Road cycling events in Victoria

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
Last year I rode the Alpine Classic and Around the Bay. My goal is to ride the Tour of Bright within the next few years.

Are there any other well organised road cycling events around the 150-200+km mark, preferably including climbs?

I've checked out Audax and Bicycle Victoria, and the long tours look interesting, but I'd prefer a day race with a few climbs to focus on...

Walrus said:
Last year I rode the Alpine Classic and Around the Bay. My goal is to ride the Tour of Bright within the next few years.

Are there any other well organised road cycling events around the 150-200+km mark, preferably including climbs?

I've checked out Audax and Bicycle Victoria, and the long tours look interesting, but I'd prefer a day race with a few climbs to focus on...

Any specific area? Have a look through the CSV site for clubs,
http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Links/links.htm

Is membership for Middle Distance Bicycle Club still 'closed'?

Hmm, has a BR gone over 150km yet? :p Plenty of hill climbs on that. (so I've heard)

cfsmtb said:
Any specific area? Have a look through the CSV site for clubs,
http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Links/links.htm

Is membership for Middle Distance Bicycle Club still 'closed'?

Hmm, has a BR gone over 150km yet? :p Plenty of hill climbs on that. (so I've heard)
I found that site and like the look of the Tour of the Southern Grampians and the Baw Baw Road Classic. I guess I need to join a club and see how I go...

Thanks.

cfsmtb wrote:
> Hmm, has a BR gone over 150km yet? :p Plenty of hill climbs on that.
> (so I've heard)

Ess pushed very close to that on Sunday.. anything over 100kms with
decent hills becomes a whole day event (incl. recovery).. which wont
suit everyone..

Anyone is free to do a few laps of Burgundy St to get their Kms up at
the end of a BR ;)

cheers,
GPL

GPLama said:
cfsmtb wrote:
> Hmm, has a BR gone over 150km yet? :p Plenty of hill climbs on that.
> (so I've heard)

Ess pushed very close to that on Sunday.. anything over 100kms with
decent hills becomes a whole day event (incl. recovery).. which wont
suit everyone..

Anyone is free to do a few laps of Burgundy St to get their Kms up at
the end of a BR ;)

cheers,
GPL

BR 'ride-guide'. come along and perhaps add a few sections/loops to get what you want. You'll be at the back of the coffee/muffin queue tho :D:D

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/other_resources/BR_map_2darker.pdf

Walrus wrote:
> Looks good. What are the average speeds on flats and up hills. And
> how long does the whole ride take.

Speed varies greatly... hence the waiting spots, allowing people to do
their own thing.. I leave Kew at around 6:45 and am home around 11ish..
my avg speed for the route on the map has been around 28.5 to just under
30..

cheers,
GPL

Walrus said:
Looks good. What are the average speeds on flats and up hills. And how long does the whole ride take.

Well...

7:20am start (7:30 due to 'slack' people :rolleyes: )
get to smiths gully caf usually @ 9-9:15am ish if having done Alma Rd loop too.
I usually get home (near start) at about 11:00am'ish

you could add Kinglake like others have the last couple.
On the flats we sit 25-35kph depending :rolleyes:

Warrandyte-KG is a personal-TT thing where we all start together do our own thing and meet at KG primSchool or the SG caf.
Section between StA and Hurstbridge is treated as a flat TT/rolling turns by some and just a cruise or short-cutted by others.
We cater for all kinds/sizes with vastly varying speeds amongst the regulars. We try and tweek things to accomodate the variations and people's lust fer more or less.

If you have done Alpine your well and truly up for it.
Some of our climbs get as nastee as Tawonga (return side) but are 'only' 100-500m in length (individual hills to KG, start of Alma Rd and Burgundy St). the rest is just, well, up,down,around, along.
Im crit'ing this Sunday but the others will look after you...

wont you lads/ladettes? :D

F"ooooh. there's a 2m rise at Glenvale"Dutch

flyingdutch said:
[...]

Thanks. I've done a similar route from my place in Kew, up Plenty road to Whittlesea, over King Lake and back past St Andrews so I'm familiar with the terrain. I'll join you guys soon.

TimC wrote:
> Damn you. You're scary-fast :)

No, come to the crits and watch A grade (and people who dont get dropped
from B).. now they are scary-fast!.. and that dude who had a 30+ second
break on the A bunch.. thats scary-fast AND nuts...

cheers,
GPL
:eek:ne day I'll 'B':

GPLama wrote:
> Walrus wrote:
>
>> Looks good. What are the average speeds on flats and up hills. And
>> how long does the whole ride take.
>>

> Speed varies greatly... hence the waiting spots, allowing people to do
> their own thing.. I leave Kew at around 6:45 and am home around 11ish..
> my avg speed for the route on the map has been around 28.5 to just under
> 30..
>

> cheers,
> GPL

And I'd be other end of the scale, with avg speed around 25. I don't
look at my speed up the hills, too embarassing, I just watch the cadence.

DaveB