Road biking in my 2nd life...

Chuckstyl5

May 12, 2011
Well I am 28 120lbs and just had a double lung transplant and feel like I can rule the world!! I had end stage cystic fibrosis and transplant was an amazing option!! That being said and the amount of energy I have I want to do something healthy and keep these lungs in shape for MANY years. I need your help on choosing a bike! I have been to so many LBS to get ideas I am in the $1500 price range and I am leaning towards a Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5 105 but also a Trek 2.3 ... I do like Fuji's but haven't looked into them too much. Also Specialized --- basically I am looking for an endurance bike more then race otherwise I would go with the CAAD 10 --- I am open to ALL suggestions and comments! Also if anyone knows a good LBS that might help me out with price too (lung transplants aren't cheap) Thank you for you time and input! Some pics for your enjoyment
photo1-1.jpg
photo4-1.jpg
photo3.jpg

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hi, Chuck, and welcome to the forums.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I'm fairly new to biking and don't have a clue what bike to tell you to get, other than that all the brands you mentioned are good ones, and get one that feels good when you get on her. The more technically experienced guys here will be happy to make suggestions on that. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]But I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your transplant and BEST WISHES for continued health for many, many years. "Sixtyfive roses" has taken too many young lives in our country. I'm so glad yours isn't going to be one of them. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Happy pedaling! Enjoy breathing in that fresh, clean air.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Sierra[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hey Chuck... First of all Congratulations, and second, you've picked a great sport to be curious about if you want to stay in shape for "many years."

A couple of things about your questions... You asked about advise on some of the Local Bike Shops in your area, but didn't specify where your local area is. Also, you make a distinction that you want to be more in to Endurance than Racing, and that is something you're keeping in mind as you look at bikes. I'm not sure how one precludes another. If you are looking for a little more comfort I would understand that... because there are different geometries that do different things for a bike. A more "comfortable" bike is going to have a longer wheelbase and a seat tube that is less steep, where as a more agile bike will have the shorter wheelbase and the seat tube will be more steep (there are more differences between the two but that was offered as an example). But a "racing" bike is not going to be any less capable of endurance, it just may not be quite as plush to ride. But back in my racing days I was logging 500-700 miles a week on my "racing" bike.

It seems like you're doing the right thing by going to multiple shops. It's a really good idea to look around and find a GOOD SHOP while you look for the right bike. A good shop will really help you out as you get in to the sport. A bad shop is going to bleed you of a lot of money.

One suggestion about a bike brand I think you should look at... See if you can find a Felt dealer near you. They are awesome bikes, they look great too. Felt bikes are normally just a bit lower priced than the big 3 (Trek, Cannondale, Specialized) because Felt is relatively new, they don't have the big time reputation. But they are a solid company, Jim Felt is a very accomplished Bike designer.

And please.... don't buy a Cannondale.

Congratulations again Chuck, and I hope you have millions of miles of enjoyment on your new machine...

If you get a chance... Follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason" http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/

I'm in Northern New Jersey - Why do you say please don't buy a cannondale? I'm kinda set on that one right now for the price and what you get. Also it's seems like the Synapse is a pretty comfortable bike yet holds it's performance. Does anyone have any suggestion to synapse equivalent bikes? Thank you Charlie

LOL... I guess it's all a matter of preferance. I said "please don't get a Cannondale" because I've always hated them for some reason. I know the brand has been much improved since back when I used to race. But back then only posers road Cannondales.

If you're looking for a Synapse equivilant (assuming you're looking for the equivilant of a Shimano 105 equiped Synapse) I'd suggest looking at Felt and Specialized, in Specialized you'd be looking at the Tamac (the Tarmac 105 might be a little more $$$, but the Tarmac Rival will be in the price range you're looking at) and in Felt you'd be looking at the F5, the Z5 or the Z6 (just keep in mind the Z6 in less expensive but the shifters it comes with are Micro Shift, not 105 STI, some people don't like the Micro Shift) The Ridley Orion 105 is also right in that price range.

Like I said... It's all a matter of preferance. And like I said, I'm sure Cannondale is better than it was back 18 years ago when I raced, but I just can't shake the thought that I would never own a Cannondale... and none of my old racing partners (that still race) would have ever owned a Cannondale either. My closest friends... that I used to mash a whole bunch of miles with back in the day own... Ridley, Specialized, and Cervelo... my buddy that owns a shop has a few Felts and he loves every one of them.

If you're looking at a Synapse 105 (or close to it) you're looking to spend a pretty good chunk of change on a bike... just make sure to look around and be SURE the bike is the one you want, and the shop you are buying it from is the best shop and you feel comfortable dealing with them.

Originally Posted by Chuckstyl5 .

I'm in Northern New Jersey - Why do you say please don't buy a cannondale? I'm kinda set on that one right now for the price and what you get. Also it's seems like the Synapse is a pretty comfortable bike yet holds it's performance. Does anyone have any suggestion to synapse equivalent bikes? Thank you

Charlie
The Cannondale Synapse was the "Cycling" Magazine bike of the year for 2010. I own three Cannondales two road bikes and one mountain bike. I stand by them loyally because all three performed flawlessly.
I live in New England and my Synapse is my favorite.

Hi Chuck,
Cogratulations on your sucessful transplant. I think it is a great honor to your donor that you are planning on taking care of and using the gift bestowed upon you.

Make sure that when you do decide on a bike you get one that makes you happy. After all it will be your bike regardless of make and model.

Keep us posted as you venture off into cycling. You will find it fun and rewarding.

Good Luck Dave

I appreciate ALL your input!! I hope to see some if you out there riding one day -- in the near future I will probably put together a little fundraiser ride for my medical bills and will keep you all posted!

Congrats on your amazing transplant success!

I would second the opinion of getting a Felt. When comparing Felt to Trek to Cannondale and Specialized, I found that for the money, Felt had higher-end components. For instance, we got my husband a felt with an aluminum frame and carbon fork, running the Shimano 105 groupset for about $1000 including tax. My bike is full carbon running the Tiagra (lower step on the ladder but still good), and I was able to pick up last year's model for $1300 including tax.

Great deals can be had if you are good with last year's paint! But Felt really is, I think, the most bang for your buck. At the same level I think the Cannondale was running the Sora group? It has been a few weeks but make sure you print and compare everything. Once you know exactly what you want, call around to bike shops and see what they will do for you. If they have it on the floor, they might knock 10% off for you.

I swear these bikes....it feels like buying a car. Now that I have purchased my first round of everything, I may start buying online! :)

Originally Posted by davereo .

The Cannondale Synapse was the "Cycling" Magazine bike of the year for 2010. I own three Cannondales two road bikes and one mountain bike. I stand by them loyally because all three performed flawlessly.
I live in New England and my Synapse is my favorite.

Sorry... But the Cycling Magazine "bike of the year" stuff just doesn't do it for me and never did. You say it was Cycling Magazine's bike of the year in 2010??? I wonder which bike manufacturer paid Cycling Magazine the most Advertising fees in 2010... I'll be the answer is Cannondale.

And after some thought on why I feel the way I do about Cannondale (and Trek) I've come to the conclusion that the biggest factors are... They are priced higher than many other brands, with comparable models. And I have to be honest... the LBS that carries those two brands is owned and ran by a bunch of A-holes... The later may be playing largely in to my feelings on Cannondale and Trek.

But the "Bike of the year" stuff is still bullcrap when you boil it down. Smaller bike companies aren't even considered for stuff like that because they don't shell out a bunch of money for ad space.

Originally Posted by ProdigalCyclist .

Sorry... But the Cycling Magazine "bike of the year" stuff just doesn't do it for me and never did. You say it was Cycling Magazine's bike of the year in 2010??? I wonder which bike manufacturer paid Cycling Magazine the most Advertising fees in 2010... I'll be the answer is Cannondale.

And after some thought on why I feel the way I do about Cannondale (and Trek) I've come to the conclusion that the biggest factors are... They are priced higher than many other brands, with comparable models. And I have to be honest... the LBS that carries those two brands is owned and ran by a bunch of A-holes... The later may be playing largely in to my feelings on Cannondale and Trek.

But the "Bike of the year" stuff is still bullcrap when you boil it down. Smaller bike companies aren't even considered for stuff like that because they don't shell out a bunch of money for ad space.

Lets face it all these bikes Felt , Trek, Specialized and Cannondale are built in the same factory's in Asia. Last I checked they all used Shimano and Sram components. So if you want to throw one bike to the heap of **** that is your opinion and not a fact. Lets face it you only have a few rides under your belt over the last fifteen years. You may not be in a position to offer blanket reviews bases on your dated knowledge. Yes I have to agree about advertising dollars to an ad driven rag. All of the big bike companies and some of the smaller boutique makers are contributing to the same coffers.

As far as the bike of the year reference I was trying to let the OP know that they are making a good choice. You are the one whom decided to **** on his dream.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Lets face it all these bikes Felt , Trek, Specialized and Cannondale are built in the same factory's in Asia. Last I checked they all used Shimano and Sram components. So if you want to throw one bike to the heap of **** that is your opinion and not a fact. Lets face it you only have a few rides under your belt over the last fifteen years. You may not be in a position to offer blanket reviews bases on your dated knowledge. Yes I have to agree about advertising dollars to an ad driven rag. All of the big bike companies and some of the smaller boutique makers are contributing to the same coffers.

As far as the bike of the year reference I was trying to let the OP know that they are making a good choice. You are the one whom decided to **** on his dream.

Whoa there Big Dave... Let's not get our panties all bunched up there. I think I even came out and said that part of the reason I don't like Cannondales is the fact that the Local Bike Shop that sells them is run by a bunch of Aholes. So I think I made it pretty clear that my opinion is tainted a little just by that. You're right that most of these bikes are built in Asia and most of them come with pretty much the same components... so that begs the question... why is Cannondale priced so much higher? (relatively speaking)

The point that they were Cycling Magazines "bike of the year" doesn't tell anyone anything. Other than Cannondale spent a lot of money buying ad space in Cycling magazine. Let's be honest... you know that as well as I do.

Now... to the fact that I havn't been an active rider in a while... you're right... I haven't. But I have kept up with the industry over the years. As I have said, I have a close friend that owns a Bike shop here in the Valley (CA) I also have a close friend that has managed a bike shop for over 10 years. And I also have a close friend that worked for Specialized in Morgan Hill for a long time as well. They have all raced for the entire time I have been away from the bike, the guy that worked for Specialized raced in Europe for 5+ years prior to going to work for Specialized. And it's a funny thing that when I was talking to them about getting back on the bike, and getting a New Machine, after I got started on my nostolgic bike.... NONE of them suggested I even look at a Cannondale. They all suggested I look at the same 4 Manufacturers... those would be Specialized, Felt, Ridley, and Cervelo. I have a few friends that have also been involved in the racing community for the last 20 years that also offered Orbea as another choice. But NO ONE suggested a Cannondale.

So you may like Cannondale... and that's cool. I didn't say they ARE junk, and I think I was pretty clear that a lot could have changed in the last 15+ years. But I will also say that I have sought the advise of MANY (very experienced) riders about my next investment in a bike BECAUSE I have been out so long and Cannondale has never even been offered as a suggestion.

I would love an orbea :) I do think it will be a Cannondale though Carbon 6 Synapse with SRAM components ... I think I will be happy :)