road cassette (11-23 or 11-21)

> Are there other 11-23 (or 11-21) 9 speed rear cassettes available than Shimano Ultegra (HG70) and
> Dura-Ace?

Campagnolo 9-speed cassettes should be available in those sizes, but I'm guessing that you need a
Shimano-compatible cassette.

105 doesn't seem to be available in anything smaller than 12-23. In a way it makes sense too, 11-21
and 11-23 are very much racing gearing (at least for the typical upright bicycle), and in those
circumstances you don't usually use 105 or Tiagra. Ultegra cassettes are available for 45 EUR or so,
so it's not particularly steep?

-as

Antti Salonen <[email protected]> wrote:
: [email protected] wrote:

:> Are there other 11-23 (or 11-21) 9 speed rear cassettes available than Shimano Ultegra (HG70) and
:> Dura-Ace?

: Campagnolo 9-speed cassettes should be available in those sizes, but I'm guessing that you need a
: Shimano-compatible cassette.

Yup.

Actually I could use a cassette with only 9 or 10 teeth smallest cog. Don't know if such are
available, maybe I read about such in a Shimano groupset aimed for small wheel bicycles, don't
recall much about it. Think only people who ride odd vehicles with 20" rear wheels would buy
them anyway.

: don't usually use 105 or Tiagra. Ultegra cassettes are available for 45 EUR or so, so it's not
: particularly steep?

Saw about 52,- in online shop. Any local/virtual shops I should check? Velosport?

> : don't usually use 105 or Tiagra. Ultegra cassettes are available for 45 EUR or so, so it's not
> : particularly steep?

> Saw about 52,- in online shop. Any local/virtual shops I should check? Velosport?

I don't know about local, but Bike Components in Germany is a reliable shop which lists Ultegra
cassettes at EUR 43.70:

http://www.bike-components.de/

-as

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:32:44 +0000, risto.varank wrote:

> Actually I could use a cassette with only 9 or 10 teeth smallest cog. Don't know if such are
> available,

I heard rumors about a 10, but I don't know whether it would be compatible with standard hubs. And
it would definitely be only in high-end models.

> maybe I read about such in a Shimano groupset aimed for small wheel bicycles, don't recall much
> about it. Think only people who ride odd vehicles with 20" rear wheels would buy them anyway.

Why not get a bigger chainring?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | We have a record of conquet, colonization and expansion _`\(,_ | unequalled by any people
in the Nineteenth Century. We are not (_)/ (_) | to be curbed now. --Henry Cabot Lodge, 1895

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
: On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:32:44 +0000, risto.varank wrote:

:> Actually I could use a cassette with only 9 or 10 teeth smallest cog. Don't know if such are
:> available,

: I heard rumors about a 10, but I don't know whether it would be compatible with standard hubs. And
: it would definitely be only in high-end models.

They also wear out faster than sprockets with more teeth.

: Why not get a bigger chainring?

Maybe that's the way to go. But I like to explore all the options.

news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

The group is called Capreo. See: http://www.dahon.com/news6.htm. For pictures, go to
www.velovision.com and seach on Capreo.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
> : On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:32:44 +0000, risto.varank wrote:
>
> :> Actually I could use a cassette with only 9 or 10 teeth smallest cog. Don't know if such are
> :> available,
>
> : I heard rumors about a 10, but I don't know whether it would be
compatible
> : with standard hubs. And it would definitely be only in high-end models.

SNIP

I'd love a 1-tooth cog, but in the absence of one of these, a 4-tooth would be funny
enough. Mark Lee