Road cassettes with MTB group?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DeF, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. DeF

    DeF Guest

    My commuter has 27sp Deore running gear
    with an 11-32 (9 speed) cassette on the back.
    I find this too spread out and would like to
    put on something like a 12-25 (or even 12-23)
    that is available for 9sp shimano road systems.

    So, are Shimano road/MTB 9 speed cassettes
    compatible? I imagine that I might need to
    modify chain length but I was thinking of the
    indexing.

    Cheers,
    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

    Tags:

  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    I cant answer your question, but are you sure you want to give up that 11 tooth? I was thinking Sora 11-23 on my mtb/commute.. but its hard to find 8 spd stuff these days... opted for a 11-28.. I even used the granny/28 today up Yarra St.. :)

    cheers,
    GPL
    :easy ride day:

  3. Evan

    Evan Guest

    DeF wrote:
    > So, are Shimano road/MTB 9 speed cassettes
    > compatible?

    Yep. Also SRAM are compatible.

    > I imagine that I might need to modify chain length but I was
    > thinking of the indexing.

    You will need to shorten the chain. Indexing will be the same if you
    stay at the same number of speeds, that is 9. If you were going the
    other way, say putting a 34 "mountain" gear on a "road" bike you may
    need a longer armed rear derailleur.

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-13, gplama (aka Bruce)
    > DeF Wrote:
    >> My commuter has 27sp Deore running gear
    >> with an 11-32 (9 speed) cassette on the back.
    >> I find this too spread out and would like to
    >> put on something like a 12-25 (or even 12-23)
    >> that is available for 9sp shimano road systems.

    > I cant answer your question, but are you sure you want to give up that
    > 11 tooth? I was thinking Sora 11-23 on my mtb/commute.. but its hard
    > to find 8 spd stuff these days... opted for a 11-28.. I even used the
    > granny/28 today up Yarra St.. :)
    >
    > cheers,
    > GPL
    >:easy ride day:

    Next you'll be telling us you've installed a triple!

    --
    TimC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics

  5. Kev

    Kev Guest

    "Evan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > DeF wrote:
    >> So, are Shimano road/MTB 9 speed cassettes
    >> compatible?

    > Yep. Also SRAM are compatible.
    >
    >> I imagine that I might need to modify chain length but I was
    > > thinking of the indexing.

    > You will need to shorten the chain. Indexing will be the same if you stay
    > at the same number of speeds, that is 9. If you were going the other way,
    > say putting a 34 "mountain" gear on a "road" bike you may need a longer
    > armed rear derailleur.

    Hi There,

    The cassettes are compatible, no problems. I run a 12 - 23 on my MTB for
    commuting, SRAM should be fine as I alternate it on my road bike.

    However, not sure why you would shorten the chain as the range of speeds and
    teeth etc will be with the range offered by the old MTB cassette. That is
    you could change the chain length but don't have to, as you may wish to
    change back to a MTB cassette at some later date. Perhaps someone here can
    explain why you would Need to change chain length, cos I can't see it.

    Kev

  6. Evan

    Evan Guest

    Kev wrote:

    > However, not sure why you would shorten the chain as the range of speeds and
    > teeth etc will be with the range offered by the old MTB cassette.

    My mistake. Kev is correct. No need to shorten the chain.

  7. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-02-13, gplama (aka Bruce)
    > > DeF Wrote:
    > >> My commuter has 27sp Deore running gear
    > >> with an 11-32 (9 speed) cassette on the back.
    > >> I find this too spread out and would like to
    > >> put on something like a 12-25 (or even 12-23)
    > >> that is available for 9sp shimano road systems.

    > > I cant answer your question, but are you sure you want to give up that
    > > 11 tooth? I was thinking Sora 11-23 on my mtb/commute.. but its hard
    > > to find 8 spd stuff these days... opted for a 11-28.. I even used the
    > > granny/28 today up Yarra St.. :)
    > >
    > > cheers,
    > > GPL
    > >:easy ride day:

    > Next you'll be telling us you've installed a triple!

    He's got a 2 stroke motor on the back.

  8. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    MTB comes with one standard :) Waiting for the '07 XT/XTR stuff to come out with only a double.. granny is dead..

    cheers,
    GPL

  9. DeF

    DeF Guest

    gplama wrote:
    > DeF Wrote:
    >> My commuter has 27sp Deore running gear
    >> with an 11-32 (9 speed) cassette on the back.
    >> I find this too spread out and would like to
    >> put on something like a 12-25 (or even 12-23)
    >> that is available for 9sp shimano road systems.
    >>

    > I cant answer your question, but are you sure you want to give up that
    > 11 tooth? I was thinking Sora 11-23 on my mtb/commute.. but its hard
    > to find 8 spd stuff these days... opted for a 11-28.. I even used the
    > granny/28 today up Yarra St.. :)
    >
    > cheers,
    > GPL
    > :easy ride day:

    Well, I've only *very rarely* used the 11 thus far. I would
    much rather have more ratios to choose from in the middle
    of the range. In the end, I've gone for a tiagra 12-23
    and based on other posts (ta, Kev), I'll leave the chain
    length as is (I'm also replacing this). If the set up is
    not quite right, I'll just wait until I wear it out and
    get another one! Brilliant!

    The new set up 12-23 with a 21-32-44 front gives me a nice
    spread of 60.2 to 95.3 inch over 7 gears on the "big" (as
    a roadie, I find it hard to call 44 'big') ring. Perth is
    pretty flat and I've got the middle ring doing 39.6 to 59.4.
    The granny should get me up any slope, with any load against
    any headwind, at least on the road.

    Now I need to get home to put it all on and go for a ride..

    DeF.

    PS My spell checker wants to replace gplama with "eggplant". WTF?