road bike...

mongooseboy

Jul 25, 2005
ive never owned a road bike but i plan on saving up for one because i want to ride farther and longer than my mtb with slicks allows me to. But before i save up and spend money i need to know...im a pretty hefty guy (210 right now) and want to know if a road bike, probably 700-800 dollar trek, is going to be able to withstand me. i dont need a super expensive bike, but i want one decent enough to last a while, and the treks look like good bikes. wont have money till next tax season but im currently riding 30-40 miles a week and a good pace on my mtb with slicks, trying to cut some weight. my average pace is 13mph, but that will likely increase when i drop weight and get more in cycling shape. i remember i used to avg around 15mph which is good with such fat tires...i think...i just have a roadie itch, and possibly a few centuries in the future if i can get into shape.

mongooseboy said:
ive never owned a road bike but i plan on saving up for one because i want to ride farther and longer than my mtb with slicks allows me to. But before i save up and spend money i need to know...im a pretty hefty guy (210 right now) and want to know if a road bike, probably 700-800 dollar trek, is going to be able to withstand me. i dont need a super expensive bike, but i want one decent enough to last a while, and the treks look like good bikes. wont have money till next tax season but im currently riding 30-40 miles a week and a good pace on my mtb with slicks, trying to cut some weight. my average pace is 13mph, but that will likely increase when i drop weight and get more in cycling shape. i remember i used to avg around 15mph which is good with such fat tires...i think...i just have a roadie itch, and possibly a few centuries in the future if i can get into shape.

I've got 2 years on a Specialized Allez and I'm just over 200 pounds. So far (knock on wood) I have had no issues at all.

Hope that helps!

I don't think your size/weight will be an issue for your bike. I'm 175 lbs, but I've seen enough larger people on the road to believe that 200 lbs is not large enough to worry. It's customary for roadies of all sizes to dodge potholes and such, so a little care will still be necessary.

I started on a Trek 1000 and it served me faithfully for 5 years before I was ready to move up. Actually, it still serves as my 'trainer bike.' I think an entry level Trek would be a good choice.

frenchyge said:
I don't think your size/weight will be an issue for your bike. I'm 175 lbs, but I've seen enough larger people on the road to believe that 200 lbs is not large enough to worry. It's customary for roadies of all sizes to dodge potholes and such, so a little care will still be necessary.

I started on a Trek 1000 and it served me faithfully for 5 years before I was ready to move up. Actually, it still serves as my 'trainer bike.' I think an entry level Trek would be a good choice.
thanks :) if i ride enough and get out enough, i can get my weight down to probably 170-180 (no joke) i used to be around 180 5 years ago in highschool....amazing what not playing tennis anymore does...but ive found biking to be an easier sport for one person to enjoy :) dont need somone to chase haha. a road bike should help me get in shape faster and allow me to go on longer rides. plus i just want one. now i gotta wait 7 months or so...

I don't think your weight will be a big issue especially if you're planning on spending around those amounts.

It usually becomes an issue when much more expensive bikes/wheels that are offered in the "lightweight" category...these bikes, by shaving off the necessary materials in places at the risk of durability, may have weight issues...but they're usually around 180 to 200 lbs limit. Sooooo...You're just right there.

mongooseboy said:

Your weight should be fine for a Trek 1000. I'm 6'2" and weigh 215, and I have been riding my 1000 50-60 miles per week for 2 years. It has been a great bike. I would recommend rim tape.

I am not in the heavyweight Catergory, I weigh 150 and I am 6'1, but I have been riding a Trek 1500 for the past 7 months and it has held up well. I have raced it nine times this year and I plan to continue Racing next year.

However, I will get a Custom CSK frame through my team and put Ultegra 10 on it, I will also get a pair of Rolf Prima Vigors with Continental Force& Attack tires and Ritchey WCS Seatpost, Stem and Handlebars w/ yellow bar tape and a yellow Selle Italia SLR

Or our team might go with a factory Giant TCR 2 or an Orbea ( I forgot which model)

I can't wait!!!:D

Cyclist14 said:
I am not in the heavyweight Catergory, I weigh 150 and I am 6'1, but I have been riding a Trek 1500 for the past 7 months and it has held up well. I have raced it nine times this year and I plan to continue Racing next year.

However, I will get a Custom CSK frame through my team and put Ultegra 10 on it, I will also get a pair of Rolf Prima Vigors with Continental Force& Attack tires and Ritchey WCS Seatpost, Stem and Handlebars w/ yellow bar tape and a yellow Selle Italia SLR

Or our team might go with a factory Giant TCR 2 or an Orbea ( I forgot which model)

I can't wait!!!:D
Cyclist14, What size is your 1500? I am upgrading to a Trek 1500 from my 1000 (posted a thread yesterday), and my LBS only has 58 and 63cm. My 1000 is a 60cm, and it feels great. Trek no longer has 60's in inventory (due to 06's coming out). Should I wait for 06 1500, or try out a 58 or 63? P.s., I am 6'2". Thanks.

Wow, you guys make me feel fat!!!....lol!
I am 6'4", 238lbs. I ride a LeMond Tourmalet. I try to do about 100 miles a week, 40-50 mile rides. I havent had any problems. Right now LeMonds are made by TREK, so i can say that the quality is there with either brand. Although, from what I understand LeMOnds will not be made by TREK for very much longer.

I would say the biggest thing besides the frame when dealing with the rider's weight, is going to be rim selection. Make sure you have a durable wheel set.

the bike shop i will be going to has VERY good customer service, with knowledable people working there. im sure they will point me to what is going to suit my size and weight. they are NOT the kind of bike shop to sell something just to make money they want the rider to be happy, the shop is along a very popular bike/walk/jog path that follows the Erie Canal in NY state.

rim tape? yep i use it on my mtbs, i would NEVER go without it. one small burr on the spoke holes and pop there goes a tire. i use velox rim tape...cheap and durable :)

Have you considered a full steel frame? They are way comfortable especially if you add a carbon fork and or seat post. When I started riding about 3 years ago I was 205ish and bought a Lemond Reynold's 583(or something along those lines :) ) and loved it.

I've done both steel and carbon. I also have a Tourmalet, like a poster above me, but mine's steel, and I recently bought a carbon fiber bike (the one listed in my sig line). I started off as a woefully out of shape smoker at about 250 pounds (and I too was of lighter stature for years, 170 pounds-ish in my early 20s), and am down to about 200, non-smoker, with more weight coming off all the time and my fitness rising. What I'm getting at, I guess, is that I think most of the frames out there are built well enough to handle a lot of abuse, and that includes fat-asses like us beating them up. A buddy has a Trek 1200 and he's about 240-250. It all depends on your riding style, though. I ride pretty fluidly and avoid major shocks like square hits, holes, curbs, etc. If you ride like a T-Rex, don't expect any road bike to hold up very long. :D