Road bikes and carrying stuff..

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by TooSore, Aug 31, 2003.

1. TooSore

TooSore New Member

Carrying my change of clothes etc on my back is a pain (literally) in the arse so am considering panniers...

Now here is the thing

The bike has no lugs to take a rear rack.

Have seen a funky trek seat post attaching carrier that would hang the pannier off - however without the uprights from the wheel hub to stop it swinging the panniers will sway around - foul the back wheel and I will visit Mr Tarmac at home.

So any ideas?

Tags:

2. Ben

Ben New Member

3. pig pog

pig pog New Member

how about p-clips to mount a regular rack? Wont take as much weight as a proper mount but may be enough for commuting if you are smart with your load management.

Or you could put a racktop bag on top of the seat pin mounted rack, or a carradice saddle bag. Maybe with a bar bag for overflow.

best wishes
    james

4. ant evans

ant evans New Member

5. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

I bought some of these for one of my two utility bikes:

http://www.sportsbay.com/baskets.html

6. jdc2000

jdc2000 New Member

Topeak has a seat post rack that can be fitted with side frames to prevent panniers from contacting the wheel.

http://www.topeak.com

7. FreeHueco

FreeHueco New Member

Or just get one of the extra large Timbuk2 messenger bags..

8. mogmog2

mogmog2 New Member

I went with p clips. 16mm wide stainless steel with s/s bolts from a yacht chandlers. Thus far all is ok with these for rack & mudguard. As pigpog says- you needn't carry all that much weight for a commute.
    Jono

9. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Blackburn, a maker of racks, sells rubber coated P-clips. There are a variety of sizes that may mate with your seat stays.
    Topeak makes a trunk bag and a mating seatpost mounted rack.
    The Topeak solution has a quick release collar and shims to help mate with the diameter of your seat post. The QR allows you to quickly and easily remove the rack, when you don't want it with you. The trunk bag also has it's own slide off "quick release" method. You may choose to QR the whole thing if petty theft is an issue where you park your bike.
    The size and shape of your packed clothing will determine what works best for you.
    Most road bikes have short chain stays. This results in limited heel clearance for rack mounted panniers. You should check the clearance issue with your bike, potential rack & pannier combo; before you go that route.
    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

10. hybridhybrid

hybridhybrid New Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2349390761&category=10035&rd=1

They have these on Ebay usually- try a google search to find a retailer selling them.
    If the link doesn't work it's a bike lock made by Master Lock that doubles as a carrier rack- it mounts to your seatpost. Pretty trick idea = "why didn't I think of that".
    It might work out for you.

James Boardman, Skokie. Illinois. USA

11. vrkelley

vrkelley New Member

12. Corsaire

Corsaire New Member

Would the Bianchi EROS be able to take light load, panniers or rear racks? How about fenders?
    Corsaire

13. vrkelley

vrkelley New Member

My Trek 2200 had the brazons to do fenders but not the rear rack (that'd hold a pannier). So the bike shop just drilled a hole and installed one anyway.

Over the counter fenders are too short. If you get the fenders you'll need a plastic extension behind each tire that goes almost to the ground. That'll keep you cleaner and the guy behind you also!

14. msrw

msrw New Member

Blackburn used to make an adapter for frames without rack mounts that seemed a better solution than P clips. It was something that fit in the triangular cut out of the rear drop outs, and allowed one to use a rear rack on racing bikes and the like.

15. monkey_magnus

monkey_magnus New Member

I commute to work on my road bike, which has no rack mountings. used to use a rucksack, but I have found that the messenger-style bags are much more comfortable, as the load sits much lower down. having a waist strap stops the bag swinging about, and helps to support the weight a bit too.

I have a hard-tail mountain bike which I used to go touring round Europe last year. This also has no rack mounts, and so I purchased a seatpost mounted rack, with side supports. I would not reccommend this to anyone, I found it to be quite dangerous. On a number of occasions, on bumpy surfaces, my panniers swung round and snagged on the wheels. I did not come off, but my panniers did get thrown off and across the road, breaking my digital camera in the process.
    I don't think I can use p-clips, as I have a wishbone-type seatstay. Any ideas what I could do to fit a proper rack to this bike? I would love to go touring on it again, as it is really light and comfortable

16. vrkelley

vrkelley New Member

Depending on the type of frame, your LBS may be able to drill out a spot to mount the rack. If they do, remind them that the new hole must be primed to prevent corrosion.

17. veganheart

veganheart New Member

Tricks I use with bikes that have no fender or rack mounts:

1 hose clamps - ugly but quite strong; put a couple layers of duct tape underneath so your frame wont get scratched

2. I currently use Jim Blackburn "things" that go inside your seatstay triangles - no problem so far. The only issue is that apparently they dont make these anymore. I bought mine within the last six months so you may still be able to find some by phoning around

3. Use the hardware that comes with the rack. the pieces i am refering to are shaped like a "u". I dont think they are meant for this purpose but i have had no problems in the past. they may bend under extreme wieght

good luck!

18. dorian

dorian New Member

19. starquake

starquake New Member

even a larger handlebar bag can be big enough to carry a lot of things. on of my friends can carry clothes for several days in his _large_ handlebar bag on his road bike. the good part is that his handlebar bag also has a see-thru map pocket on the top, and it can easily be detached and carried as an ordinary bag.

20. manilacyclist

manilacyclist New Member

Like FreeHueco I would suggest a Timbuk2 DEEDOG.