road cycle spec question

Hello --

For all you cycling enthusiasts out there, I have a question with respect to the bike frame. I know
the frame is essentially a diamond shape. Therefore, can anyone tell me if the four sides have a
specific name? e.g.:

What is the name of the portion that runs from the saddle to the front fork? The fork down to the
chain mechanism? The chain to the rear spoke? And the rear spoke back to the saddle? Lastly, does
the post that runs from the saddle down to the chain have a name too?

I need this for a spec I'm writing. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-dan

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 02:44:04 GMT, "D" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello --
>
>For all you cycling enthusiasts out there, I have a question with respect to the bike frame. I know
>the frame is essentially a diamond shape. Therefore, can anyone tell me if the four sides have a
>specific name? e.g.:
>
>What is the name of the portion that runs from the saddle to the front fork?

Top tube.

>The fork down to the chain mechanism?

The forker tube.

>The chain to the rear spoke?

Chain stay.
>And the rear spoke back to the saddle?

Seat stay.

>Lastly, does the post that runs from the saddle down to the chain have a name too?

Seat tube.

>I need this for a spec I'm writing. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
>-dan

Sparhawk

"D" <[email protected]> wrote in news:UHk%9.146145$_s4.51946@rwcrnsc54:

> Hello --
>
> For all you cycling enthusiasts out there, I have a question with respect to the bike frame. I
> know the frame is essentially a diamond shape. Therefore, can anyone tell me if the four sides
> have a specific name? e.g.:
>
> What is the name of the portion that runs from the saddle to the front fork?

What are you smoking? It must be some good ****. I'm going to assume you mean the top tube (though
the top tube actually runs from the seat tube to the head tube).

The fork down to the chain mechanism?

Must be *really* good ****. I'm going to interperet this to mean the down tube (though the down tube
actually runs from the head tube to the bottom bracket shell).

> The chain to the rear spoke?

Hydro? Chronic? I guess you mean the chain stays (though the chain stays actually run from the
bottom bracket shell to the axle of the rear wheel).

> And the rear spoke back to the saddle?

You're trippin. You must be on acid or something. Taking your LSD ingestion into account, I'm going
to assume you're talking about the seat stays (though the seat stays actually run from axle of the
rear wheel to the seat tube).

> Lastly, does the post that runs from the saddle down to the chain have a name too?

Quit smoking crack? I guess you're talking about the seat tube (though the seat tube actually runs
from where the bottom bracket shell to the seat post).

> I need this for a spec I'm writing. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> -dan

You're welcome.

-B

> What is the name of the portion that runs from the saddle to the front
fork?
- If you're talking about the tube that runs across the top of the bike, from saddle to headtube,
that's the top tube.

> The fork down to the chain mechanism?
- That would be the down tube.

> The chain to the rear spoke?
- The pair are called chainstays.

> And the rear spoke back to the saddle?
- Those would be the seatstays.

> Lastly, does the post that runs from the saddle down to the chain have a name too?
- Seat tube

You're missing the head tube, which the fork runs through across the front of the bike.

In general, these are questions best asked in rec.bicycles.tech than in rec.bicycles.racing. This
forum is reserved primarily to flame & insult people who are either wannabe racers, washed-up
has-been racers (count me in this column), present-day racers who spend way too much time on the
'net so it's obvious why they aren't more successful, and a very, very small number of truly
worthwhile posts that get lost in all the drivel.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

"D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:UHk%9.146145$_s4.51946@rwcrnsc54...
> Hello --
>
> For all you cycling enthusiasts out there, I have a question with respect
> the bike frame. I know the frame is essentially a diamond shape.
Therefore,
> can anyone tell me if the four sides have a specific name? e.g.:
>
> What is the name of the portion that runs from the saddle to the front
fork?
> The fork down to the chain mechanism? The chain to the rear spoke? And the rear spoke back to the
> saddle? Lastly, does the post that runs from the saddle down to the chain have a name too?
>
> I need this for a spec I'm writing. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> -dan

mucho thanks to everyone...

news:[email protected]...