road biking in Los Angeles area

mikeywu

Dec 29, 2003
Hi All,
I am visiting Los Angeles and staying with my friend in Sherman Oaks, I have my bike with me and I would like to knwo where one goes for some nice, scenic road rides around here?

Thanks,

Mike,
There are numerous canyon roads between the Ventura Freeway(101) and the beach from your friends up to the Conejo Valley about a half hour north. Check out the Conejo Valley Cyclist's web page for some maps of their frequent rides; or join them one weekend. I think you may really enjoy the one through Hidden Valley- very scenic. I think the address is www.cvcbike.org
Enjoy, Bone

Just be careful, because depnding where you're from, it might be a whole different ballgame, car wise.

I've noticed that drivers out here are a whole lot less comfortable around bikes than drivers from the east coast megacity (that thing that stretches from Boston to DC). I rode daily on the streets of the east coast. Here, I try to find ways to avoid streets.

Thanks, that Hidden valley ride does sound like fun! I will meet up with them at 9:00am this saturday.

Being from the bay area near Palo Alto and Los Altos, I am familiar with cars and county road riding. but I will be careful just to be safe, no sense coming home with anything broken..

Best,

Mike

Thanks, that Hidden valley ride does sound like fun! I will meet up with them at 9:00am this saturday.

Being from the bay area near Palo Alto and Los Altos, I am familiar with cars and county road riding. but I will be careful just to be safe, no sense coming home with anything broken..

Best,

Mike

Well, most of my bay area experience is from SFO and marin, where people seem to be pretty nice to cyclists, compared to LA.

But if you're riding out in the canyons, it shouldn't be a huge problem. Just watch out for big haired blondes talking on their cell while whipping their porsche around the corners at 65! :D

Have fun! The weather's been perfect lately. Not too hot, with a nice overcast so you don't get a glove tan.

make sure u drive out to downtown LA area and try and ride up FARGO st.
33% grade..
lots of fun hehehe

Fargo Street........YEAH, I just did that last weekend at the LA wheelmen's annual event. I did it on a mountain bike which makes it easier. Take the 101 east to the 5 south and after a couple miles the 2 south and exit the first offramp which is Glendale blvd. Fargo is ont the south side of the freeway and worththe trip. Just about 15 minutes from your friends. It is supposed to be the steepest street in LA.
Have fun, Bone

Originally posted by bone
Fargo Street........YEAH, I just did that last weekend at the LA wheelmen's annual event. I did it on a mountain bike which makes it easier. Take the 101 east to the 5 south and after a couple miles the 2 south and exit the first offramp which is Glendale blvd. Fargo is ont the south side of the freeway and worththe trip. Just about 15 minutes from your friends. It is supposed to be the steepest street in LA.
Have fun, Bone

did anyone fall backwards?
hehe i saw it on the news...ppl zigzagging for like 30 mins!
funny stuff!
how was ur time?

IZ,
I didn't time myself to the top. I would guess 2 or 3 minutes. I can tell you my HR was maxed! Yes, people were falling all over the place. Some that you were sure would ride straight up and over fell over before they were a third of the way up. Others that did not appear to be in the greatest shape were able to make the crest. It was facinating trying to guess who would make it and who would fail.It was the first time I had been to the event and I'm already looking forward to next year.
Bone