road bikes for kids

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by clubob, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. clubob

    clubob Guest

    I'm looking for advice from people with experience putting kids on road
    bikes. I've checked out the 24inch and 650c versions from
    manufacturers like Trek and Ibex. My son is about to turn 9 and is 4-7
    and I can see him close to 5 feet by the end of the year. I think he
    would be happy with a little 24 inch road bike today but he seems on
    the cusp of fitting a little 650c or even 700c road bike soon, like a
    women's specific model. I'd like some advice from people with real
    world knowledge on this. thanks

    Tags:

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    clubob wrote:
    > I'm looking for advice from people with experience putting kids on road
    > bikes. I've checked out the 24inch and 650c versions from
    > manufacturers like Trek and Ibex. My son is about to turn 9 and is 4-7
    > and I can see him close to 5 feet by the end of the year. I think he
    > would be happy with a little 24 inch road bike today but he seems on
    > the cusp of fitting a little 650c or even 700c road bike soon, like a
    > women's specific model. I'd like some advice from people with real
    > world knowledge on this. thanks

    I've been through this with 2 kids. It's a tough age. The 24" & 650c
    bikes are kind of scarce and expensive. I went with an inexpensive
    ($250) fully rigid MTB, but then we did most of our family riding
    off-road. A MTB isn't too bad for road riding if you invest in a set of
    slicks. If your son is anything like mine, no way he'd ride a women's
    specific model...

  3. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    When I was 10 I rode a compact road bike until I was 14. The thing is,
    the brand wasn't well-known. There are a few specialty companies out
    there making small steel road bikes.

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "clubob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm looking for advice from people with experience putting kids on road
    > bikes. I've checked out the 24inch and 650c versions from
    > manufacturers like Trek and Ibex. My son is about to turn 9 and is 4-7
    > and I can see him close to 5 feet by the end of the year. I think he
    > would be happy with a little 24 inch road bike today but he seems on
    > the cusp of fitting a little 650c or even 700c road bike soon, like a
    > women's specific model. I'd like some advice from people with real
    > world knowledge on this. thanks

    Giant & Bianchi both do *proper* bikes for apprentice humans :)

    I saw the Bianchi one at the International Cycle Show in London and it's
    excellent. If my son was younger than he is, I'd have been looking at that
    bike as a distinct possibility for him.

    See

    http://www.bianchi.com/uk/products/productsDetail.aspx?category=rc_corsarange&idmaster=27330

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/mblxq

    Cheers, helen s

  5. clubob

    clubob Guest

    Thanks for all of the advice. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy
    a new 24inch bike. Now its between the Trek KDR or the Redline
    Conquest 24 or Kona's little cross bike. I'm into cross and I think a
    little cross bike would cover more bases. The Bianchi is cool,
    especially the Campy bits, but its over a grand. Can't have my son
    with a nicer bike than me.

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "clubob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for all of the advice. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy
    > a new 24inch bike. Now its between the Trek KDR or the Redline
    > Conquest 24 or Kona's little cross bike. I'm into cross and I think a
    > little cross bike would cover more bases. The Bianchi is cool,
    > especially the Campy bits, but its over a grand. Can't have my son
    > with a nicer bike than me.

    heh! My son has a much nicer bike than me. He's got a Cervelo Soloist
    complete with Zipp wheels... I haven't!

    Cheers, helen s

  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "clubob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Thanks for all of the advice. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy
    >> a new 24inch bike. Now its between the Trek KDR or the Redline
    >> Conquest 24 or Kona's little cross bike. I'm into cross and I think a
    >> little cross bike would cover more bases. The Bianchi is cool,
    >> especially the Campy bits, but its over a grand. Can't have my son
    >> with a nicer bike than me.
    >>

    > heh! My son has a much nicer bike than me. He's got a Cervelo Soloist
    > complete with Zipp wheels... I haven't!
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Indeed, 'tis here..

    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/wafflycat/KIF_1358.jpg

    Cheers, helen s
    ]

  8. mike

    mike Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "clubob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Thanks for all of the advice. I've decided to bite the bullet and
    >>> buy a new 24inch bike. Now its between the Trek KDR or the Redline
    >>> Conquest 24 or Kona's little cross bike. I'm into cross and I
    >>> think a little cross bike would cover more bases. The Bianchi is
    >>> cool, especially the Campy bits, but its over a grand. Can't have
    >>> my son with a nicer bike than me.
    >>>

    >> heh! My son has a much nicer bike than me. He's got a Cervelo Soloist
    >> complete with Zipp wheels... I haven't!
    >>
    >> Cheers, helen s
    >>

    > Indeed, 'tis here..
    >
    > http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/wafflycat/KIF_1358.jpg
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >]

    ....and have you considered adopting a 45 year old american??? :)

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > ...and have you considered adopting a 45 year old american??? :)

    What!! that would be even more expensive than a 17-year-old Brit kid! ;-)

    Cheers, helen s