of winter over a 75-80 mile course, but then I live in Texas.)

Yeah, you boys need to be nicer. I can barely manage 15mph over any distantce. :eek:

I think a road bike makes a huge difference. After riding a summer on a road bike I got on my mountain bike and rode on a short stretch of highway to the base of a trail and it felt like somebody was pulling on my jersey holding me back. I think the weight, tires, and riding position are the key factors. I can guarantee you that once you ride a road bike on the road you will never want to ride an upright bike again.

I've been riding a road bike since october now, and i was using a mountain bike before that. they are very different. I find the road bike smoother to pedal, and now i have no suspension, much smoother (when there's a good road surface - although there's not many good roads in lincolnshire) I also find it a more natural riding position for the arms. I went on my mountain bike for the first time the other week since november, and it just felt like a toy bike! it did not feel natural at all.

Because the road tires are slimmer, there is less tire touching the ground at once which leads to less traction and a more enjoyable ride. Riding a road bike when you are riding on the road is MUCH more appropriate and enjoyable. You cannot enjoy the true speed of the sport unless you can reach those speeds! It is virtually impossible to reach these speeds on a 30+lbs mountain bike for youth riders.

I have a Giant TCR II with upgraded components to Ultegra and a Duraace crankset. These components are lighter and the weight of your bike plays a major role in your ride.

I own a beach cruiser, which is perfect since I live near the beach--go figure. But, I think all in all, I have a much more enjoyable ride when I'm using my little bike over a racing bike. My back doesn't hurt as much and I am upright, taking in all the views. If you're invested in it, why not have both? That way you can enjoy your daily bike ride, but also do some racing!

Yes there is totally a difference in bikes which are branded, specially made and the more expensive one compared to those which can be bought from shops or toy stores. It depends on how you will use it and if you are really dedicated, interested and take cycling seriously. It also depends on your age and status. As how I see it, older adults who have a job with reasonable income buy those specialized bikes because they can afford it and also they are true and dedicated cycling enthusiasts; and some are competing in races and triathlons. Those younger kids or adults tend to buy the affordable ones which are more than toys but lesser in quality than the specialized ones; they use it as a hobby or so they can have a ride to and from. If you are really dedicated to cycling and love it then you can save up for a specialized one.

It all depends on the kind of location you are living. One can have better work of they actually use a bike that is suitable for their needs.

It would be way easier to go biking on a road bike rather than riding on a mountain bike. You'll cover more distance and sav up more energy per mile travelled. Once you get used to riding in its weird position, you are going to love road biking! Best desicion I have ever made by far!

I miss my old mountain bike because it was just such a joy to ride it was so easy to just climb on it and pretty much climb up any hill that I could find. I would just climb up hills just for the fun of it simply because it had great traction and it never killed out on me. I remember one time that my bike switch gears on accident and malfunctioned but that wasn't a big deal.